IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

I have an issue with my TIPI PEB upgrading to 1.44.  My other two TIPI's upgraded with no issues but when I upgraded the TIPI PEB, it looked normal with the UPDATING clocking on the CALL TIPI screen.  I walked away and when I came back the screen was blank and the system would not respond to hitting a key.  

I restarted the system and tried CALL TIPI but it does not respond.  I am able to ping it on the network and SSH login.

What steps should I take to troubleshoot and can I recover?

Thank you in advance.  

4 minutes ago, twoodland said:

I have an issue with my TIPI PEB upgrading to 1.44.  My other two TIPI's upgraded with no issues but when I upgraded the TIPI PEB, it looked normal with the UPDATING clocking on the CALL TIPI screen.  I walked away and when I came back the screen was blank and the system would not respond to hitting a key.  

I restarted the system and tried CALL TIPI but it does not respond.  I am able to ping it on the network and SSH login.

What steps should I take to troubleshoot and can I recover?

Thank you in advance.  

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/FAQ

Q: If TIPICFG upgrade fails, what should I do?

• Like 1

Thank you arcadeshopper,

I followed the instructions. 

cd /home/tipi/tipi/setup
sudo ./upgrade --upgrade

line 2 did not work for me.  I changed it to "sudo ./upgrade.sh -- upgrade" and it responded with "Current Version: 1.44 Latest Version: 1.44 fatal: unable to write a new index file"

What should I do now?

sounds like a disk issue I get:

sudo ./upgrade.sh --upgrade
Current Version: 1.44
Latest Version: 1.44
Already on 'release'
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/release'.
Already up-to-date.
+ fversion=1.44
++ cat /home/tipi/tipi/version.txt
++ sed -n 's/^version=\(.*\)$/\1/p'
+ nversion=1.44
+ case $fversion in
+ TIPI_RESTART_SERVICES=true
+ '[' '!' -d /home/tipi/PrinterToPDF ']'
+ '[' '!' -z true ']'
+ systemctl stop tipi.service
+ systemctl stop tipiweb.service
+ systemctl stop tipimon.service
+ systemctl stop tipiwatchdog.service
+ systemctl stop tipiboot.service
+ '[' '!' -z ']'
+ '[' '!' -z ']'
+ su tipi -c 'cp /home/tipi/tipi/setup/bin/TIPI* /home/tipi/tipi_disk/'
+ su tipi -c 'mkdir -p /home/tipi/tipi_disk/NET; cp /home/tipi/tipi/setup/bin/NET/* /home/tipi/tipi_disk/NET/'
+ '[' '!' -z ']'
+ '[' '!' -z true ']'
+ cd /home/tipi/tipi/setup/
+ cp tipiboot.service tipibutton.service tipimon.service tipi.service tipisuper.service tipiwatchdog.service tipiweb.service /lib/systemd/system/
+ systemctl enable tipiboot.service
+ systemctl enable tipiwatchdog.service
+ systemctl enable tipi.service
+ systemctl enable tipiweb.service
+ systemctl enable tipimon.service
+ systemctl enable tipisuper.service
+ systemctl restart tipiboot.service
+ systemctl restart tipiwatchdog.service
+ systemctl restart tipimon.service
+ systemctl restart tipiweb.service
+ systemctl restart tipi.service
+ systemctl restart tipisuper.service
+ echo 'upgrade complete'
upgrade complete

Thank you arcadeshopper for calling me and walking me through expanding the disk filesystem on the SD card (https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/tipi-installation).  I missed that step on setting up the TIPI PEB!  I appreciate it!
No problem I'm glad it was that and not a bad sd card!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

I keep a PDF on my computer in case I need to setup a new SD card.  I do so, very infrequently, like almost never, so this way I'll never have to remember the website.

Yeah, the old mind is going, going...

TIPI Setup.pdf 90.22 kB · 2 downloads

Yeah, I just turned 56 a couple weeks ago.  I am aware my memory is definitely not like it was 20 years ago.  There is some genetic issues on my mother's side of the family I am hoping is not passed down to me...…….

Beery

• Like 3

Matt,

With respect to PDF rendering, would there be much of a significant difference in time rendering a print job to a PDF with a RPI 3+ versus a 4 on a large document?  I think I saw a note where you indicate speed difference to be expected with a Zero versus a 3+.  Just did not know if there is a significant enough performance increase with a 4 with maximum memory to warrant switching out the 3+ since I have a 4 on hand as well.

Beery

18 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

Matt,

With respect to PDF rendering, would there be much of a significant difference in time rendering a print job to a PDF with a RPI 3+ versus a 4 on a large document?  I think I saw a note where you indicate speed difference to be expected with a Zero versus a 3+.  Just did not know if there is a significant enough performance increase with a 4 with maximum memory to warrant switching out the 3+ since I have a 4 on hand as well.

Beery

- yes it's faster and has more resources so it will pdf faster.. how much faster.. no idea 

- you'll need the latest sdcard image on the 4.. as it requires the newer version of the os.. the new version works on both but not viceversa

Greg

42 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

- yes it's faster and has more resources so it will pdf faster.. how much faster.. no idea 

- you'll need the latest sdcard image on the 4.. as it requires the newer version of the os.. the new version works on both but not viceversa

Greg

OK, I will check into that the next few days.

Beery

TIPI Setup PDF is a great resource.

Could some kind soul, post a picture of their TIPI's with their PI's connected.

The orientation is a little hard for me to picture from the docs, and it sounds like you can definitely plug the cable in wrong, with poor results.

50 minutes ago, dhe said:

The orientation is a little hard for me to picture from the docs, and it sounds like you can definitely plug the cable in wrong, with poor results.

like this one:  Title

basically put the cables near the usb ports.. i posted a bit back about doing this without colored cables too the peb card and the sideport card are identical as for the placement and orientation of the connector 

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/277635-tipi-usage-and-support/?do=findComment&comment=4422228

Greg

Just now, arcadeshopper said:

No reason to I never remove the card

I never have either, but someday the card might fail, or I'll want to experiment, so this seems a WHOLE LOT EASIER than pulling the P-Box out,  opening the top, removing the card. trying to get the SC card out with the P-Box card and RPi so close together, then having to go through all that fuss to put it all back together again.  

I could snake this out the back and use a command strip to attach the SD card end to the P-Box.

1 minute ago, jedimatt42 said:

Can someone explain to me what is difficult to understand about the picture diagram in that setup PDF? 

BTW that PDF is rogue. The TIPI wiki is where that info is maintained.

-M@

I would be happy to redraw it for improved clarity. 

-M@

2 hours ago, dhe said:

You! I want to know what you think would make it clearer!

Would an additive diagram help? Like connecting the first 5, then the second 5.

-M@

Given the header, something like purple wire up and closest to the console, black wire up and farthest away from the console. Once I know I have it properly connected, I'll probably take a silver sharpy and on the end facing up, slather it silver. I had to do that on my Myarc disk controller cables also, because for me, if it can be plugged in wrong, I probably will.

• Thanks 1