IGNORED

ABBUC hardwarecontest 2018

Sleepy

ABBUC Mag 1/2018 is released, so here you can find the documentation for the this year´s hardware contest for download.

Please remind the closing date (July 09th 2018); the first president will bring the hardware to Fujiama 2018, were the classification will be done.

Here you can download the english documentation.

Actual news you can find here. I´ll try to translate them and post the content here, too.

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...

I entered the contest with my product called AntiX.

AntiX is a small and very simple PCB that will allow you to switch between a PAL and a NTSC ANTIC.

This has several advantages, more about this later :)

Something I've been hoping for for a long time... makes me want to join ABBUC just so I can vote for it :-D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit early yes. Soon enough I'll officially anounce it here in a separate thread...

In the meantime, I'm now drawing a small adapter board that will fit to a ribbon cable in the hope that this will allow installing AntiX in 400/800 machines. I have seen some similar solutions for Sophia. Can some with more 400/800 knowledge than I help me a bit ?

what would you prefer, a slightly larger PCB with room for mounting holes to f.i. put self-adhesive stands in OR have the smallest PCB possible that will be stuck with f.i. double-sided tape ?

• Like 2

Too early to get on the purchase list? =)

Yes, a little bit. Please remind that the official sales launch is the ending of the official part of ABBUCs annual meeting (normally last saturday of october).

But I think there´s no problem that you´ve shown your interested. :)

Sleepy

• Like 1

Yes, a little bit. Please remind that the official sales launch is the ending of the official part of ABBUCs annual meeting (normally last saturday of october).

But I think there´s no problem that you´ve shown your interested. :)

Sleepy

Yep, and for the people who prefer building their own AntiX (and maybe 400/800 adapter) PCB, the designs will of course be published by ABBUC for ABBUC members. I will be offering ready made complete PCBs for those who choose to not build in themselves or have less technical skills but of course according to the competition rules only after the competition. Edited by Level42
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Here´re the results:

AntiX

ANTIC PAL/NTSC Switch Board (André Huijts)
The attending members agreed with the jury´s proposal: category 4 "Final"
Development is supported with 100€.
Arduino Hardware for the ATARI (Frederik Holst)
The attending members voted a different category: Kategorie 1 "In development"
POKEY Replacement (Mark Watson)
The attending members agreed with the jury´s proposal: category 1 "Final"
Development is supported with 500€.
Power Meter Cart
ATARI load display (Ingo Boller):
The attending members agreed with the jury´s proposal: category 1 "In development"
Searching articles describing the entries, I did´t find any information about the Power Meter Cart...
So here´s a pic and a short description:
post-18285-0-01247600-1540305632.jpg
It´s an arduino-based display (3x3 rgb-led) which visualizes cpu´s utilization using different bright and color. It uses the r/w-signal to draw conclusions regarding how hard cpu´s working and shows activity by dark red up to bright white blinking. Aim is to use a smaller arduino wich fits in a clear ATARImax-cart. It could also be installed in the ATARI. Only three connections have to be done: GND, 5V and R/W. Fitted in an ATARImax-cartridge, it´s plug-and-play. Functionality of the cartridge itself remains unchanged.
Sleepy
Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 7

OK.

I dont want to sound unthankful, but I thought long and hard about this, and I think I should share my honest opinion about the results, because else it will keep tumbling inside of me, and one day it would emerge anyway, and probably in a lot less nice way.

IMHO I think that, with all respect to the creator of the power meter cart, it is weird that AntiX was categorised at the same level as this project.

First of all, it doesnt even look like a finished project. Its not a cartridge that fits the entire thing. There is an entire Arduino set-up dangling next to the cartridge, not very practical. Even the text already suggests that MAYBE a smaller Arduino can be used....so....is this a finished project, or one still in development ?

Second.....the use of the product. IMHO AntiX is a much more useful product than the Power Meter cartridge for the general A8 user. Even in the ABBUC magazine it is indicated that there are simply some LEDs lighting up, but no real use can be determined.....

This may be just my opinion, but the Power Meter cartridge seems to serve a vey niche market of the A8 community. Even though I created it myself, I think that in all objectivity, no-one can deny that AntiX is a much more general useful product for the average A8 user on both sides of the Atlantic. It opens up using PAL software for the US guys, and gives us Euro guys the possibility to have a steady 60Hz screen, in the correct aspect ratio, and games running on their intended speed.

For this reason, I honestly expected a higher judgement of the jury for AnriX, and Im going to be honest, Im disappointed about that.

I also dont understand that while the software contest has,an online voting option, this is not the case for the hardware contest. Only the people attending the JHV meeting are able to vote on the product. I dont understand that. Sure, the software can be downloaded and judged by every ABBUC member, but for the hardware the descriptions as published in the magazine and published on the forums, and also demonstration videos should give enough info to allow people to vote online.

In general, it seems that the people at the JHV in majority simply follow whatever the ABBUC judges suggest when voting for the hardware.

Anyway, I am grateful and happy with the price I won, but I cant understand that it didnt achieve a bit higher ranking by the hardware jury.

The fact that, electronically, it is a rather simple device shouldnt matter. It is the usefulness and functionality that counts.

Some people at the JHV thought that AntiX simply switched the 5V supply to the ANTIC chips!!!

Well it is not THAT simple, but I have the feeling some people actually judged AntiX on that basis. The files should be out in the open now so everybody can see how AntiX works, and I never hid the fact that the idea and concept is simple enough, but it took plenty of research to find exactly the right chip and also to solve some issues to make it work reliable.

Anyway, I wanted to vent this out in the open because I noticed I felt frustrated about this on the way back home and it grew more on me the last few days.

No personal feelings....just my honest opinion.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 7

Hi,

putting the differnt texts together for the summary on the homepage yesterday evening, I had simillar thoughts...

Finding a category, I (I can speak for myself only as a part of the jury) considered the "final" contributions for it´s own and "devolpment" entries for its own. Now, comparing "final" and "development" entries, I can understand your thoughts. Whereby "category one in development" means not automaticly that it would be, as "final product", category one, too. But viewing the price money suggest that "category 4 / final" worth the same / is equal as "category 1 / development"... that´s actually an unfortunate aspect...

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 6

Well,

several years ago every Abbuc member could vote for the Hardware contest (just like it is the case with the Software contest). But there was hardware (no matter if "final" or "in development") where a simple non-techie Atarian could not judge if it is any good, as good or better as another hardware item, etc., so the Abbuc members decided it would be better to have a jury that has enough knowledge about hardware in general. Think the guys that were originally in the jury (TG one of the guys that built the SIO2USB and other hardware; JVR the hardware doctor that repairs A8 hardware and builds lots of new hardware; EP the Abbuc Floppydoc that repairs Atari floppy drives and even tape drives; do not remember the other ones atm) did have enough knowledge to be qualified for this job...

Alas, after several years and some heated discussions at the JHV it turns out, that the jury seems not to be fully neutral, they sometimes seem not to judge about the hardware, but about the Atarian that made the hardware (and if they like him or not). Thats also the reason why one of the hardware jury members left the jury. Of course we have the same problem in the software contest, but to me it seems more obvious in the hardware contest...

If they say "the hardware xyz seems to have no real use" (and thats what they said in the magazine!) then its really questionable why it was rated so high and got the same prize money as another really useful hardware. But no-one seems to have complained at the annual meeting. On the other hand, a different hardware item was rated very low, they wrote in the magazine that some details (e.g. schematics/plans) were missing, while they got these details (and the author could show that at the Abbuc JHV). Again, no-one (except the author) complained at the annual meeting, the Abbuc members were quiet and indifferent as always (or had left the room since they do not like these boring and endless discussions). But to me it seems obvious, that the jury is not neutral ! And in my opinion, we do need a neutral hardware jury or no jury at all (and therefore e.g. return to the earlier state, where every Abbuc member could vote for the hardware)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Anyway, I am grateful and happy with the price I won...

But viewing the price money suggest that "category 4 / final" worth the same / is equal as "category 1 / development"...

Just to insert some proper English here... I think the phrases you're looking for are "prize I won" and "prize money" respectively.

I've seen this used on several occasions or more in conjunction with the ABBUC contests over the years.

• Like 4

Sorry, but I cannot resist.... Please keep in mind that a lot of users here are not native English speakers. I would like to see you write in Dutch or German.... I am happy that you still understand what people mean when they write "price".

Can we go back to the topic now? ;)

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

Sorry, but I cannot resist.... Please keep in mind that a lot of users here are not native English speakers. I would like to see you writing in Dutch or German.... I am happy that you still understand what people mean when they write "price".

Can we go back to the topic now? ;)

I understand they're not native English speakers, which is precisely the reason I'm trying to help.

Do you think the comment was meant to be critical or a rebuke? It certainly wasn't.

The bold text above was hardly called for. It would have been better to question my intent and wait

for a response, without adding something like that.

• Like 5

Well, I was reacting to "I've seen this used on several occasions or more in conjunction with the ABBUC contests over the years." I think that was hardly called for.

Can we please go back to the discussion about the hardware contest now?

Edited by Fred_M

Well, I was reacting to "I've seen this used on several occasions or more in conjunction with the ABBUC contests over the years." I think that was hardly called for.

I said that because it would be less valid for me to speak up if I'd only seen the mistake once. Having seen it more than

a few times, I think it's a good idea to speak up and let some people benefit from the information.

What in that statement do you see as uncalled for? It was purely informative.

• Like 4

I appreciate the spelling help. After thirty years of English, it never occurred to me that they are actually different (price of a product, first prize won). I guess I unconsciously assumed one was American spelling and the other was British :)

As for the hardware contest with a jury deciding on points and awards and the JHV approving or disapproving, I was one of the few last year that voted against this approach. To me it seemed my vote was frowned upon a little, even though I was not against the people in the jury, but against the process of assigning awards. I would like to see the old voting process come back.

Regarding people not knowing enough about hardware to judge the difficulty of the entries, I'd like to point out that the same can be said about software. E.g. just look at the Millionaire thread where people are disappointed such a "simple" game has won even though the Atari can do "so much more". IMHO that's not the point. It won, because it was appreciated best my most people.

Edit: spelling fix ;)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 3

several years ago every Abbuc member could vote for the Hardware contest (just like it is the case with the Software contest). But there was hardware (no matter if "final" or "in development") where a simple non-techie Atarian could not judge if it is any good, as good or better as another hardware item, etc., so the Abbuc members decided it would be better to have a jury that has enough knowledge about hardware in general. Think the guys that were originally in the jury (TG one of the guys that built the SIO2USB and other hardware; JVR the hardware doctor that repairs A8 hardware and builds lots of new hardware; EP the Abbuc Floppydoc that repairs Atari floppy drives and even tape drives; do not remember the other ones atm) did have enough knowledge to be qualified for this job...

Alas, after several years and some heated discussions at the JHV it turns out, that the jury seems not to be fully neutral, they sometimes seem not to judge about the hardware, but about the Atarian that made the hardware (and if they like him or not). Thats also the reason why one of the hardware jury members left the jury. Of course we have the same problem in the software contest, but to me it seems more obvious in the hardware contest...

Because you state my name (JVR = Jurgen van Radecke, that´s me) in the first part of your text (what´s absolute fine for me!) I want to make sure that everybody knows that I´m also the one who left the jury after one year.

The reasons are mainly already spoken out: Personally dislikes against participants of the contest from some members of the jury and missing neutrality. Some other harsh things happened in email correspondence, which I wouldn´t release to the public.

• Like 1