IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

Yes, periodically, I will update the base image.

However it is crucial that the issue with upgrade is analysized and the root cause of the problem fixed. If I can't reproduce it, and you all skip ahead, it will never be fixed.

Now it worked for Chris, but not for Omega. Might be a complication based on the state after one of the previous updates. I don't know.

For now you can use the old image, and just not upgrade.

-M@

I got mine upgraded to 1.0betav018 tonight without a problem.

Before I started, I shut down the Pi and took an image of the SD card with Image for Windows, just so I'd have a failsafe way to back out if needed. Then I brought the Pi back up, sshed into it from putty on another machine and started htop in the putty window. Then I got into TI BASIC, called TIPI and started the upgrade. I was able to watch the CPU usage and see the processes launch and finish. It took a while, but it was pretty easy to see when the upgrade was done. The CPU on the Pi Zero W was hovering around 100% until the upgrade was done, then it dropped to something like 10% and bounced around that. At that point I hit "R" to reload on the TI and I could see that it had upgraded. I'm sure things would look significantly different on something like a Pi 3 with multiple cores (The Zero W has one). but it should still be fairly obvious what the Pi's up to using htop or something similar.

I didn't need to use the backup image, but it's good to have a good roll-back point. Now that I think of it, I'm going to do a post-upgrade image right now so that I have another restore point.

• Like 2

However it is crucial that the issue with upgrade is analysized and the root cause of the problem fixed. If I can't reproduce it, and you all skip ahead, it will never be fixed.

I figured that might be the case, which is why I sent you the logs of the failed installation.

The good news is, I'm up-to-date and running again, so I'm free to play with my TI again when I have time. Probably this evening! :)

Just wanted to report in.
I upgraded my dsr without issue.
Upgraded from 1.0beta016 to 018

Pressed R)eload and it hung (as expected) until at some point the PI-Version updated

Pressed R)eload again and it reloaded with the correct version. checked web interface and saw two file updated.

Pressed re(B)oot and waited until web interface became responsive again.

Pressed Q)uit got to title screen

1 then 1 to TI BASIC

CALL TIPI - it loads fine but I did notice that it takes a tad longer than usual to populate the Pi-Version and the IP.

Also noticed an odd socket on the eprom socket once the chip was removed. Innards bent up weird but the chip reinserted fine - i don't think it's related to load time and I didn't count the pins to find out what pine socket it was. just noting it here.

I have powered off then on again at everything works as usual with the same delay to populate those two fields (PI-Ver & IP).

That is all. Now it's time to Break Free for a little bit..

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

Just wanted to report in.

I upgraded my dsr without issue.

Upgraded from 1.0beta016 to 018

Pressed R)eload and it hung (as expected) until at some point the PI-Version updated

Pressed R)eload again and it reloaded with the correct version. checked web interface and saw two file updated.

Pressed re(B)oot and waited until web interface became responsive again.

Pressed Q)uit got to title screen

1 then 1 to TI BASIC

CALL TIPI - it loads fine but I did notice that it takes a tad longer than usual to populate the Pi-Version and the IP.

Also noticed an odd socket on the eprom socket once the chip was removed. Innards bent up weird but the chip reinserted fine - i don't think it's related to load time and I didn't count the pins to find out what pine socket it was. just noting it here.

I have powered off then on again at everything works as usual with the same delay to populate those two fields (PI-Ver & IP).

That is all. Now it's time to Break Free for a little bit..

Not sure why it would be 'slow'... nothing changed there. Well, we did slow it down 25% in late March.

The dual-wipe EPROM socket on your TIPI board has seen probably a 100 swaps. I didn't think about that when I mailed you mine for the CPLD update. Just be gentle pulling the eprom, and check the socket, and tuck it back in with a toothpick before stuffing a ROM back in. Sorry about that.

-M@

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

TIPI beta 19 software update has been released.

This contains fixes to keep the TIPI healthy and responsive.

Reasons to update: this provides prerequisites for an upcoming version of CHATTI.

Otherwise, it contains improvements to the upgrade process, so there isn't the appearance of a lockup while the PI is just busy updating.

The update process is intense, and the PI Zero W often just looks like it isn't doing anything. Sadly that will still be the experience for this update. Wait 6 minutes before pressing 'R', and then wait longer. If it appears locked, the update is still happening. This is dependent on network download speed, and a few other factors. Interrupting the downloads leaves python packages in an unrecoverable state.

A new b19 sd-card image is also on my website if anyone needs to start from scratch.

-M@

• Like 1

Upgrade to 19 went fine here, took about 1.5m on a 3B. Tested Chatti quickly, it was up and running. Though, no one online at 1:40am (central)... :)

TIPI beta 19 software update has been released.

This contains fixes to keep the TIPI healthy and responsive.

Reasons to update: this provides prerequisites for an upcoming version of CHATTI.

Otherwise, it contains improvements to the upgrade process, so there isn't the appearance of a lockup while the PI is just busy updating.

The update process is intense, and the PI Zero W often just looks like it isn't doing anything. Sadly that will still be the experience for this update. Wait 6 minutes before pressing 'R', and then wait longer. If it appears locked, the update is still happening. This is dependent on network download speed, and a few other factors. Interrupting the downloads leaves python packages in an unrecoverable state.

A new b19 sd-card image is also on my website if anyone needs to start from scratch.

-M@

Edited by jonecool
  • Like 1

Update went smoothly here as well. I especially liked the LED display keeping me informed of what was happening.

ACCESSING

UPGRADE

followed by TIPI READY

... although out of sheer paranoia I waited a couple of minutes before I pressed "R" :ponder:

Now, just wait until the next update... There will be no 'press R' to worry about.

The experience will be very similar to what happens now if you press B for PI reboot in TIPICFG.

-M@

• Like 1

Good question, that terminology is a bit archaic. But it struck me as important, because you cannot actually power-off a Raspberry PI with a software command. You can only 'halt' the OS like PCs before ATX software controlled powersupplies. (actually I remember now that it also fit on the small TI screen better than shutdown, and s was used for something...)

I've just updated the wiki to cover this and explain the rest of TIPICFG. https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/TIPICFG

After issuing the halt, wait a bit for the Raspberry PI to flush everything and stop writing to the sd-card. Some have a light. See your Raspberry PI's owners manual for details icon_smile.gif LOL... Actually lots of the kits come with a piece of paper that explains this.

You can also use the webui to halt the Raspberry PI... http://tipi:9900

So it's a "shutdown -h NOW" then :)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

My TIPI arrived today, I have made all configurations to make it work, but I have two questions:

It´s mentioned that I have to write stty erase <press-FCTN-S> to grow the sd partition.

On my TI all that happens are that the cursor go back one step, I don´t get the desired H to complete the command.

The second thing I wonder are how I can convert .DSK to TI-files on a Mac?

I tried the TI-Disk Manager with no success...

My TIPI arrived today, I have made all configurations to make it work, but I have two questions:

It´s mentioned that I have to write stty erase <press-FCTN-S> to grow the sd partition.

On my TI all that happens are that the cursor go back one step, I don´t get the desired H to complete the command.

The second thing I wonder are how I can convert .DSK to TI-files on a Mac?

I tried the TI-Disk Manager with no success...

Ah, the stty command is no longer necessary if you started from the b19 sd-card image ( or have applied the update from an earlier image ), bash is now the 'tipi' user's default shell, and it does the correct thing regarding backspace (left-arrow)

Just perform the sudo raspi-config --expand-rootfs

As for how to convert disk images on a Mac... You can use TiImageTool if you have java... See ninerpedia: https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/TIImageTool

Or you can use 'wine' and Fred Kaal's Ti99Dir utility under windows emulation environment.

I have used these first hand on a Mac, but I no longer have a Mac environment.

I am slowly working on a feature to allow upload of disk images to the tipi web-ui, and have it auto-convert them to a directory of files. But that isn't available yet.

-M@

• Like 3

Ah, the stty command is no longer necessary if you started from the b19 sd-card image ( or have applied the update from an earlier image ), bash is now the 'tipi' user's default shell, and it does the correct thing regarding backspace (left-arrow)

Just perform the sudo raspi-config --expand-rootfs

As for how to convert disk images on a Mac... You can use TiImageTool if you have java... See ninerpedia: https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/TIImageTool

Or you can use 'wine' and Fred Kaal's Ti99Dir utility under windows emulation environment.

I have used these first hand on a Mac, but I no longer have a Mac environment.

I am slowly working on a feature to allow upload of disk images to the tipi web-ui, and have it auto-convert them to a directory of files. But that isn't available yet.

-M@

Thanks! :-D

For about the 4th or 5th time now, the file system on my pi has become corrupted, causing a kernel panic when it boots. It happened most recently when I was trying to run the expand-rootfs command. It completed it, told me to reboot, so I rebooted it from the TIPICFG program and during the first boot, many of the TIPI services failed to start, as did ssh, but it did get to a login prompt. I couldn't ssh to it so I power cycled the pi and got the panic. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm going to try a different SD card and see if it is just my card, but would be curious to see if anyone else has had any issues like this.

I don't believe it is anything at all related to the TIPI, but just thought I would ask here.

Edited by Casey

That's Interesting. My first *GUESS* would be the SD card as a new install should not bugger up like that.

If you are going to to try the same card again, use an SD card formatter to totally start over from scratch.

Please let us know what happens, so we can all learn from it.

For about the 4th or 5th time now, the file system on my pi has become corrupted, causing a kernel panic when it boots. It happened most recently when I was trying to run the expand-rootfs command. It completed it, told me to reboot, so I rebooted it from the TIPICFG program and during the first boot, many of the TIPI services failed to start, as did ssh, but it did get to a login prompt. I couldn't ssh to it so I power cycled the pi and got the panic. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm going to try a different SD card and see if it is just my card, but would be curious to see if anyone else has had any issues like this.

I don't believe it is anything at all related to the TIPI, but just thought I would ask here.

Try another sdcard

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

We learned something today:

post-42954-0-07124600-1528866878_thumb.png

Connecting the TIPI to the wrong end of the PI GPIO will destroy the TIPI.

So... don't do that. Seriously. Check, doubled check, before powering up the PI. Cover the dangerous end up if you don't need it. Be safe!

-M@

• Like 2

These days I only buy SanDisk and Samsung SD cards.

Hey Matt, the OLED screen… How hard is it to support other resolutions? The 0.91" screens are a bit tough on my eyes. I saw a 2.2" 128x32 that's not bad. I saw a 2.8" 256x64 that'd be a lot nicer. I wouldn't object to pure pixel doubling. :)

Apparently OLED character displays are now becoming common/cheap as a replacement for the LCD displays everybody's been using. That'd solve a few problems for me with the poor contrast of the LCDs, certainly!

These days I only buy SanDisk and Samsung SD cards.

Hey Matt, the OLED screen… How hard is it to support other resolutions? The 0.91" screens are a bit tough on my eyes. I saw a 2.2" 128x32 that's not bad. I saw a 2.8" 256x64 that'd be a lot nicer. I wouldn't object to pure pixel doubling. icon_smile.gif

Apparently OLED character displays are now becoming common/cheap as a replacement for the LCD displays everybody's been using. That'd solve a few problems for me with the poor contrast of the LCDs, certainly!

Frankly you can just modify his oled section.. its just in python.. ymmv but likely it may work out of the box if the signalling is the same

We learned something today:

attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2018-06-12 22-10-54.png

Connecting the TIPI to the wrong end of the PI GPIO will destroy the TIPI.

So... don't do that. Seriously. Check, doubled check, before powering up the PI. Cover the dangerous end up if you don't need it. Be safe!

-M@

That's partially why I hacked mine with a 40 pin connector on one end... makes it easier not to put them upside down. I suppose the keyed notch would also help make sure you had the right end as well.

Since this Pi is dedicated to the TI, I see no downfall to losing those other GPIO pins.

• Like 1