IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

5 minutes ago, twoodland said:

Good day everyone.  I am trying to use PHD 5020 "Music Maker Demonstration" with the PHM 3020 "Music Maker".  I have tried extracting the .dsk file using Ti99Dir 6.4a (then converting to TIFILES format) and also tried uploading the .dsk using the TIPI (v1.50) web browser (which automatically creates a MUSICDEMO folder and extracts the files) but either way, cannot get the program to read in the song data.  I receive a load error "I/O ERROR 25".  I notice that when I double click on a song file (CHILDREN, CHRISTMAS, CLASSIC#1, CLASSIC#2 or ROUNDS) TiDir acts like it is a directory with a file that has a Ti Name of OK.  How do I convert this (encapsulated?) file to TIFILES format?  What am I doing wrong?

image.thumb.png.330c8cf85ccfdf4a8d94bd4da71d3afb.png

can you link or upload the disk please

• Like 2

I installed my TIPI into the Geneve system tonight.  It seems that SCSI/SYS is accessing the TIPI card and as a result, the TIPI turns on and locks everything tight. 

I removed the SCSI card and used the Myarc floppy controller to boot MDOS.   I then loaded GPL and activated rompage using speeds 1-5. Each attempt resulted in the TIPI LED turning on and a locked system. 

Seems my card did not receive the latest revision. :(

38 minutes ago, twoodland said:

TIPI_Log.txt 37.15 kB · 2 downloads

FYI - I copied the same file to Classic99 and it works:

image.thumb.png.6654c728cd5ccfd9a083bc996fea6e63.png

Reading the log, it seems like it just errors reading a record after having read numerious records.. might be typical of reading off to EOF without checking status. Which is fine. Unless TIPI doesn't return the correct/expected error code, and maybe the program only checks for the correct error for that case. 

But arcadeshopper inidicates that it works... so IDK.

-M@

• Like 1

3 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I installed my TIPI into the Geneve system tonight.  It seems that SCSI/SYS is accessing the TIPI card and as a result, the TIPI turns on and locks everything tight. 

I removed the SCSI card and used the Myarc floppy controller to boot MDOS.   I then loaded GPL and activated rompage using speeds 1-5. Each attempt resulted in the TIPI LED turning on and a locked system. 

Seems my card did not receive the latest revision. :(

I thought I had SCSI + TIPI + TIFDC co-habitating for a short period, but currently if my TIPI is in my Geneve, I cannot boot off my TIFDC.  So my TIPI isn't even in my Geneve.

If you think it is your CPLD that is outdated, it is really not that hard to follow these instructions provided you can SSH into a PI from some PC or connect a keyboard and TV to the PI. https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/CPLD-Programming-With-PI - and eliminate that as root cause.

-M@

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

I thought I had SCSI + TIPI + TIFDC co-habitating for a short period, but currently if my TIPI is in my Geneve, I cannot boot off my TIFDC.  So my TIPI isn't even in my Geneve.

If you think it is your CPLD that is outdated, it is really not that hard to follow these instructions provided you can SSH into a PI from some PC or connect a keyboard and TV to the PI. https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/CPLD-Programming-With-PI - and eliminate that as root cause.

-M@

Thanks.  My card does not have JTAG headers soldered into place.  Based on earlier comments that the person who put them together might have used the old code and my tests today, I now assume that my CPLD is outdated.  I'm not all that keen on playing with the hardware but it seems relatively simple to do.  I'll seek out the needed parts next week.

• Like 1

Thank you Greg and M@ for checking it out for me.  I appreciate it.  I am glad to know that it is not a TIPI issue.  I will rebuild my SD for the TIPI and see if that corrects my issue.  Again, I appreciate the prompt responses and assistance.

?

UPDATE: It is not the console, RPi or the SD image.  I swapped out the TIPI Sidecar and it works.  I took the TIPI and 32K board out of my case, cleaned all the connections, reseated the chips and EPROM, put it back together and it works!  

Thanks again for the help!

• Like 1

Hi guys, I need some help. I got my first TIPI on Friday and have been playing with it all weekend (Awesome by the way). 

20200223_125142.thumb.jpg.df5940a8292b3872447f479bb9c84747.jpg

I can get almost everything working most of the time, but unfortunately, I'm seeing a fair amount of flaky behavior.  The most persistent is that "CALL TIPI" fails most of the time and goes back to the TI start screen if any cart is installed and sometimes without a cart.  Also, I can load and run CHATTI most of the time from myti99.com, but SNEK fails 100% of the time.  I even tried placing the SNEK EA5 file to a local TIPI drive and it still fails to load.  I've tried two different PIs (one Pi ZeroW and one 3B), and tried restarting and re-seating everything numerous times with the exact same behavior.  There's lots of other random lock-ups and resets as well. 

Keep in mind, there is a ton of things I've successfully done with enough attempts.  I can load and run disk files like TI-ARTIST from a TIPI disk, can load and run large EA3 files , and large BASIC and XB from the TIPI, I just can't run SNEK.  I don't think its the TIPI.  My first thought is I have bad VDP memory that SNEK is using.  My other thought is a console power issue given the cart behavior (dried caps?).  My second console is down while I replace the video memory, so can't swap that.  log file is attached.  Any thoughts?

tipi_log.txt

Then I'm going to suggest it may be your connector between the TIPI and the pi. that or you're doing something on the pi other than the standard software for the TIPI 

Call TIPI should never not work.  If it does fail and reboot you have communication issues between the tipi and the pi.   

I'll try and reproduce here.. I assume you got the latest build?

Greg

Tipi was updated to the latest versio on Friday (1.50).  I’m running the released Tipi image unchanged.  Given two PIs had the same intermittent behavior, one with a cable one with a direct connector, I don’t think it’s the pi or its connection.  

The logfile just shows a good load of TIPICFG, via "CALL TIPI", then a network failure fetching SNEL, the second file in the SNEK program image set. 

No real hint of TIPI misbehaving or getting bad data requests from the 4A... :(  -- Most of the time, the symptoms you describe have been an issue with the cable and noise in the environment picked up by the cable, going from the TIPI board to the PI. Normally in that case, we'd also see bad file names in the requests to the TIPI show up in the tipi.log. I'm not seeing any of that, but this is a short tipi.log - it is erased on PI power-off. And using a direct connect as you are, this shouldn't really be the issue. 

This data issue could, worse case, be a problem with the soldering on the CPLD. A very week bridge could allow intermittent success as you are seeing. -- A successful 'CALL TIPI' exercises all the functions of the hardware. But I've seen boards work, then you clean them and they don't anymore... then you clean them better and touch up with a hot air rework station, and its solid... 

Let's eliminate another thing: It could also be the 32k memory... It would be good if you can (with all that jazz hooked up) run this: https://github.com/jedimatt42/ti994a-32kmemtest/releases

It's a rom for your final-grom that will run burn in testing on the 32k. I would expect this to show a problem on the data bus if there is one, eventually, within an hour or so.

Meanwhile, we'll confirm PI Zero behavior on this end. I have to admit, I gave up my PI-Zero for my ZX-HD ( spectrum hdmi adapter ) and didn't test the last couple images on the zero. 

-M@

I'm having similar troubles lately too with my Tipi hooked up to my PiZeroW the exact same way J-Data's is connected.  I had shifted some things around on my desk at one point and accidentally stressed the connector between the Pi and the Tipi, and thought I had broken a pin or solder joint.  I did some tests this past Saturday, and "CALL TIPI" worked only once - at which point I updated to version 1.50.  Now it's back to resetting to the title screen when I do "CALL TIPI".  I found that I can run TELNET consistently from the NET directory, so I tried moving TIPICFG there too, and CALL TIPI("TIPI.NET.TIPICFG") will work from there.  The 32K memory test passed.  I can do some more tests and get logs this evening.

• Like 1

Great suggestions.  As always, thanks. 

I'm running the burn in test now and will let you know in an hour.  The short version passes just now, but is not very conclusive.  I suspect this could be the cause of the reset issue.  

The behavior is exactly the same on a Pi ZeroW and Pi 3B.  I don't have any Pi 4Bs to try. I don't think this is Pi ZeroW related. 

I replaced the TIPI connector on the Pi ZeroW, to go from right angle to straight and there was no change in behavior (Did this for access purposes, but was a good clue)

The log file was intentionally short.  I restarted and ran the following:

CALL TIPI" (cart in and failed)

CALL TIPI (cart out and passed)

CALL TIP ("URI1.SNEK") (Failed)

CALL TIPI("DSK2.SNEK") (Failed)

By the way, I realized last night from the log the reason the DSK2 SNEK load failed was because I only copied "SNEK" to DSK2, not "SNEL", which the loader was clearly looking for.  However, I checked "myti99.com" and I can't find a copy of "SNEL" so could that be the issue with SNEK?  The second file is simply missing from myti99.com?

Stand by on the burn-test results.