IGNORED

A Simply Plea: Stop with the Shrinkwrap!

Can we all please agree that mom and pop shops need to stop shrinkwrapping systems with the controllers on top (and cords shoved inside the shrinkwrap)? I'm so tired of seeing this done. You can't tell the condition of the system, and many places won't allow you to open it up to verify condition as they don't want to have to redo the shrinkwrap.

I get it. Everything looks shiny and nice under the crap and probably makes for easier sales (?), but realistically, it seems I'm always disappointed with the condition under these plastic veils. I can't stand them, and this practice needs to stop.

• Like 3

If you refer to the US given even local/small shops honor a return policy or refund if not working the practice did not bother me.

I use past tense as I have not seen "bundles" like that in years (last was a Saturn I bought a decade ago or so at a Pawn Exchange or something like it) so there may be not much to stop. Last trip at Goodwill actually shows they separate the main console body from the power supply from the controller etc... that I kind of hate as I end up paying more than I thought and I have to chase all the pieces myself ... I don't mind the practice if that's how they got the pieces but if you get a bundle on the HW side leave it be (at least make sure I get all the cables, the power brick and one joypad)

They do that so the separate components don't become shrink and walk away. Trade off the closeup inspection vs getting a complete system.

I'd understand that if the components weren't behind the counter already. It's not like they're just sitting on a shelf. They're either behind a counter or in a locked jewelry case, which makes it doubly hard to see the components as you have the reflective shrinkwrap AND the reflective jewel case to try and look through.

I have never seen systems bundled in shrinkwrap around here. Sometimes the console, cables, etc. will be wrapped together in heavy packing tape, rarely the bare console is on the shelf and the other bits are kept in back, more often the various pieces will each be sold separately (if they are available at all).

in my store I just set out the bare consoles

then behind my counter I have a bin with bags , the bags have the wires and 1 controller , and I have them labeled for each system

then when someone wants to buy a console we bust out a bag and hook up the system to our test tv so the buyer can see everything work and test it all out

• Like 2

Good luck changing that... at least the trend to shrinkwrap replaces the desire to roll clear packing tape around and around the device and cords. And I've rarely had any problem inspecting the condition of anything second-hand I wanted to buy. When I couldn't, the price I'd pay went down to compensate.

Come to think of it, I've gotten some great deals for a dollar that way.

A reputable shop will let you bust the shrink wrap to sample the merchandice. I've poked holes in shrinkwrap for instance to check cartidge ports and other features. If it's not up to snuff, they can just reshrinkwrap it later.

It's annoying though with controllers. You can guage a lot about the condition of the controller without even plugging it in. Press the buttons on the gamepad to check the wear leveling of the membranes. With nes pads it's easy to replace membranes but other less popular systms that don't have aftermarket replacements, there's little you can do. Not all cx-40s are created equal. Some move easily, some are stiff and crunchy, especially later ones without the orange paint. How can I know if a stick or pad feels right when it's got shrinky dinks on it? Especially third party pads. I can deoxit contacts and clean internals but if the dpad / stick is too hard or too loose, it's just junk. No amount of cleaning will improve the feel, unless it's clogged with cheetoe gunk and dead skin. And usually they have a box full of controllers. If I break the wrapper on more than one until I find a good one, or all of them until I can pick the "best" feeling controler of the lot, they will get annoyed pretty quickly.

• Like 1

I get it. Everything looks shiny and nice under the crap and probably makes for easier sales (?)

I have a bunch of nes game protectors I got when I bought a guys collection about 2 years ago. At times I take pictures of the games inside the clear protectors and state free protector in the listing. It makes my games look new :) and def. helps with sales. Then again I also add pics outside the sleeves as well because I don't want someone telling me what I sent them isn't as good as the pic shows. The highlighted pic will be the one in the sleeve though. The sleeves do hide small flaws, so people should always look at all the pics.

We shrink wrap all of our consoles, if you do not then most customers here in South Texas, think you are selling junk. Shrinkwrap makes most customers feel good about your system.

In our 11 years we have been shrinking and everyone here in South Texas loves it, but then again we actually open up and repair every system from the chip level to the top... so our reputation is pretty darn good and that shrinkwrap just brings that last bit of professionalism..

We get in systems that customers that ask for our help, from other places that are filthy and just plain electronically broken.. and that system was just purchased that day or arrived in the mail that day.. We spend at least 1 hour just cleaning 1 system... I swear it looks like some people must just spit on a system and wipe it with dirty toliet paper and call it clean and ready to sell.. but back on topic.... (sorry about the rant)

We have a policy that if you are out of town or if you request we will open the shrinkwrap and let you inspect it and we will boot up the system for you.

Out of towners always get to see their system working, in town get a choice to have us open it... and yes we will reshrink it if desired.

If you are going to places that do not open your carts and clean them in front of you... and will not show you your games working at minimum.. you should ask them to step up their game or shop from a better retailer.

I can say that having 2 classic video game stores for 11 years wears on you soooo much.. I am looking forward to closing this year ... 11 years I have learned everything I care to learn about running a small business.

Edited by imstarryeyed
  • Like 1

We shrink wrap all of our consoles, if you do not then most customers here in South Texas, think you are selling junk. Shrinkwrap makes most customers feel good about your system.

In our 11 years we have been shrinking and everyone here in South Texas loves it, but then again we actually open up and repair every system from the chip level to the top... so our reputation is pretty darn good and that shrinkwrap just brings that last bit of professionalism..

We get in systems that customers that ask for our help, from other places that are filthy and just plain electronically broken.. and that system was just purchased that day or arrived in the mail that day.. We spend at least 1 hour just cleaning 1 system... I swear it looks like some people must just spit on a system and wipe it with dirty toliet paper and call it clean and ready to sell.. but back on topic.... (sorry about the rant)

We have a policy that if you are out of town or if you request we will open the shrinkwrap and let you inspect it and we will boot up the system for you.

Out of towners always get to see their system working, in town get a choice to have us open it... and yes we will reshrink it if desired.

If you are going to places that do not open your carts and clean them in front of you... and will not show you your games working at minimum.. you should ask them to step up their game or shop from a better retailer.

I can say that having 2 classic video game stores for 11 years wears on you soooo much.. I am looking forward to closing this year ... 11 years I have learned everything I care to learn about running a small business.

All this is very nice, but shrinkwrap has nothing to do with repairing or cleaning systems or carts. I'm glad you have a good reputation and all, but it has nothing to do with shrinkwrapping your consoles. All shrinkwrap does is hide cosmetic flaws, and frankly, ensures new ones as the controllers are usually then smooshed ontop of the system. And it doesn't help your reputation at all. What's helped your rep is your hard work.

I appreciate you show the system working and offer reshrinking and all, but then honestly what's the point? You're opening shrinkwrap to prove it's in working and good physical shape, both of which the shrink prevents customers from confirming. Why not just put the system in a case and be done with it? Customers could see the condition, and if they wanted to confirm it to be working, you'd simply plug it in without fuss.

Lastly, I'm sorry you're backing out of the industry. It's always been my dream to own my own store (games or otherwise), but I can definitely see how running a used video game store can be difficult in this current environment where most classics seem to be going for more than gold itself.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 2

I know from first hand experience kids suck when it comes to selling stuff. I had a yard sale two years ago where I had tons of games for sale. I kept getting kids wanting to touch everything. I had one kid pick up a snes game and drop the damn thing on the blacktop driveway, he broke a post inside. The parents didn't even bother to buy it, they just walked away like tough shit. I skipped the sale last year.

With that said I personally would not run a game store where anything was touchable by the public. Most everything would be behind cases to look at. As such I think shrink-wrapping a system is redundant, especially if you are going to show it works. In this industry especially selling retro consoles that people have a hard time getting to work, showing it works should be automatically done for each sale.

Plus shrink-wrapping cords and controllers on top of a system just adds scratches. I personally would be less likely to purchase said system if it was wrapped like that. Just as I will not even consider buying anything cardboard if it has a price sticker on it!

Even when I sell locally I put the console in a separate bag from the controllers/cords just to make sure I am not scratching the system. I'm sure in most cases the people buying systems are less collectors and more players so they most likely don't care too much if the system get scratched, but you should always market yourself to appease both collectors and players.

I had to give my local game store a jab last week as he has a nes deluxe set for $350 yet he has all these huge signs that are taped on it. I told him I wouldn't personally buy it, his response was the tape is cheap and just falls off anyhow. Sorry but putting tape on a cardboard box you want $350 for that targets collectors will not end well.

• Like 3

Iceman, I'm the same way. When I sell locally I put the system in a bag, controller in a separate bag, and cords together in a third. Plastic scratches easily, and while the new owner might not care, while it's in my ownership I treat the hardware in a way that it'll never become more damaged.

To me it's as bad as shipping me something in the original system's box (without putting it into a shipping box). It shows utter disrespect for the customer and the product itself.

There's a mom n' pop hole-in-the-wall shop here that does the shrink-wrap for some systems, but only the ones out on public shelves were you can pick them up yourself. The higher-end systems in the cases are never wrapped up.

Really, I shouldn't say shrink-wrap, I'm pretty sure it's saran wrap. In any case, they're quite good about having everything opened up and tested before you pay, so you can check the cosmetics then. I've looked at multiple things I've put back becuase they didn't meet my expectations for condition, they've never seemed upset by it- then again, I feel like they let me get away with more becuase I've made it clear in the times I've been in that I really do know what I'm doing, so if I put it back it's for a good reason and not to be picky & waste their time (and not buy anything.)

Yeah, I remember when "new" or "sealed" started on ebay, and you look and it's a shrinkwrapped cart. Who the he'll do you think your kidding? I'm sure they existed, but I can't think of any production run games that were just bare carts.

Never shrinkwrap stuff. Remember the 64 era, and GameStop did this? My god, think of the sticks. :x