IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

Received both my new PEB-TIPI and another RPi 3 today, so I assembled everything, and installed it in my P-Box.

gallery_35324_1027_3814.jpg

After previously removing both RS-232 cards, one an HDX, I loaded up DU2K to check things out...

gallery_35324_1027_125221.jpg

All seems to work fine... albeit with a minor glitch. When I load up I get this 50% of the time and need to perform some reset or two.

gallery_35324_1027_48191.jpg

This should not be, because the CHARA1 file is on the DOS cartridge. After resetting a time or two, I get the menu I'm supposed to have... weird.

gallery_35324_1027_100566.jpg

I'm wondering if the TIPI is just too fast on the uptake on the initial startup and somehow overrides my blindingly fast DOS cartridge?

I'm also getting some funky stuff with my CorComp clock too, but I'll check that out later.

I'll obviously play around with this all some more later, but this is just the initial reaction.

I do have one word of advice... it's much easier to install the micro SD card BEFORE you mount the RPi to the TIPI. :-D

I hooked up my TiPi and put it in the Geneve. So far no go.

I go into XB and try to do the CALL TIPI and the tipi lights comes on but then the Geneve freezes.

I assume you are using Rompage?

Assuming you are on a stock Geneve, what does MEMTEST show you at pages >3A, 3C, >7A, 7C, >BA, >BC?

Edited by BeeryMiller

Sounds just like what we experienced with Arcadeshopper's... the ROM can be read, thus you didn't get 'BAD NAME' error in XB...

But we couldn't write to the DSR space where the outgoing data latches for the Raspberry PI are mapped into the TI memory space... 5FFD and 5FFF

There is a test exercise here: https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/blob/master/services/LOW_LEVEL_TESTING.md

-M@

• Like 1

Chris,

If you have a Rave Speech card, can you put it in the system without the TIPI present? I assume if you do have a Rave Speech card, it has not been modified for a GenMod system.

I do not recall if page >BC with the Rave Speech is flagged as a "Partial Page" in MemTest when there is no other ram present in that page. If you do get a white page on page >BC with a Rave Speech card, then it says something about the memory mapping is different between a GenMod system and Stock system on the read/writes to that memory.

What I do not recall is if when Ron wrote the program, if he checked all memory in an 8K page regardless of whether the first byte failed on a read/write loop. That is what I am hoping to learn regarding the Rave Speech.

If you do not have a Rave Speech, perhaps someone else has one with a stock Geneve and can run the program and report back with MEMTEST. They do not have to have a TIPI to do that test.

Beery

You first! :grin:

Let me know how it works out... I'm a little leery about cutting into and pulling current off a shared data lead with the RPI, even if it's in a parallel arrangement.

Already have.. it's not parallel and is only 5v the pin at the top is just ground

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Chris,

If you have a Rave Speech card, can you put it in the system without the TIPI present? I assume if you do have a Rave Speech card, it has not been modified for a GenMod system.

I do not recall if page >BC with the Rave Speech is flagged as a "Partial Page" in MemTest when there is no other ram present in that page. If you do get a white page on page >BC with a Rave Speech card, then it says something about the memory mapping is different between a GenMod system and Stock system on the read/writes to that memory.

What I do not recall is if when Ron wrote the program, if he checked all memory in an 8K page regardless of whether the first byte failed on a read/write loop. That is what I am hoping to learn regarding the Rave Speech.

If you do not have a Rave Speech, perhaps someone else has one with a stock Geneve and can run the program and report back with MEMTEST. They do not have to have a TIPI to do that test.

Beery

no rave speech card in my system. Just Myarc FDC, HRD, HDX and Geneve

Well, this re-enforces my statements earlier, that the TIPI PEB board is not supported with the Geneve.. Good to know...

We also know now that the Beaverton TI-99/4A Consortium's local Geneve is probably not the problem, so it would be worth while to continue experiments on it.

Now, let's go back to the dev thread, and talk about memory timing diagrams when the Geneve is driving the PEB bus.

-M@

• Like 1

Well, this re-enforces my statements earlier, that the TIPI PEB board is not supported with the Geneve.. Good to know...

We also know now that the Beaverton TI-99/4A Consortium's local Geneve is probably not the problem, so it would be worth while to continue experiments on it.

Now, let's go back to the dev thread, and talk about memory timing diagrams when the Geneve is driving the PEB bus.

-M@

https://zippy.gfycat.com/AlarmingHauntingCygnet.webm

I installed a TiPi PEB in my 99/4A system.

I noticed that :

• I cannot copy from the TiPi to an actual floppy drive
  • I cannot save any programs to an actual floppy disk drive from basic or XB
  • I can copy from a physical disk drive to the TiPi.

Is bullet 1 and 2 normal ?

I installed a TiPi PEB in my 99/4A system.

I noticed that :

• I cannot copy from the TiPi to an actual floppy drive
  • I cannot save any programs to an actual floppy disk drive from basic or XB
  • I can copy from a physical disk drive to the TiPi.

Is bullet 1 and 2 normal ?

With what program are you copying

What cru and what floppy controller

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

So, I thought that either direction was working well with DM2K... but it is still getting confused by the new device.

I am going to have to just write a disk manager, per the TI spec... that just says every storage device must come with a disk manager cause we will not provide you an API for disk management that works across multiple devices.

Which means all new disk managers must special case all devices they wish to support management of.

The 'Myarc' mode doesn't work well enough to recommend either, as DM2K appears to assume something else about buffers that I will never know how to account for.

---

You should however, be able to save to a real floppy if you have not mapped that drive in TIPICFG...

I will retest that now.

-M@

Myarc Mode does not "lock in", it always returns to TI mode, I figure there must be a reason for this, but I also think the time has come for a new TIPI support program.

Now many of us know PALEA5 for the F18A, you run it and that's it, settings changed and it quits. I'd like to see a small EA/5 program for the TIPI that does this as well. You run it, and it changes TIPI to "Myarc Mode" and quits, that's it. We could run it when we need it, and it would be super easy from BOOT/9640 Menu System or as a call in a BATCH file in 4A/DOS.