IGNORED

Does anybody else rock a CRT?

My consoles are hooked up to a 24" Sanyo CRT, which works fine, but I don't know if I have a good pic. It's the perfect size for 8-bit games imho and while the colors are a little dull the picture is pretty clear with a traditional RF connection.

My XEGS and c64 use this 12" Toshiba, while the //c uses its classic green screen:

8-bit Computer Setup

• Like 1

That is amazing. Please tell me you have a Christmas tree up next to that setup in December. It would look fantastic in that room.

As a matter of fact I do. Since this is in our living room, it's where we set up the tree since I moved into my current bedroom. I'll find a picture and I'll put it up.

Edited by mhmrules
  • Like 1

I have way too many CRTs.

Televisions
==============================
JVC Model C-21TX1EK 21"
Sony FD Trinitron KV-14LT1U 14"
Sony Trinitron KV-X2582U CRT TV 28"
Monitors
Acorn AKF30 RGB Monitor
Amstrad CTM644 Colour Monitor No.1
Amstrad CTM644 Colour Monitor No.2
Amstrad CTM644 Colour Monitor No.3
Atari SC1435 RGB Colour Monitor
Commodore 1701
Philips CM8833 Mark 1
Philips CM8833 Mark 2
Viewsonic 15" SVGA CRT Monitor.
  • Like 2

I have way too many CRTs.

Televisions
JVC Model C-21TX1EK 21"
Sony FD Trinitron KV-14LT1U 14"
Sony Trinitron KV-X2582U CRT TV 28"
Monitors
Acorn AKF30 RGB Monitor
Amstrad CTM644 Colour Monitor No.1
Amstrad CTM644 Colour Monitor No.2
Amstrad CTM644 Colour Monitor No.3
Atari SC1435 RGB Colour Monitor
Commodore 1701
Philips CM8833 Mark 1
Philips CM8833 Mark 2
Viewsonic 15" SVGA CRT Monitor.

That seems normal to me :)

• Like 1

Sony Trinitron KV27FS100. Had to use two partially working remotes to get into service mode and calibrate it, but the geometry is about 95% now. Hooked up the Sega Genesis Model 1 HDG I picked up and introduced my son to just how I used to game back in the day.

post-64192-0-89480200-1528038712_thumb.jpg

He got bored after five minutes and went back upstairs to the Switch.

• Like 2

This RCA Colortrak has been in my family since 1986 (or 1983 depending on whether you ask my mom or dad). It has been serviced twice, to my knowledge, and it has been the favorite sleep spot for my cats for years. Although when I move out, I fear that this set may be retired and sent to an undeserving home...

post-40713-0-85885100-1527792071_thumb.j

I miss the console tv my family had. It had the 2 analog knobs and a separate power/volume knob in the middle. I *THINK* it was a 25" tv but back then I never paid attention to that stuff.

I was about to acquire it just before I got divorced so, unfortunately, I lost the space to take it in so they gave it away (and had to give up my collection that year too). I keep my eyes open on Craigslist in case one pops up.

• Like 1

I miss the console tv my family had. It had the 2 analog knobs and a separate power/volume knob in the middle. I *THINK* it was a 25" tv but back then I never paid attention to that stuff.

I was about to acquire it just before I got divorced so, unfortunately, I lost the space to take it in so they gave it away (and had to give up my collection that year too). I keep my eyes open on Craigslist in case one pops up.

Come to think of it, I also had a b/w tv that was in our kitchen up till I was almost 8 or so that also had separate vhf and uhf dials and a volume knob with it. I distinctly remember watching an episode of Jeopardy! When I was around 4 or 5 eating Spaghetti-O's. Those were the days.

Just as I walked in town, near a trash deposit :

gallery_35492_963_1662548.png

Been working non-stop for about an hour. I think I can safely say it works! - Jeez, just as I say that, it stopped working.

Probably just something in the power supply...

Very cool, a really nice TV with the connectors and that UHF mechanical tuner. You can get adapters for the composite input. Please, a followup if you get that vintage TV working. A can of Liftoff 2 and plastic putty knife will get rid of all the paint splotches.

I already have have two UHF transmitters :)

I'll look at it in the next weeks, I have many other projects running at the moment. But it switched off suddenly, so I assume it's a power supply fault (no picture, no sound, no coil whine from the THT) so, hopefully, it's only the transformer that went bad (I checked the fuses and they are OK)

I don't have the heart to tell this user this was taken last Christmas.

But I do know what you mean. ;3

Oh, it doesn't have to be an actual Christmas that took place in the 80's. As long as it has an 80's feel, it's an 80's Christmas, even in the future. :)

• Like 1

NM this appears to happen on any TV and on my retro duo portable as well.

In the begging everything looks good until you hit start and get the 1 player 2 player select screen and the left side has a vertical brick line all the way down. Then you start the game and everything looks fine in the world map. Then when you start the level the left side is messed up again.

Again this is on multiple TV's, multiple systems, and multiple different Mario 3 games.

post-25078-0-85991600-1528593950_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-78534800-1528593938_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-73761900-1528593965_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-69349100-1528593982_thumb.jpg

NM this appears to happen on any TV and on my retro duo portable as well.

In the begging everything looks good until you hit start and get the 1 player 2 player select screen and the left side has a vertical brick line all the way down. Then you start the game and everything looks fine in the world map. Then when you start the level the left side is messed up again.

Again this is on multiple TV's, multiple systems, and multiple different Mario 3 games.

attachicon.gif100_4047.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4045.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4048.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4049.JPG

I don't see it. :?

Oh, ok that. At first glance, it looks like the horizontal hold needs to be adjusted. However, it's really strange that it's not in the first screen.

Exactly!

It's so messed up and odds are I never paid much attention before because I always played on smaller screen TV's. Now It really irritates me lol. I need to go check my other TV and see what it looks like on that one.

It's def. displaying full image on certain parts but giving the block line on other parts, sooooo annoying.

Just checked a 3rd TV and it does it on that, man why did this never bother me before. I have played Mario 3 a billion times. I do always remember a sort of flicker on the left side, owell lol.

• Like 1

It's a side-effect of the mirroring that SMB3 uses. Basically, the NES was designed to scroll games horizontally, or scroll them vertically, but not both at the same time. You can do it with updated mappers, but then you get "glitch" tiles on the edge of the screen. Some games used tricks to cover up the glitch tiles, but most games just hope you won't care, or that it'll be lost in the overscan.

Obviously, newer TVs have a lot less overscan than they used to.

• Like 1