IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

I use the "This PC" icon in Windows 10, and then specify a path of \\tipi

When I do that, I open up files the TIPI.  I then have two folders, PDFS and TIPI.

Selecting PDFS shows me the PDF files which I can then click on and load.  I did need to shrink the page to 95% to get everything on the page with my HP LaserJet 5 printer.

If it is the first time going this route, you will likely need to enter the username (TIPI) and Pwd (TIPI).  Not sure if the name/pwd are case sensitive so it may need to be either upper or lower case.

Beery

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

Within my chrome browser I was able to go directly to the file using file://tipi//PDFS/print_2020_01_05_T14_17_30.pdf

However, just going to the directory: file://tipi//PDFS/ and clicking on the file gives me no joy.  I cannot understand it.

So at this point I have to manually append the filename in the URL line to access the PDF's.

So, what I'll need to learn is how to get there from Windows so I can read and DELETE files.

What I remember of windows, is that you use a File Explore, not a web browser... then you enter a PATh like \\TIPI\PDFS... or you go to 'networks' and 'workgroup' and then see that TIPI has to file shares... then you can right click on PDFS and say 'Map network drive' ...

Just like you originally did for the \\TIPI\TIPI share....  

Then you can delete the files and all that like it is a folder on your Windows PC.

-M@

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

I use the "This PC" icon in Windows 10, and then specify a path of \\tipi

When I do that, I open up files the TIPI.  I then have two folders, PDFS and TIPI.

Selecting PDFS shows me the PDF files which I can then click on and load.  I did need to shrink the page to 95% to get everything on the page with my HP LaserJet 5 printer.

If it is the first time going this route, you will likely need to enter the username (TIPI) and Pwd (TIPI).  Not sure if the name/pwd are case sensitive so it may need to be either upper or lower case.

Beery

The network share should allow anonymous access as well... 

-M@

43 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

... I did need to shrink the page to 95% to get everything on the page with my HP LaserJet 5 printer.

Beery

Good point... 

So most modern printers don't have tractor feed handles on the side of the page anymore, and have a 1/4" non-printable area around the page. 

I tried to adjust the margins for the conversion to ignore this, consciously making hard-copy require a little more thought on the end user's part. What I recall of dot-matrix printers, is they could print right up on the left-most column in the top-most row of the page... When using TI-Writer formatted documents and printing them, before I made that adjustment, you'd end up with a double-margin... This really put me off. 

I found that the software I print from (google-chrome) has an option to scale to paper, or scale to printable area.  If your PDF already has a margin in the image ( these are purely images ) then you want to scale paper and let the white part of the image that overlaps with the non-printable area just get clipped off. 

If you print something from TI-Artist or another program that works right up to the edge ( like LIST "PI.PIO" ), you more likely need to scale to printable area when printing. 

It isn't hard for me to expose these margins, and remember the .A4 option for the international crowd... If I got these margins wrong, I can make them a PI.CONFIG setting, or just improve the defaults depending on the feedback.

-M@

2 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

?? Are you using a web browser to view the file share?  Is that a thing Windows does? 

Anyway, /var/log/daemon.log, /var/log/tipi/pio.log, /var/log/tipi/tipi.log  would be useful to see.

-M@

I'd be surprised if it can't be done in other systems too, given how long browsing networks has been a part of web browsers. I remember doing this with Netscape.

Heck, the feature's still used on connection to the outside world sometimes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JB said:

I'd be surprised if it can't be done in other systems too, given how long browsing networks has been a part of web browsers. I remember doing this with Netscape.

Heck, the feature's still used on connection to the outside world sometimes.

I just like to live in my self created sheltered environment where I can pretend UNC's don't exist. 

-M@

• Haha 1

I have finally had some time and energy to work on my Geneve and TIPI, it´s not working! 

Just to make sure that the TIPI and RPi are working I connected my TI-99 to it, and that worked perfectly fine. Tipi config started like a charm and Force command could show the directories and files on the RPI.

So I connected the Geneve and fired it up, MDOS 2.21 and GPL 6.50. When in GPL I press F5 and then into Basic. Type CALL TIPI and the TIPI led Lights up and the computer freezes.

Beery, when you loaded GPL from MDOS 2.21, what configuration did you have in autoexec?

I have TI MODE, SPOOL and RAMDISK, as far as I can see while booting.

And one more question, does the TIPI need the Geneve with the added 32K?

Edited by Nick99

I have finally had some time and energy to work on my Geneve and TIPI, it´s not working! 
Just to make sure that the TIPI and RPi are working I connected my TI-99 to it, and that worked perfectly fine. Tipi config started like a charm and Force command could show the directories and files on the RPI.
So I connected the Geneve and fired it up, MDOS 2.21 and GPL 6.50. When in GPL I press F5 and then into Basic. Type CALL TIPI and the TIPI led Lights up and the computer freezes.

Beery, when you loaded GPL from MDOS 2.21, what configuration did you have in autoexec?
I have TI MODE, SPOOL and RAMDISK, as far as I can see while booting.

And one more question, does the TIPI need the Geneve with the added 32K?

What DSR version comes up in tipicfg on the 4a?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

I do not use Spool or Ramdisk in my Autoexec. I caked up the Config program through the Menu program.  Try an EA 5 loader.  How old is your TIPI?  There was an upgrade for the Geneve requiring a reprogramming of a chip.

beery

Thanks Beery, I will change the autoexec to see that the spool and ramdisk doesn't´t interfere in some way.

My TIPI is brand new, so I guess it should be the latest upgrade for the Geneve.

6 hours ago, Nick99 said:

Thanks Beery, I will change the autoexec to see that the spool and ramdisk doesn't´t interfere in some way.

My TIPI is brand new, so I guess it should be the latest upgrade for the Geneve.

It does sound a bit like the Geneve fix is missing. There is a link on the TIPI wiki describing how to self upgrade the CPLD using the Raspberry PI. 

I don't know the guy who was assembling them. Greg and I reprogrammed those that he received that were disfunctional on the 4A. But if they worked on the 4A we didn't. 

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/CPLD-Programming-With-PI

-M@

• Like 1

Update v1.44 released, 2020-01-11

Server socket support... Now you can write an HTTP server in XB if you like... 

Changes documented here: 

-M@

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

It does sound a bit like the Geneve fix is missing. There is a link on the TIPI wiki describing how to self upgrade the CPLD using the Raspberry PI. 

I don't know the guy who was assembling them. Greg and I reprogrammed those that he received that were disfunctional on the 4A. But if they worked on the 4A we didn't. 

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/CPLD-Programming-With-PI

-M@

Thanks Matt!

I bought it from Greg, so I assumed it would be upgraded to work on the Geneve.

Anyhow, a self upgrade looks relatively easy to do, the two problem I will face are, there is no contact/pins mounted on the TIPI cards JTAG and the second is to find a cable to connect between RPI and JTAG.

Edited by Nick99

3 hours ago, Nick99 said:

Thanks Matt!

Anyhow, a self upgrade looks relatively easy to do, the two problem I will face are, there is no contact/pins mounted on the TIPI cards JTAG and the second is to find a cable to connect between RPI and JTAG.

If there are no pins on the JTAG port, then it isn't one of the batch that I flashed. We soldered headers in for that.  To connect to the RPI, I have used hobbyist female-to-female Dupont connectors often sold as arduino jumper wires.  https://smile.amazon.com/GenBasic-Piece-Female-Jumper-Wires/dp/B077N58HFK/ref=sr_1_22_sspa?crid=2V44E2PYRUJEY&keywords=arduino+female+to+female+jumper+wires&qid=1578839464&sprefix=arduino+fem%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-22-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTDYwRk9PSllGS0FXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODU2ODI1VTNWUTRGRENSNkYzJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0NDQ1MTAxWDFIS1JYS0U3UEVSJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYnRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://smile.amazon.com/Hotop-Pack-Single-Header-Connector/dp/B06XR8CV8P/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3CBPK6JNP9ZG1&keywords=2.54+header&qid=1578839573&sprefix=2.54+%2Caps%2C230&sr=8-8

-M@

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nick99 said:

Thanks Matt!

Sorry they were all programmed by the manufacturer and I'm assuming he used the older cpld code.  I'm assuming you could use male to female jumpers and program it without soldering or just solder in a header it's a pretty easy solder job. If you aren't up to it go ahead and mail it back and I'll program it for you for the cost of shipping.. lmk

Greg

26 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Sorry they were all programmed by the manufacturer and I'm assuming he used the older cpld code.  I'm assuming you could use male to female jumpers and program it without soldering or just solder in a header it's a pretty easy solder job. If you aren't up to it go ahead and mail it back and I'll program it for you for the cost of shipping.. lmk

Greg

Thanks Greg!

I have bought the items needed in localy for 10 dollars, so I will soon get it done.

I´m just happy that we probably has solved why it doesn´t work.

Thanks Matt for the links to the parts needed!

• Like 2

Greg do you know if my TIPI PEB is from the same batch as Nick's?  I am using the TIPI with the TI for my Horizon DSR work but eventually want to use with the Geneve.  If his update fixes the issue I can plan ahead. 
So all of the TIPIs I sold the last year are the same. If there is a jtag header installed we likely upgraded it to the latest code. Ymmv the new code is only needed for Geneve

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk