IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

Just so everybody knows, CALL TIPI with no argument, just sets the name to load to TIPI.TIPICFG, and then proceeds to do the EA5 load.

Once TIPICFG is loaded it uses simple record based file IO through the TIPI adapter to get all the config and status information. So loading TIPICFG and it doing its thing exercises it fairly completely.

-M@

In reference to my post from yesterday, I do have both files in the NET folder. I still cannot do anything other than go to the config screen.Everything must be hooked up correctly if I can use the config screen correct? I have Crubase 1100, Pi version 1.39, Auto=off. My IP address always shows. No other files have been uploaded to the PI other than what came with TIPI. When I press enter after typing call tipi("tipi.net.telnet"), the tipi card lights up, but then goes out when the screen gets to the main screen. I would really appreciate some help with this if possible. Thank you.

Edited by Retro Nerd

Help.

I change my network (replaced router) - I have new SSIDs and passwords. The router has both 2.5ghz and 5ghz wifi Access Points.

In TIPI config (on TI CALL TIPI) I put in both SSIDs one at a time.

I am not getting connection (NoIP).

After I changed the ssid in tipiconfig I write, then I changed the PW and write again. Then I re(B)oot the Pi.

Still no IP.

I know the pi model is capable of connecting. I re-did my retro pi without issue (via retroPi's wifi config).

Any suggestions? I know this is more Pi related than TiPi related, hopeful to get some help here anyway.

I can access the pi locally with monitor KB and mouse connected. Wondering what the Pi's default config is for the tipi (namely via raspi-config) for networking. In case I have to do the initial connection there first. I may have accidentally changed some two setting there as I was going through menu options. Like I may have turned off typically naming of if device or something like that.

Seems TIPI is writing to my Pi wpa_supplicant.conf just fine. research says the below should just work. My router security is set to WPA2-PSK [AES]

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev

update_config=1

country=US

network={ ssid="MYSSID"

psk="MY Passkey"

key_mgmt=WPA-PSK

}

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Disregard my last post - finally got it working. I had to edit a bunch of files on the rpi just to get connected to the wifi. then I had to edit my hosts file on my PC to get the old drive mapping working again.

About to take a backup image of the sd card for safe keeping but my TI and TiPi are back in action.

• Like 3

Disregard my last post - finally got it working. I had to edit a bunch of files on the rpi just to get connected to the wifi. then I had to edit my hosts file on my PC to get the old drive mapping working again.

About to take a backup image of the sd card for safe keeping but my TI and TiPi are back in action.

TIPICFG's wifi management is just the most common case...

A point on execution order:

There is no need to set the SSID, then write, then set the PSK then write.

If either or both are 'dirty' when you write, then both are written together into the wpa_supplicant file, and then a 'reboot now' command is executed.

So there is also no need to reboot as using TIPICFG to set the wifi settings does that automaticallly. ( It however, doesn't block while that is triggered... a bug / oversight on my part )

So, after setting the wifi settings in TIPICFG, users should just 'wait' long enough for the PI to reboot. 20-40 seconds usually.

-M@

• Like 1

I have just pushed a version 1.41 to release... It adds facilities to the post-upgrade script so that future upgrades can determine if they need to do all the expensive work, or just restart the TIPI python services (fast upgrade)

If coming from a version earlier than 1.41 it will still run the slow update. versions after that will depend on what code has changed, but now I have a place to evaluate the before and after version number to make decisions.

I wanted to get this in, before I build a new SD Card image.

There are no other features in this version. You can pay the price now, or later when a feature is actually delivered.

-M@

On 6/15/2019 at 1:59 PM, jedimatt42 said:

I have just pushed a version 1.41 to release... It adds facilities to the post-upgrade script so that future upgrades can determine if they need to do all the expensive work, or just restart the TIPI python services (fast upgrade)

If coming from a version earlier than 1.41 it will still run the slow update. versions after that will depend on what code has changed, but now I have a place to evaluate the before and after version number to make decisions.

I wanted to get this in, before I build a new SD Card image. 

There are no other features in this version.  You can pay the price now, or later when a feature is actually delivered.

-M@

Upgrade to 1.41 went flawlessly. Although I didn't realize I was 2 versions down - or so it appeared. There was an Update, completed that fine, then another update to v1.41 - Which bring me to another questions. And I've searched AA but could not find the answer.

The DSR - I'm on TiPi-DSR_2018-05-01. If my recollection doesn't fail me the next 2 are based around the TiPi start beep and the Geneve. That's to say, without a Geneve, there was no reason to go to TiPi-DSR_2018-06-05 or the latest TiPi-DSR_2018-06-23. Is that correct? Or should I update due to some bug fix I missed?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sinphaltimus said:

The DSR - I'm on TiPi-DSR_2018-05-01. If my recollection doesn't fail me the next 2 are based around the TiPi start beep and the Geneve. That's to say, without a Geneve, there was no reason to go to TiPi-DSR_2018-06-05 or the latest TiPi-DSR_2018-06-23. Is that correct? Or should I update due to some bug fix I missed?

Correct, there have been no useful changes for a 4A user.  My sideport TIPI might still beep :) 

-M@

• Like 1

Is there a way to see the CRU bases of all devices ?

To get the TIPI to work in the end I had to change DipSwitch 3 last pin (to CRU >????),

but then it started to work with TIPI luckily.

(I can see CRU for TIPI with CALL TIPI), but forgot to check each time changing the jumper (left pins, I moved

it up 2x times, but could not get it to work)

See video for settings here:

15 hours ago, globeron said:

Is there a way to see the CRU bases of all devices ?

To get the TIPI to work in the end I had to change DipSwitch 3 last pin (to CRU >????),

but then it started to work with TIPI luckily.

(I can see CRU for TIPI with CALL TIPI), but forgot to check each time changing the jumper (left pins, I moved

it up 2x times, but could not get it to work)

See video for settings here:

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/crubase

-M@

• Like 1

There are 2 issues I see so far in TIPI Chess.

1. Setup is not always correct (like in this picture the queen's are on the wrong colour. The queen choses color. Which means in the initial position the white Queen should be on D1 and the black queen on D8). 

2. I cannot do a roccade. Ilegal move.

Which means move the King from D1 to B1 first and then move the Rook to C1.

(Note it is also possible to do it with the other Rook). There are some other related rule, like King never moved. No check. No field being occupied/attacked. Etc.

IMG_20190623_215107.jpg

Do other people have this issue with TIPI

1. Programs like DiskManager, GIFVIEW, etc. cannot view the files on DSKx. It gives I/O errors, but loading the files (if you know the name is no issue).

2. How to use Multiplan with a TIPI and a Multiplan disk stored on it (either 40 or 80 Column) as it need to find DSK.TIMP.filename.  (so it uses a diskname and not a number like 1,2 or 3)

44 minutes ago, globeron said:

Do other people have this issue with TIPI

1. Programs like DiskManager, GIFVIEW, etc. cannot view the files on DSKx. It gives I/O errors, but loading the files (if you know the name is no issue).

2. How to use Multiplan with a TIPI and a Multiplan disk stored on it (either 40 or 80 Column) as it need to find DSK.TIMP.filename.  (so it uses a diskname and not a number like 1,2 or 3)

TIPI does not support sector IO, and I have no intention to do so... It is not meant to emulate a floppy or other spinny disk thing... There are no sectors as the files are individually contained as TIFILES files.  Sector IO is not the same as Direct Read and Direct Write LVL2 operations, those are supported as they refer to blocks of data within a file.  

For DSK. device usage ( volume name searching ) ( My TIPI wiki docs are wrong, lacking, and hard to find on this subject ) 

TIPI.TIMP. can be referred to as DSK.TIMP.

if directory TIPI.BUSINESS.TIMP is mapped to DSK3, then it can be referred to ask DSK.TIMP.

Mapped drives are searched first from 1 to 3, and then directories immediately under TIPI. are searched second.  If no name match is found, it should then attempt your subsequent storage devices.

-M@

1 hour ago, globeron said:

There are 2 issues I see so far in TIPI Chess.

1. Setup is not always correct (like in this picture the queen's are on the wrong colour. The queen choses color. Which means in the initial position the white Queen should be on D1 and the black queen on D8). 

2. I cannot do a roccade. Ilegal move.

Which means move the King from D1 to B1 first and then move the Rook to C1.

(Note it is also possible to do it with the other Rook). There are some other related rule, like King never moved. No check. No field being occupied/attacked. Etc.

IMG_20190623_215107.jpg

@ElectricLab will have to address this issue with TIPI Chess v.003

-M@

• Like 1