IGNORED

What other games are similar to Uncharted?

Rick Dangerous

I just finished the Uncharted trilogy and was blown away. These were some of the most fun, well constructed, best looking and sounding and playing games I have ever had the please to play.

Anything else that is like these games that I should look into on PS3?

I have the Far Cry Series (1-4), and Bioshock. Anything else in this chapter/adventure based format worth picking up?

Tomb Raider Legend is the best one on PS3 in my opinion, although if you're getting it on PS3 you might as well pick up the Tomb Raider Trilogy, which also has Anniversary and Underworld. Anyway, Legend is one of my favorite games of the PS2/Xbox/GameCube generation (it was upscaled for the Xbox 360, and later the PS3).

However, if you're looking for a game like Uncharted, then the Tomb Raider reboot ("Tomb Raider 2013") is probably a better bet. The gunplay/bow-play is just like Uncharted. It's not the best Tomb Raider on PS3, but it's still an excellent game.

EDIT: Just to clarify, Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld are all chapter-based. Tomb Raider 2013 is an open-world game, structured similarly to Metroid where new areas are unlocked when you find new equipment and abilities.

Edited by PFG 9000
  • Like 1

Also, if you're looking for games like Uncharted, definitely check out The Last of Us. It's made by the same people as Uncharted and has the same gameplay, with the addition of crafting items and a heavier focus on stealth and horror. It's chapter-bases like Uncharted, and the cutscenes/dialog are integrated into the gameplay just like Uncharted. The story is fantastic, and it's largely considered one of the best games on PS3.

• Like 1

What's the best Tomb Raider on PS3?

Can't go wrong with the Tomb Raider Trilogy on PS3. It includes HD remasters of Legend and Anniversary along with the PS3 version of Underworld. All three are fantastic games. I prefer Anniversary out of those three, but I would recommend playing all 3 of them in release order (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld). Obviously Anniversary takes place before the events in Legend, but since it was released later with a slightly better control setup, I think it's easy to play the games in their release order.

The only complaints I had with those games was that sometimes the character might not jump in the direction you intended base on where the camera was when you jump. It takes some getting used to, but it's not game breaking.

I've been a Tomb Raider fan since the original, and the first two games are still my favorites. Obviously, I also enjoy all of the games during the first reboot series. Unfortunately, I've not been able to get into any of the Tomb Raider games since the most recent reboot, so I can't comment on those.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the old Tomb Raider games all the way back. However, the Tomb Raider reboot game from 2013 (simply called 'Tomb Raider') in my opinion is much more like the Uncharted games. There is also a sequel called Rise of the Tomb Raider that came out in 2015 (for XOne and PS4).

I think that Uncharted does an amazing job of creating fascinating characters in a great story and mixing it with compelling action. That mix together is what is so special and kinda rare. The Last of Us does come close, but the story feels different. Where Uncharted feels like watching an Indiana Jones movie (sorta), the Last of Us feels more like watching some really good episodes of The Walking Dead. I also didn't find the action as satisfying in TLoU. However, if you own a PS3 (or PS4) it is basically a requirement that you play TLoU. It is a fabulous game.

The games made by Ninja Theory like Heavenly Sword and Enslaved: Odyssey to the West also remind me of Uncharted. I enjoyed both of those and they have made more games in a similar style including the recent Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (which I have never played).

Another company with games that kinda give me the same feel is Remedy Entertainment. They made the original Max Payne (and MP2). In the last gen they made a game called Alan Wake and then moved on to make Quantum Break for XOne.

Thanks! Alan Wake is one of my main reasons for finding an old Xbox 360 on CL as soon as I can.

I really like the murder mystery and adventure genres. Will probably eventually get a PS4 to play the two newer uncharted games and Until Dawn, which I have heard is somewhat similar to Alan Wake.

• Like 1

I own Uncharted 4, but I haven't played it yet. I've played Until Dawn. There is a lot less player controlled action in that game. Granted, you move the characters around the 3d environments, but it's more in the style of an old school point and click adventure or FMV game. It was still pretty good, but it is much more focused on "Story" than "3rd Person Action."

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks! Alan Wake is one of my main reasons for finding an old Xbox 360 on CL as soon as I can.

I really like the murder mystery and adventure genres. Will probably eventually get a PS4 to play the two newer uncharted games and Until Dawn, which I have heard is somewhat similar to Alan Wake.

The premise of Until Dawn is it's like a teen horror/slasher movie, but instead of yelling at the screen at the stupid decisions the kids make that lead to their deaths, you get to decide their action and see if you can keep them all alive.

It's a lot of fun, and has some fairly big-name talent, notably Rami Malek from just before he got big with Mr. Robot and Bohemian Rhapsody

• 4 weeks later...

Welp, because of search index weirdness, this thread is back near the top of my activity streams.

Back in April 2018, I posted in this thread that I hadn't played Uncharted 4.  Well, I played it!  I wasn't really impressed with it however.  The pattern of gameplay where you would explore and free run then try to stealth murder 25 dudes was a little too obvious.  I just felt like I could sorta "see the strings."  The addition of the vehicle sections also didn't impress me.  I didn't really look forward to driving the jeep or the boat at all.  The side plot of the story also didn't really grip me.  He's lying to his wife about exactly what his wife suspects him to lie about.  As someone who has been married for almost 20 years, it just didn't seem realistic.  It was also probably totally unnecessary to move the game along.

However, I also played Rise of the Tomb Raider since I last posted in this thread and that game really impressed me.  Uncharted probably has it beat in overall production values, but the Tomb Raider series has just become more fun than Uncharted.  They do a great job of making you feel like you've somehow discovered something hidden that was actually right in plain sight.  Little caves and er . . . tombs are scattered throughout the game and you can find them all or skip them in the open world format.  I also appreciated the way that the weapons and enemies changed as you advanced through the levels.  I'm really looking forward to playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider later this year.

I've also now played Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.  This game was a nice experience that dealt with an unusual subject matter for a video game (mental illness).  It is a short(er) game, but comes at the right price.  It uses the same basic control as some of the others mentioned in this thread except it focuses on mele combat.  Overall Senua was a fun experience with some visual puzzles thrown in that you won't find in Uncharted or Tomb Raider.