IGNORED

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons - Gold Box Series Games : Forums?

82-T/A

Message me anytime about them. I am a fanatic and have played most more times that I can list. The Savage Frontier and Treasures being my favorite two in the series. I can't tell you how awesome it is to finish off General Vaalgamon and equipment my entire party with +5 weapons with the cloning trick or to have two wizards in Treasures and to finish off whole parties of monsters with duel wielding fireball casters!

Thanks! Will do. I love these games. I have them all on original floppy... but I also bought the CD collectors edition from Wizard Works. I've never gone through all of them, but I'd have to say... Pool of Radiance is still my favorite, but the two Savage Frontier ones are a close second. I also really like Secret of the Silver Blades... just something about it. They're all pretty awesome... Curse of the Azure Bonds was my least favorite though...

Thanks! Will do. I love these games. I have them all on original floppy... but I also bought the CD collectors edition from Wizard Works. I've never gone through all of them, but I'd have to say... Pool of Radiance is still my favorite, but the two Savage Frontier ones are a close second. I also really like Secret of the Silver Blades... just something about it. They're all pretty awesome... Curse of the Azure Bonds was my least favorite though...

Pool of Radiance is great and I would play it more often however it doesn't have the fix command that auto-casts healing spells if I remember?

Pool of Radiance is great and I would play it more often however it doesn't have the fix command that auto-casts healing spells if I remember?

Gold Box Companion acts as a wrapper for the DOS versions and can be used to add the fix command and do some other nifty stuff.

• Like 1

Like DeepThaw said... you can use that wrapper to "fix" Pool of Radiance and add the FIX command, but correct... Poolrad does not have the FIX feature.

Also, it doesn't use any sound support outside of Tandy 3-Voice on the PC, and it's not in VGA.

But... as far as I'm concerned, it has the best story-line.

It's also far less "linear" like many of the other games which are strictly linear.

I'd say, actually... the two Savage Frontier games are pretty close to how you can kind of just do whatever you want. That's what I like about Poolrad. There's also dozens of missions that you can go on, or ignore them completely. Lots and lots of hidden caves throughout the world... all kinds of cool stuff.

Honestly, it's the reason why Pool of Radiance is my favorite.

I'd LOVE to see someone re-do it, EXACTLY as it is... but in VGA. So... using the newer engine from Gateway / Dark Queen of Krynn / Pools of Darkness.

I picked up the Gold Box series from GOG.com a few years ago and played through Pool of Radiance and then Curse. I started Secrets, but my laptop was stolen shortly after I started. :(. Anyways, I played a few of them, including PoR and Secret of the Silver Blades on the c64, but never got very far in either. Too many copied games pulled my attention away from long RPGs, even though I loved them. I distinctly remember playing Pool of Radiance in the basement while listening to Black Sabbath... and blowing my party up with a fireball. :)

Anyways, modern fast loading & saving makes it so much more convenient, and I was actually able to finish them this time around. I really enjoyed both, although Curse was a bit buggy with my imported PoR characters and I had to restart a bunch of times because some item I used kept screwing up my stats. They hold up well, imho, with Pool of Radiance being much more cohesive - stronger story, more of a linear progression, more variety and sense of adventure. I started Gateway last year as well, but haven't gotten very far... just not enough hours in the day, but it is fun.

I still have the Secrets of the Silver Blades manual and clue book from the c64 version... I need to get back to that some day, too.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1