IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

For what its worth, I have MyTerm working with the TIPI now with full ANSI support. I've also been able to drop about 4K of code out of the program.

I still have a few quirks to work out, but things are progressing well.

After this, I will start looking at Mass Transfer 80 column.

Beery

• Like 5

I understand that. I had one more feature request, but now I'll keep it to myself. (Bummer, it was a good one too)

passive aggressive much? What he's not willing to do is change the HARDWARE .. post your idea likely it's just software .. plus thought you weren't on AA for a month?

passive aggressive much? What he's not willing to do is change the HARDWARE .. post your idea likely it's just software .. plus thought you weren't on AA for a month?

I was not aware that was passive aggressive, I was actually trying to be funny. I guess I missed the mark!

You are correct, it's a software thing, but I'm unsure of the best way to implement it. What's the idea?

AUTOMATIC TIPI BACKUP
I’d like to see a PC based program, or an extension to the TIPI interface that does an one-button or timed BACKUP of the ENTIRE user contents of the TIPI to a user defined directory on the PC. You never know when 'something' will happen.

I was not aware that was passive aggressive, I was actually trying to be funny. I guess I missed the mark!

You are correct, it's a software thing, but I'm unsure of the best way to implement it. What's the idea?

AUTOMATIC TIPI BACKUP

I’d like to see a PC based program, or an extension to the TIPI interface that does an one-button or timed BACKUP of the ENTIRE user contents of the TIPI to a user defined directory on the PC. You never know when 'something' will happen.

Pc side mount tipi drive as a letter I use T:

use SW of your choice I use rsync for win to sync to a folder

Tipi side telnet to pi rsync to pc share I do this to a nas I have on my network. Could be scheduled with cron

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Pc side mount tipi drive as a letter I use T:

use SW of your choice I use rsync for win to sync to a folder

Tipi side telnet to pi rsync to pc share I do this to a nas I have on my network. Could be scheduled with cron

COOL!

Okay, so far... gallery_35324_1027_2093.png

... now I just need a link to a program or instructions so this old dog can learn a new trick.

To be clear, I want to start using TIPI as a software developer, not keep iterating on TIPI itself.

There are a ton of features and possibilities - I am happy to correct bugs. So far, I have written a telnet client for it and a file copy tool. I have no spinny disks to copy, and am not into BBS stuff...

I need to branch out into things I am interested in to keep the flame going.

Requests are welcome. But I may be more blunt about if I think it is something I am interested in implementing, or happy to leave up to others... My rejection of an idea should only be taken as "doesn't float my boat, but knock yourself out!"

As for backup: I run a cron job that copies my tipi_disk folder to another Linux server over ssh using rsync. I haven't powered on my Windows gaming machine in over a year... I wouldn't know how to backup to or from Windows in an automated way.

I just can't build for an environment I don't use. But by all means, help each other out. Share your best practices.

It is also a pretty common Linux on that Raspberry PI. 'Raspbian' is the Google search term you usually want to include.

-M@

• Like 3

I've been out of the loop for a long while as you know. New job with little free time to pursue hobbies like I was doing in the past but the wheels are turning so forgive me if this has been addressed already. I personally would like to see if there was a way for TIPI to use a URL like a DSK for both read and write.

The simple number game demo I did where two people could play a number guessing game, to see who would be the first to guess correctly, used computers on the same LAN. I never did get the quirks worked out in trying to use a cloud storage like a shared drop box folder for sync'ing - it was a bit slow and something could get screwy (out of sync). But locally where a PC had a drive letter to the TIPI folder it worked a charm (emulated TI vs TIPI TI). Loading programs off the net is a standard feature but if we could save to the url then I think it opens up huge pathway to other multiplayer games, not just 1v1.

Best guess might be using the pi for the URL authentication (User IDs?) to map a read right directory (ftp maybe?). I fell off the boat a while back and don't completely understand how the current iteration of multiplayer games work over the net. Perhaps this is already done?

Since you've been away for a while, I'll mention that cookies are now active/usable with version 9.3 on the TIPI version of the Internet Browser. Implementation on how to use them for your needs, well, you'll have to figure that out,

Actually writing to an actual website? Wow, I can see that being problematic from a site security aspect.

Current network gameplay consists of services hosted by ElectricLab's myti99.com. He runs a server that supports an application-layer protocol for what we called NetVars. He seems to need to extend the service for every application that is written... I scraped a little incomplete documentation together on the TIPI wiki, but I don't understand this piece and we don't have source for the server. You'd have to work with ElectricLab to use this.

So, I would recommend going back to the 70s, and defining/hosting a TCP based server that defines an application layer protocol that is optimized for your use case. This is how multiplayer network gaming usually works. Along with FTP, IRC, TELNET, etc...

If anyone is interested they should be able to write an IRC client in TI BASIC - the fact that nobody has tried speaks volumes.

---

The file based integration pattern will always suffer from latency issues.

If you really want to use it, login to the PI, and mount a network file server under tipi_disk using all the Linux power at our disposal.

-M@

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TIPI update version 1.39 available.

I reworked all the PI.HTTP(S) handling to delegate to the same file abstraction used for local files after downloading the remote resource to /tmp.

Before, I had special case code that only handled raw files as D/V80 or D/F128, and TIFILES as PROGRAM image. Now if it is a TIFILES file, it can have whatever shape that supports.

Also fixed 'restore' and 'status' for NativeFiles, and consequently native files accessed as D/V or D/F via PI.HTTP(S)

--

TIPICFG - no longer has option for WDS mode.

TIPICFG - After entering your wifi password, the screen will redact it with stars. PSK = ********* (youtubers can just jump-cut)

-M@

• Like 3

This is probably slightly off topic, but would it be possible to produce a single pcb with 32k+TIPI, thus only needing one PEBox slot?

Ditto for sidecar, a single unit with 32k and TIPI built into one pcb?

No this completely blocks you from adding sams or other cards with 32k. It's not a good idea.

• Like 1

No this completely blocks you from adding sams or other cards with 32k. It's not a good idea.

I completely agree. Matt covered both bases with the separate side car and P-Box versions. I understand the concept of an all in one design for the sidecar, but one really does have to take into account the time, effort and expense to design yet another one and to bring it to market, and then justify that with potential for units sold... just to break even.

The two card side-car design allows newbies a lower entry level cost and then the ability to expand later with a TIPI and RPi if they wish. When it comes to the P-Box unit, there are already fairly priced memory expansion cards like the SAMS Greg mentioned. I might also mention that a NEW 1024K sells for less than I've seen some used 32K cards go for on eBay.

On the cost of investment, P-Boxes can still be obtained and a portion the expense of a P-Box version can be nicely offset by not needing to purchase multiple 3D printed cases to enclose the TIPI/RPi/32K units. The P-Box version gives one the most options for future expansion, and with the wizards we have here, you never know when the next new gadget will arrive on the scene.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just got everything set up and have an IP address on the tipi. When I go to ti basic and type CALL TIPI("TIPI.NET.TELNET"), it goes back to the TI main screen. I've been able to get the update, so I have wifi. It seems as if the TI isn't communicating with the TIPI. Not sure, so I need some advice. I can type CALL TIPI from basic and go to the config screen and edit without any issues, but can't go anywhere else. Thanx,.

Edited by Retro Nerd

If the config tool loaded, it is talking to the PI just fine.

If you use a browser on a modern computer, and go to http://TIPI:9900, you should see a web tool that lists the files on your TIPI's Raspberry PI.

There should be a NET folder, and in it should be 2 files, TELNET, and TELNEU

If the files are missing, CALL TIPI will just reboot the 4A as you described.

-M@