IGNORED

Does anybody else rock a CRT?

There is no way I'm picking up a TV off the curb. I will not take one unless I see it works. Nowadays you have these idiots tossing TV's out in the rain and snow and everything else.

Are they really idiots? ..those that throw electronics and TV's curbside.. They're just getting rid of stuff in the easiest most efficient (to them) manner possible.

A number of years ago I had a garage sale, all sorts of low-end and mid-range stereo and tv stuff. VCR's, speakers, TV's, loads of Pentium IV computers (the hot'n'heavy kind) nobody wanted. Sold some of it about 40%. The rest we put curbside. I bashed it up so it wasn't really usable. Sort of. The sale money went toward a new lawn tractor and I practiced pushing stuff around.

A neighbor was upset that I didn't save any of it. I told him he shoulda bought it.

Are they really idiots?

In my area yes they are. You have to pay to get old CRT's taken. The garbage company will not pick them up, they will just sit there. These people toss them out "hoping" someone will come take them. I even see these morons posting pictures on facebook saying FREE come take it, while it is pouring outside.

If you want someone to take something you shouldn't destroy it.

• Like 1

I got my a perfect JVC 27" CRT last summer that was on the curb, the family was moving by the looks of it. Works perfectly. Even if it didn't, I know a scrap collector so no loss. Just had to get a remote from ebay. It was clean as well, I think I got it hours after they put it out. None of that stuff lasts around here. If it's metal, the scrappers come by and take it.

• Like 1

Here's my main gaming (and video tape yes, VHS & Beta) set-up:

It's a 1999 Home Theater Premier 32" RCA floor model. Awesome picture and great stereo sound.

attachicon.gif32inchRCAfloor.jpg

Sorry I don't play much modern games. They just aren't my thing. I do have a wii in that floor model, but that's mainly for my youngest daughter. Yes, I do own a modern-ish flat panel (46" LED Samsung 1080p), but that is not in my basement. The basement is basically my hobby room.

I actually own six other CRT TV's ranging from 27"(JVC) down to 12"(Sony).

CRT's have never left my house. For that reason I never looked at CRT's as a pain because they are heavy/bulky. I just see them as TV's (nature of the beast sort of thing).

In Love! Man, I wish I could find a set like that! Nice setup!

In Love! Man, I wish I could find a set like that! Nice setup!

Thanks!

I can tell you that my RCA tv is not a new find. I actually bought it new back in 1999. I just never got rid of it. Back then flat tv's were not common place yet and still quite expensive. Finding a floor model TV is kind of difficult as they were not in style at the time I bought it. I remember the furniture store (where it was purchased) only had two floor model TVs. Both RCA, the 32 inch that I have and a 27 inch that looked just like my 32" only smaller (obviously). By the 1990's most people didn't want floor model sets (everyone had those big wall entertainment centers), so it is a little difficult these days to find one of these TV sets from this time frame (meaning late 1990's floor model).

• Like 1

In context, we were talking about use with the OSSC. Which can pass along 480i over HDMI.

So HDTVs will only de-interlace video if it's over HDMI? o_O Weird.

Gonna be sweet to record my high scores on a VCR tape and send them in to Nintendo Power.

Good luck. Those built-in VCRs don't last long =)

Latest dump table pick up:

Everything works, composite stereo in, and composite OUTS, oddly.

Gonna be sweet to record my high scores on a VCR tape and send them in to Nintendo Power.

AwctB9X.jpg

Oh man, that is a sweet TV. Even if you do not use the VCR, Aiwa are cool systems. I own a compact Aiwa home stereo, the cassette deck handled tapes just like a car player insert sideways.

• Like 1

So HDTVs will only de-interlace video if it's over HDMI? o_O Weird.

I didn't say that. :? If the HDTV still has an analog input, it will still deinterlace analog video. But as you mentioned, composite is terrible quality if that's what you're plugging in. The OSSC will pass along a digital 480i that was sourced from high quality analog video connections (component, RGB). My 4K set has neither of those analog inputs.

Today I picked up a nice TV set from my family's estate sale. Good news is that it's a Philips/Magavox with an aperture grille so it's late 90's or early 2000's, but it only has an RF input so I took the accompanying VCR for A/V hookups.

Not the best CRT but I plan on using it for my Atari systems and maybe pick up a Retron 3 for post-Crash cart games.

post-63971-0-62636800-1523988560_thumb.jpg

Picked up this 27" Sony this morning. It was advertised as a barely used, basement tv. Got there and immediately noticed several bumps and scratches on the case, but the picture didn't have any issues, so i paid the 20 bucks he was asking and went on my way.

• Like 6

Sure do! 39" Phillips for all my light gun and 8-16 bit gaming needs. This thing weighs about 150-200pnds and takes two large men to move. Love it though, and has S Video inputs. Manufactured 2003, must have been one of the last.

Was free on Craigslist (had to promise to move it myself) very good condition and came with the remote

post-38373-0-46117000-1523997211_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

attachicon.gifIMG_20180417_123159-1-1.jpg

Picked up this 27" Sony this morning. It was advertised as a barely used, basement tv. Got there and immediately noticed several bumps and scratches on the case, but the picture didn't have any issues, so i paid the 20 bucks he was asking and went on my way.

I've got a similar one, but it says Trinitron instead of WEGA. My neighbor gave it to me, said her kids bought her an LCD and she just wanted to get rid of it. I have my YurkieVision, Genesis, and S-Video modded Astrocade hooked up to it.

I also have an old 19" Magnavox I bought in the early 90's. Never used it much all those years, but now it's got a 7800, Flashback 2, and Intellivision Flashback on it. It's on a wheeled wire rack, I can hide it away and then roll it out for my annual 4th of July party.

What I'd LOVE to know is that for you handful of guys who state that a CRT TV is your sole TV, why that is? Like what has stopped you from getting a new TV in all these years, especially considering the relatively low prices for some pretty nice sets these days. I'm not even talking 4K HDR/DolbyV sets here, but regular old 1080p-level sets. I can imagine it must take some pretty herculean efforts and significant compromises to rock a small glass screen these days considering most content is optimized for widescreens and at least 720p/1080i resolutions, as well as HDMI connections.

You may notice in my pic that the LCD is NOT turned on... I only use that when I'm watching a a Blu-Ray disc or for the PS4 (which gets Very little use... I only play Friday the 13th, it's my sons, and he doesn't play it at ALL... he plays his GBA and DS mostly. And since Movies these days suck, I still usually watch my old VHS tapes rather than BluRays.

Hell even Star Wars, (aside from special edition bullshit) I'm just SO USED to seeing the classic trilogy in 4:3 that the 16:9 version turn me off... I see everyhting so differently in those versions.

Particularly RotJ... the scenes where C-3P0 is telling the story to the Ewoks, and The Emperor is force-lightning Luke... they look completely different when you compare the 16:9 version to the 4:3 pan&scan version.... it's night and day .