IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

Pushed update 22.

You are correct. I suspect this fixes the noise issue Omega had with his autostarting 4A-DOS cart. But I cannot test that.

As you can see I updated below. I'll go in and eliminate the delay file when I have time and see if that fixed it. Maybe tomorrow after work.

38 Second Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKsJpHkfy20&feature=youtu.be

Omega, the update that Sin is talking about is the TI EPROM DSR, not the soft update... Sorry if that was confusing. This EPROM contained the code that made your DOS cartridge squeel.

--

I guess I should make a video that shows the actual upgrade process for the typical user.

'cept it is really too straight forward...

Load TIPICFG with "CALL TIPI" from basic.

Observe the message in TIPICFG instructing that an update is available.

Press 'U' to start the update.

Observe the spinner /-\|... on your 4A screen until update is complete.

-M@

Okay on the EPROM DSR. I guess I'll get the updated DSR when I get my PEB-TIPI. I'll order a new chip for my external model further on down the road a bit, for now I'm happy with what I have.

Yeah, the TIPI update is insanely easy. Even a Chimpanzee can press the letter U and upgrade.

I've not noticed if it's been mentioned already, but will the mounting hardware (screws & such) be included with the PEB-TIPI for mounting an RPi, or are we on our own.

No hardware is included i use the same #2 Screws i use in the joystick adapter for the acrylic cover

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mind including something if I could find the right thing from the right source.

To do it right, there needs to be a spacer between the TIPI-PEB card and the PI. #2 screws seem to be the right size. I tried standoffs once, but they only fit in 1 of the 4 PI holes. Odd. I can't get appropriate spacers at my local hardware store.

If someone has time on their hands and wants to send me some product links, I'd take it under advisement.

Anything to reduce the desire to use those LED displays. icon_smile.gif LOL --- you could always cable that over to your drive bay.

-M@

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind including something if I could find the right thing from the right source.

To do it right, there needs to be a spacer between the TIPI-PEB card and the PI. #2 screws seem to be the right size. I tried standoffs once, but they only fit in 1 of the 4 PI holes. Odd. I can't get appropriate spacers at my local hardware store.

If someone has time on their hands and wants to send me some product links, I'd take it under advisement.

Anything to reduce the desire to use those LED displays. icon_smile.gif LOL --- you could always cable that over to your drive bay.

-M@

It looks like I need to put the cart before the horse again and by yet another Rpi so it'll be ready when I get my PEB-TIPI. I'll try it your way Matt for my P-Box version (without the I2C display), but it all honesty I really like that display and will miss it, so no guarantees on how long that will last. ;)

Anyway on that note, a link to the proper hardware to purchase would be welcome. I'm assuming it's not just screws but nuts and washers as well.

I also think a light pipe kit would be nice too.

It looks like I need to put the cart before the horse again and by yet another Rpi so it'll be ready when I get my PEB-TIPI. I'll try it your way Matt for my P-Box version (without the I2C display), but it all honesty I really like that display and will miss it, so no guarantees on how long that will last. ;)

Anyway on that note, a link to the proper hardware to purchase would be welcome. I'm assuming it's not just screws but nuts and washers as well.

I also think a light pipe kit would be nice too.

ROFL!

Well, the PEB already has a light pipe, one for each card slot, and the TIPI feeds it with a little red LED.

-M@

ROFL!

Well, the PEB already has a light pipe, one for each card slot, and the TIPI feeds it with a little red LED.

-M@

Yes, but in this case I'm not referring to the LED on the TIPI, but directing the light from the LED's on the Rpi mounted on the TIPI.

There would need to be a 3D printed "light shade" that slips over the TIPI's LED to prevent light from bleeding to the adjacent card slot. I think this could be accomplished with a black rectangular funnel type design, but it would also need to have a hole on one side, with a guide to direct the light pipe material to the proper spot on the PEB's indicator. Basically the PEB indicator would show the TIPI & RPi LED's.

I don't think I'd direct both LED's from the RPi myself, probably only the green one.

** EDIT **

Actually come to think about it, the light could even be directed to an unused slot with light pipe if someone wanted, but a different receiver/coupler would need to be designed.

Edited by --- Ω ---

32GB is HUGE by TI standards, but considered inadequate for many contemporary applications. To this reality, the prices of SD cards in the sizes that we hobbyists need are coming WAY DOWN in price, even Wally World has some decent prices << HERE >>. So, if you are going to try to get one of the P-Box TIPI's in the next batch, why not get your micro SD card now and be "ready to go" once it arrives.

• Like 1

I went to my local hardware store a few minutes ago and they did not have any M2's in either vinyl or stainless. I ended up buying some slightly larger vinyl ones with the hope they will fit, and IF POSSIBLE might enlarge the holes a tad with the Dremel, if not possible, I'll have to wait a week or so until I have another day off.

Both the RPi & TIPI are supposed to arrive tomorrow while I'm at work.

• Like 1