IGNORED

Does anybody else rock a CRT?

I've owned this 35" KV-35S42 Sony Triniton CRT for about 6 years. Picked it up from Goodwill (when they still did TVs) to fit the massive entertainment center the previous homeowner left in the basement. My wife thinks I'm nuts for keeping it. It weighs 180 pounds. I'm not kidding. It weighs more than I do. It took two people to get it downstairs and I shudder to think what it would take to get it back up again. MSRP was $999 when it came out around 1999.

I have a bunch of systems hooked up to it, including an xbox360, mostly so we can watch netflix on it. I don't regret owning it. It has a beautiful picture. Colors are vibrant and playing vintage systems is a joy.

Doh. Sideways. Stupid phone.

post-22224-0-20099400-1532056694_thumb.jpg

post-22224-0-92210100-1532056722_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lendorien
  • Like 2

I almost stopped and picked up a 32" looking Sony flat screen tube TV that's on a curb. I read where some of them have hdmi and aren't ideal for retro gaming. I may check it if it's still there, though it'll be hard to hide a big box like that... :P

NO UPSCALE ISSUES

Any tube TV even if a 1080i tube look beautiful even with older consoles. You only lose retro light gun support with the HD Tube, not a big deal when newer consoles such as the Wii has the light bar for light gun style games. Look at the back for either an HDMI or DVI input; an indication of the HD TV. Hopefully that WEGA still there, snag that beast!

I prefer the HD Tube over an SD Tube, all consoles display crisp and bright. :)

That's nice you like it. But you should make it known that 240P on a HD CRT doesn't look like it does on a standard definition set. No scanlines. It'll have the appearance of 480P, if anyone remembers running emulators on the old Xbox, that's what real consoles will look like.

Edited by keepdreamin

I have 2 in my house. This is a 36 inch Sony Trinitron XBR, one of the top of the line, came with the attached stand as well. This thing has some killer sound! I added an $11 Target shoe rack to the bottom which fits great so it allows me to stack extra systems under it. Only problem with this flat type CRT is that it doesn;t register light gun shots. So I have a 36 inch Sanyo in the man cave that i have spare Saturn, PS1, and Dreamcasts hooked too for lightgun support

post-61255-0-07578700-1532100231_thumb.jpg

I have 2 in my house. This is a 36 inch Sony Trinitron XBR, one of the top of the line, came with the attached stand as well. This thing has some killer sound! I added an $11 Target shoe rack to the bottom which fits great so it allows me to stack extra systems under it. Only problem with this flat type CRT is that it doesn;t register light gun shots. So I have a 36 inch Sanyo in the man cave that i have spare Saturn, PS1, and Dreamcasts hooked too for lightgun support

The fact that it won't register light gun hits has nothing to do with the flat screen. that's an HDTV, it's digital. light guns do not work on digital CRT. Light guns work perfectly fine on flat screen analog CRT sets.

Edited by keepdreamin

NO UPSCALE ISSUES

Any tube TV even if a 1080i tube look beautiful even with older consoles. You only lose retro light gun support with the HD Tube, not a big deal when newer consoles such as the Wii has the light bar for light gun style games. Look at the back for either an HDMI or DVI input; an indication of the HD TV. Hopefully that WEGA still there, snag that beast!

I prefer the HD Tube over an SD Tube, all consoles display crisp and bright. :)

At one point I had the massive 40" Sony CRT and anything under 480P was way too pixelated. That was the lowest resolution those sets could display.

• Like 1

At one point I had the massive 40" Sony CRT and anything under 480P was way too pixelated. That was the lowest resolution those sets could display.

Yep you're absolutely correct. Unfortunately, it seems to be a tendency for some in the Retro Gaming hobby to focus more on the three letters of CRT when they should be focusing on the underlying technology instead. People need to realize that the CRT is just the part that gets the light to your eyes on its own it doesn't mean anything.

Making a blanket statement like all old consoles are going to look good on a display

as long as it has a tube would be like me saying all LCDs are the same.

I had one of the very last 34 inch widescreen Sony Wega HD CRT s. Playing the Sega Genesis on that, the Genesis looked more in appearance like it does on a 1080p flat panel than it did like on an old analog CRT set.

Bottom line, if you want your NES to look like it did when you remember in the late eighties steer clear of HD CRT and stick with analog sets.

Edited by keepdreamin

A old Black and White Movie, that has been digitally "Enhanced", scaled upto 1080p, a noise filter added to hide the scaling artifacts, and coloured in, does NOT then make it a better movie. The charm of the original has been lost, and now it looks like a science project made by some college grad.

Just because a modern HDTV, using HDMI, makes everything now look clearer and more defined, doesn't mean it now looks better. Frailties of CRTs, artifacting like fringing and color bleeding, added to the look of the game.

4e19baf399779d90581b6761889d63ffebf3af65

Some prefer the first image, I appreciate that. I, and I guess most here, prefer the second image. It would be nice if some of the more vocal pro-HDMI crowd respected our preference, rather than belittle it.

• Like 4

Some prefer the first image, I appreciate that. I, and I guess most here, prefer the second image. It would be nice if some of the more vocal pro-HDMI crowd respected our preference, rather than belittle it.

I agree on principle, but I think that in this particular case keepdreamin is referring to flaws in those more modern HD/widescreen CRT sets which make it unsuitable for 240p gaming, at least vs non HD 4:3 CRT sets. That is factually correct. Though, you may still prefer it to an LCD if you don't care about scanlines or want to fiddle with the OSSC - even so, it could be tricky.

I did consider getting one back in the day for the 480p games (and maybe films) which some 6th gen consoles could display. But I didn't have space to spare, having a big ol' Trinitron already..., you need a man cave for both. Maybe one day.

Regardless, I think it'd be nice if this thread could be kept argument free, just to celebrate the CRT tech and show off your sets' n all.

A old Black and White Movie, that has been digitally "Enhanced", scaled upto 1080p, a noise filter added to hide the scaling artifacts, and coloured in, does NOT then make it a better movie. The charm of the original has been lost, and now it looks like a science project made by some college grad.

Just because a modern HDTV, using HDMI, makes everything now look clearer and more defined, doesn't mean it now looks better. Frailties of CRTs, artifacting like fringing and color bleeding, added to the look of the game.

4e19baf399779d90581b6761889d63ffebf3af65

Huh, what in the heck was this responding to? I don't think anybody in this thread was bashing CRTs in favor of modern flat panels. If this was in response to my most recent post, then the point sailed clear over your head and is now on its way towards Proxima Centauri.

I was responding to a statement that said a system would look good on any display as long as there was a tube attached. My point was that there are vast differences amongst CRTs, not all are created equally.

An Old 240p system displayed on an HD CRT is going to look closer to how it does on a 1080p flat panel than it did on an analog CRT.

Youxia, I'm not trying to start arguments in this thread against CRT versus HDMI sets I'm trying to warn people who might be reading in here about looking to buy a CRT. a statement saying a systems going to look good on a display as long as it has a tube is incredibly not helpful at all. People need to look at the resolution and technology behind the CRT not just the three letters when they're shopping.

Edited by keepdreamin

I showed off my 87 Panasonic Color Pilot tv which is still my main tv but here is my other TVs Ive collected, they are all from the 1980s and work great. Ignore the horable Berzerk score, I was trying a The Boss joystick and had a bad game but I thought the pitiful score was amusing tho lol.

post-52825-0-94703700-1532182469_thumb.jpeg

post-52825-0-08217000-1532182505_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Huh, what in the heck was this responding to? I don't think anybody in this thread was bashing CRTs in favor of modern flat panels. If this was in response to my most recent post, then the point sailed clear over your head and is now on its way towards Proxima Centauri.

There are subtleties, in all your replies on this topic, that suggest you have something against CRT in general. Perhaps, my reply edged on the CRT-fanboy side, in me. But, I don't think you can say you are entirely innocent.

This will be my last reply to this, since I don't want to continue to further derail the thread.

There are subtleties, in all your replies on this topic, that suggest you have something against CRT in general. Perhaps, my reply edged on the CRT-fanboy side, in me. But, I don't think you can say you are entirely innocent.

This will be my last reply to this, since I don't want to continue to further derail the thread.

so conspiracy theories now? :lol: , if it makes you sleep better, I own a CRT for light gun games.

I'll make an analogy that isn't flat panel related so you aren't confused further.

Let's say a user name of "CarDriver", went on Edmunds or Kelly Blue Book and made a statement that all trips in a vehicle would be great as long as it was car. No mention of the trip's requirements for seating capacity, towing needs, or offroad capabilities etc. Just all trips would be great if the vehicle was a car. That's what I was responding to a few posts ago.

I'm not confused in the least. I knew what exactly you were "Hinting" in your original reply. I just sent back a less-than subtle reply, regardless of the original intent.

it seems to be a tendency for some in the Retro Gaming hobby to focus more on the three letters of CRT

The wording is subtle, but you didn't need to word it that way, but you did. But hey, thats the type of poster you are.

LMAO CRTGAMER someone doesn't like your love for CRT's.

Here is my opinion. I feel 480 tubes display better images than 1080 for older video game systems like nes/snes/genesis era but that is based on my limited experience. I have the KD-27FS170 and a KV-32FV300. I had that KV-40XBR800 that I could not get into my basement because it was a 305lb beast. I compared images to each and not sure if I still have the pictures but that HD 1080 tube showed ghosting (or a blurred outline around images whatever that is called) and the image quality was not as precise as my two 480 tubes.

So in my opinion while maybe all CRT's give a good image quality, there is definitely CRT TV's that give better image quality than others based on the platforms you are using.

• Like 1

I'm not confused in the least. I knew what exactly you were "Hinting" in your original reply. I just sent back a less-than subtle reply, regardless of the original intent.

The wording is subtle, but you didn't need to word it that way, but you did. But hey, thats the type of poster you are.

wow, you really reach for anything, don't you? :ponder:

Again, for like the tenth frickin time. My point is that people need to look at the TYPE of CRT when shopping, not that it's JUST a CRT. Which is what that line you think there's a hidden message in is referring to.

A old Black and White Movie, that has been digitally "Enhanced", scaled upto 1080p, a noise filter added to hide the scaling artifacts, and coloured in, does NOT then make it a better movie.

That's what I hate about BluRay...for every transfer that looks like you're watching the original movie projected for the very first time, there are probably ten that are digitized beyond recognition. Even modern-day movies are not exempt from tampering.

If you try to keep the transfer authentic, people will complain that it's too grainy and dirty. If you try to clean it up, people will complain that everything is lifeless and waxy. You just can't please everyone =/

Some prefer the first image, I appreciate that. I, and I guess most here, prefer the second image.

Is that what NES looks like in PAL?

• Like 1

If you try to keep the transfer authentic, people will complain that it's too grainy and dirty. If you try to clean it up, people will complain that everything is lifeless and waxy. You just can't please everyone =/

Yeah, don't get me started on the movie, "300". The grain was nuts, especially if you watched a DVD version where the resolution of DVD just couldn't handle the grain, and you get a pea soup effect. The Blu-Ray version was passable. On a really bad, and rare, VHS transfer where there is no detail at all, then grain can give the impression of detail, but then don't go and compress the hell of it using the ancient xvid - I used to see lots of those.

Yep you're absolutely correct. Unfortunately, it seems to be a tendency for some in the Retro Gaming hobby to focus more on the three letters of CRT when they should be focusing on the underlying technology instead. People need to realize that the CRT is just the part that gets the light to your eyes on its own it doesn't mean anything.

Making a blanket statement like all old consoles are going to look good on a display

as long as it has a tube would be like me saying all LCDs are the same.

I had one of the very last 34 inch widescreen Sony Wega HD CRT s. Playing the Sega Genesis on that, the Genesis looked more in appearance like it does on a 1080p flat panel than it did like on an old analog CRT set.

Bottom line, if you want your NES to look like it did when you remember in the late eighties steer clear of HD CRT and stick with analog sets.

I still use my old Sony 34" widescreen. I have the Super Fine Pitch one. Back in the day nothing could touch that for picure quality. It still looks good now but its been far surpassed by modern tech.

I showed off my 87 Panasonic Color Pilot tv which is still my main tv but here is my other TVs Ive collected, they are all from the 1980s and work great. Ignore the horable Berzerk score, I was trying a The Boss joystick and had a bad game but I thought the pitiful score was amusing tho lol.

Looking good. It always puzzles me when some folk turn up their noses and say how "ugly" CRTs are, design wise. Admittedly the latest sets from the 2000s, especially the plasticky, silvery ones are rather bland, but the older ones can be quite beautiful, in an electro-punk kind of way.

Yeah, I loved the old cabinets, even the table top tv's had woodgrain cabinets, granted printed (or however their done) but still. Many pre 90's sets look amazing.

When I got my first new tv in the mid 90's the first thing I said was "where's the nintendo supposed to go?" I think I actually asked the sales person if they had regular tvs. They looked at me like I had an extra arm growing out my neck LOL . Seriously, my console always resided in top of the tv until that time.

Interestingly, those old tv's had better parts too. I see crts all the time, but the older ones seem more likely to still work, while newer ones inevitably have failing or blown caps. The newer ones may have a better image, but that does a lot of good of the thing doesn't work or is failing.

I wont get into what looks better on what, but I have a 2600 with a test cart that I use as a signal generator to repair vintage TV's as a hobby. Right now I m working on a black and white 1950 Philco. I literally pulled this particular one out of the ground half buried, and the crt still test good on my bk analyzer, so I started the rebuild of the chassis.

• Like 3