IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

Thank you both.  I saved a few XB files to DSK4 the other day and for the life of me thought I was losing my mind when I cataloged the physical disk and found nothing. Took me a while to realize they went to the TIPI "DSK4." where I found them safe and sound, and accessible.  :)  I'm not beholden to the floppy drive so this is a good time to 'discover' new ways of doing things.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I've poked around a bit on the TIPI wiki and this forum and haven't been able to find a way to stop TIPI from intercepting DSK4.  Is there a configuration switch I need to set somewhere?  Thanks

Originally, I made DSK4. always map to TIPI. because I observed better function with DM2K for copying from tipi to real floppies.  Since I've provided Force Command, that hack isn't necessary anymore. So I am inclined to make DSK4 user settable like DSK1-3 already are. 

-M@

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 9:49 PM, jedimatt42 said:

So I am inclined to make DSK4 user settable like DSK1-3 already are. 

Das is gut.  There are always some weird software out there and it's impossible to factor for every variable.  Some software will only work with disk access, and a sector editor can overcome a programs inherent limitation with a single number change of the drive number.  Being able to isolate those programs and not filling up your main directories is a good feature. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 4:39 AM, --- Ω --- said:

Das is gut.  There are always some weird software out there and it's impossible to factor for every variable.  Some software will only work with disk access, and a sector editor can overcome a programs inherent limitation with a single number change of the drive number.  Being able to isolate those programs and not filling up your main directories is a good feature. 

Keeping in mind that you cannot sector edit files on TIPI storage.. you can just hex-edit them on your PC over the TIPI file share.

-M@

TIPI PI services v1.42 has just been pushed to the release branch. Your TIPICFG upgrade process should detect it.

DSK4 is now mappable in TIPICFG or from writing to PI.CONFIG, I need to update Force Command to also allow this. 

Now any mapping can use the string '.' ( Just a period ) to indicate mapping to the root of the TIPI. storage. 

So for instance to continue to have DSK4 map to TIPI, in your TIPICFG v9 screen it would have a line that looks like:

4) DSK4=.

DSK1, 2, 3 and 4 can each or all be mapped in this way.

Also, I addressed the socket closing problem Beery described a while back (hopefully).

----

Note: You will not see the mapping option in TIPICFG immediately after the upgrade, until you exit TIPICFG, and reload it. ( FCTN-=, 1, 1, CALL TIPI )

-M@

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Gpl rombase call tipi

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Thanks for fast answer!

Can I find rombase on WHT?

I have looked thru my MDOS disks and all I have is a GPL with a menu system to load cartridges, XB, EA and so on.

I can´t recall I ever used TI-Basic on my Geneve.

15 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Gpl I think it's f5 for rombase

I have Mouse menu v2.3 and if I press F5 I return to the menu. I tried to press ESC twice and came to a TI-menu but there was only one choice, and that was Mouse Menu.

I´ve tried all disks with GPL, and all of them has this Mouse Menu. ?

Ok, GPL is the menu where I select speed and load a cart. If I press F5 or F6 and up to F12 it  ask what cart to load.

And I have no Rompage-file on the disk, so I get an error.

Following files are on my disk:

80colgpl/o

80cogpl/s

autoexec

chara1

configsys

ea6

ea61

ea62

ea63 

ea64

gpl

gpm

gpn

glo

gpp

system/sys

util1

util2

xbload

Someone have a disk image that works?

Yeah, as others said.

Load MDOS 6.50

Load corresponding GPL version

Press F5 for Rompage

If you are using the Menu system that has replaced TI-Basic, you can enter a load path of TIPI.TIPICFG

If it says file now found, then you have not hit F5 for Rompage correctly.

Or, if you are running TI-Basic, I think it is CALL TIPI from a TI-Basic prompt.

The only MDOS program supporting the TIPI is MyTerm for TIPI that requires the TIPI driver.

I've been playing with some other stuff for MDOS, but nothing ready for release.  Still, everything is telnet based on the MDOS side of things.

Beery

• Like 1

Nick,

Just keep in mind everything released for the TIPI on the TI-99/4A will work on the Geneve when in GPL mode AS LONG AS ROMPAGE IS TURNED ON.  With ROMPAGE turned on, this activates the onboard TIPI DSR as MDOS is completely unaware of the TIPI.

The only thing that does not work is the Finalgrom version of Force Commander because you can not plug a Finalgrom into the Geneve.

The FTP client only works in 40 column mode on the Geneve.  Not sure if Matt is going to release an 80 column text version for a 9938 processor as he is presently only supporting the F18A for anything 80 columns.

The FTP client does work, you just need to make sure you use the DSR names for the devices such as WDS1 instead of HDS1.  Also, do NOT use MDM5 or any other program when in GPL mode to create directories if you have ROMPAGE mode active.  The Geneve DSR properly laid out subdirectory mapping while the original HFDC DSR and MDM5 did not lay things out according to specifications.

Beery

So, now I have GPL 6.50 working with MDOS 1.14F, I press F5 and TI-Basic turns up. I can make programs and they run fine.

When I make a CALL TIPI I see the green led light up and the Geneve freezes.

I have double checked so the cabels are connected correct, and it seems right.

My system have just the Geneve, TIPI and TI-Disk controller. If I´m correct are TIPI set on CRU <1000 when delivered and I have not changed that.

When I Started the RPI I did change it to be named TIPI2 as mentioned in this thread, have I missed something in the RPI setup?

Nick

Edited by Nick99

So, now I have GPL 6.50 working with MDOS 1.14F, I press F5 and TI-Basic turns up. I can make programs and they run fine.
When I make a CALL TIPI I see the green led light up and the Geneve freezes.
I have double checked so the cabels are connected correct, and it seems right.

My system have just the Geneve, TIPI and TI-Disk controller. If I´m correct are TIPI set on CRU  
When I Started the RPI I did change it to be named TIPI2 as mentioned in this thread, have I missed something in the RPI setup?

Nick
Likely a cable issue

Which cable did you get can you attach a photo of how you have it cabeled?

Matt,

I think I may have asked this question in the past, however I can not find my original inquiry.  At the time, your response indicated it was not possible to see an inbound connection.

I've been playing with some BBS software lately, and I am questioning if there may be another method I can use.

My router, I can port forward to the particular Raspberry PI for an inbound connection.

If the PI has a inbound port open, how does the PI delegate to the TIPI the specific socket?

What I am wondering is if I poll socket "0" with a "Press any key to continue", will I be able to then see/know a connection is present?  Or, does an inbound connection get routed to a random socket?  Or, is there something else?

Beery