IGNORED

Printing from a TIPI-TI to a modern printer via WiFi...

Omega-TI

Here is a germ of an idea....

I'm not exactly sure it could be done, but if it's possible, it should work on ANY modern printer. The RPi would have to do the heavy lifting, so I don't even know if what I envision is even possible.

A Brief outline

1) A "TIPIAPP" would be running 100% of the time to intercept anything sent to "PIO" or maybe

just toggled on and off in the TIPI CONFIGURATION for use as needed. This would require an update

to that program.

2) Upon receiving receipt of data, the "TIPIAPP" it would convert the page into PDF format using the

LINE FEED command as the cutoff for a single page(s).

3) Once a page is completed page. the file would be erased and the print cycle would repeat until no more data is forthcoming.

I have no clue if is technically possible or feasible. But anyone using a TI-Writer variant, TI-Artist or anything else

could get some printing action. done.

I found it Epson converter for Linux that changes it to PostScript now I've got to figure out how to get that to print.. initial testing shows that every single program that is written does a printing a different way editor assembler actually opens a file as an input device first which of course doesn't work on a disk file

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I found it Epson converter for Linux that changes it to PostScript now I've got to figure out how to get that to print.. initial testing shows that every single program that is written does a printing a different way editor assembler actually opens a file as an input device first which of course doesn't work on a disk file

Printing would be awesome. I appreciate your effort! That would pretty much complete the TiPi replacing a PEB other than expanding memory above 32K (and I don't have a need for that anyway at this time). Desktop publishing was one of my main uses of the TI back in the day with Page Pro 99 and The Printer's Apprentice.

Have an app running in the background looking for a file that is not open in a directory where the printer files are going. If the file is closed, it then copies/moves/etc the file to the printer device launching the Epson converter.

Perhaps have a "semaphore" file with a a ".bsy" extension. If the ".bsy" is present, the ".txt" file is not ready to be printed yet for the app.

Beery

Ok I have this working with text documents. printing the dm2k readme without issues now.. just had a paper type issue as epson2ps assumes a4 paper.. psresize fixes that.. now testing graphics to see if they work so far the challenge seems to be getting programs to output on the TI to a disk file.. which they seem reluctant to do.

• Like 3

Ok I have this working with text documents. printing the dm2k readme without issues now.. just had a paper type issue as epson2ps assumes a4 paper.. psresize fixes that.. now testing graphics to see if they work so far the challenge seems to be getting programs to output on the TI to a disk file.. which they seem reluctant to do.

We can incorporate this into an update of the TIPI software. And probably support a PIO device with a small ROM update.

-M@

Have an app running in the background looking for a file that is not open in a directory where the printer files are going. If the file is closed, it then copies/moves/etc the file to the printer device launching the Epson converter.

Perhaps have a "semaphore" file with a a ".bsy" extension. If the ".bsy" is present, the ".txt" file is not ready to be printed yet for the app.

Beery

We can do a lot better... since we have the source to TIPI, we can actually incorporate it as a first class feature.

-M@

• Like 2

My Canon Pixma is wireless... would be cool to be able to print to that, assuming all Epson compatible graphics would be supported. :D

Yes i am doing that now printing to my networked printer haven't been able to prove graphics yet as i can't get any ti prog but basic to output to a file sigh

Configurable?

Configuring real printers on linux can be a black art. Sometimes it is 100x easier than Windows, and then other times, it is almost impossible. My Canon laser printer required crawling through UK canon support, cause US support didn't have the download needed.

Anyway, maybe "PIO.PDF" for print to PDF.

-M@

• Like 2

Configuring real printers on linux can be a black art. Sometimes it is 100x easier than Windows, and then other times, it is almost impossible. My Canon laser printer required crawling through UK canon support, cause US support didn't have the download needed.

-M@

That would work!

• Like 1

-M@

mine worked first try ;) printing on the hp ljc 3600 is just loading a driver package and away you go

Greg

Some of us, (myself included), "Know nothing", when it comes to installing a printer from within the TIPI/Pi environment. To that end, it would sure be nice to see some directions designed for us ignorant noobs.

- Hey, somebody has to have the guts ask!

https://www.howtogeek.com/169679/how-to-add-a-printer-to-your-raspberry-pi-or-other-linux-computer/

pretty easy to google this icon_smile.gif if you need a driver for your printer (ie its not in the list) googling that "printer model linux driver" usually gets you the info.. mine i had to install a package: "sudo apt-get install printer-driver-pxljr" for my hpclj3600

Greg

As Greg gets further along, I'll look at ways to incorporate setup of this through PI.CONFIG so we don't have to go to linux to set it up. I'd prefer 100% of the users, if they wish can treat the PI as a part of the TI, and not break the suspension of dis-belief by shelling into linux all the time.

-M@

• Like 4