IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

Ok, that is super crazy... Doesn't work here on the PI Zero W either... 

CALL TIPI loads some trash into RAM and does trashy things... 

Probably something related to the migration of the TipiMessage routines into the native libtipi code. 

So the intermittent behavior is probably the result of bad transmission between the PI and the TIPI... there might be a tune-able fix.. time to read some code.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

This sounds like a hardware issue. 

Intermittent lock ups usually mean problem with the connection between the PI and the TIPI board.   However, there isn't much room for error there given @J-Data's design.

If the PEB is connected and powered on, you'll need to make sure only one memory card is active, and that the crubase of the TIPI is not in conflict with the floppy controller. Either of those could cause the same issues. 

I haven't tried with Nano or PEB yet ... should have mentioned since they are both in the pictures. Crossing one bridge at a time, minimal hardware only first until stable.?

Though I am aware once I'm stable, that I'll have to open back up the speech synth and jumper TIPI's 32K "off" since Nano has 32K native and my PEB has a 32K card.

• Like 1

I've just got my sideport tipi, and sideport 32k. and PI Zero W, with the 2.3 SD Image. 

OK, been nanopeb testing, so I forgot I had no RAM in my 32K card. 

Once I put the memory chips back in my 32K board, the PI Zero W is working perfectly... 

hmm... 

Anyone else have success with the PI Zero W and the 2.x PI software?

44 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

With my PI Zero W, I did a checkout of the buster_release branch, and ran setup.sh.  Seems to be working fine, reports version 2.4. 

• Thanks 1

I am wanting to use a nanopeb along side my tipi.
Since the tipi dead ends without a expansion port, i was thinking of the following:
console > sideport splitter >
splitter side A.) speech > 32k > tipi (highest cru base set)
splitter side B.) nanopeb

You think this would work @jedimatt42?

I plan on using the nanopeb for "OLD DSK#." style loading on drives 1-3 and un-mapping any tipi DSK mappings.
To load off the tipi, i should still be able to do "OLD TIPI.DIR.PROGRAM" style loading right, even though the nanopeb is supplying the DSK1-3 devices?

Edited by jrhodes

3 hours ago, jrhodes said:

I am wanting to use a nanopeb along side my tipi.
Since the tipi dead ends without a expansion port, i was thinking of the following:
console > sideport splitter >
splitter side A.) speech > 32k > tipi (highest cru base set)
splitter side B.) nanopeb

You think this would work @jedimatt42?

I plan on using the nanopeb for "OLD DSK#." style loading on drives 1-3 and un-mapping any tipi DSK mappings.
To load off the tipi, i should still be able to do "OLD TIPI.DIR.PROGRAM" style loading right, even though the nanopeb is supplying the DSK1-3 devices?

You can't have 2 32k devices, the nanopeb has 32k that can't be easily disabled so you have to disable your 32k sidecar's memory, just remove all of the chips. 

Greg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

You can't have 2 32k devices, the nanopeb has 32k that can't be easily disabled so you have to disable your 32k sidecar's memory, just remove all of the chips. 

Greg

It does work though, if you take the correct measures around memory... If you are talking about a combo-32k-TIPI board, there is a feature to disable the 32k. If you are talking about the sideport 32k board I designed, just pull out the 74'245 chip. 

software wise, there are people running the combination today, including myself while I develop some nanopeb specific software. The TIPI passes DSK1-4 access on to subsequent devices by CRU order if the TIPI DSK mapping is cleared.  Or you can push the TIPI to be at a later crubase address than the nanopeb and the nano will have DSK1-3, your TIPI will respond to TIPI. and DSK4.

We have 2 PI Zero W users that are getting super odd results, like if changing the firmware on your modem could change your TI RS232 address decoding... 

And we have 2 that work fine. 

I don't really know what to do to troubleshoot here.  

Anyone with an idea?

10 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

I've just got my sideport tipi, and sideport 32k. and PI Zero W, with the 2.3 SD Image. 

OK, been nanopeb testing, so I forgot I had no RAM in my 32K card. 

Once I put the memory chips back in my 32K board, the PI Zero W is working perfectly... 

hmm... 

So far, working fine...   I just updated from version 2.3 to 2.4 with no problems.

This may not be related (and BTW, you helped me immensely on this problem), TIPI/32K / nanoPEB users may want to reach out to J-Data.  He updated the CPLD code in the middle of June (I think it is V3 but not sure.).  This fixed compatibility problems with users of the TIPI/32K and nanoPEB combination. 

It would be hard rule to out a problem with the Pi Zero W.   I ran mine for a couple of weeks with no problems testing emulation software before adding / soldering on the TIPI header pins.   

As an afterthought, he may want to check the solder joints on the header.  As an example, if I had soldered them on there would be a 30% chance of a bridge or cold solder joint. ?

I've not seen any changes in my CRUBASE during any of the upgrade processes.

IMG_20200705_223044.thumb.jpg.7c993f61dc896140ed0e001a526e7e42.jpg

• Thanks 1

Do you have too many PIs in your home network?

Are they all named TIPI? 

You can actually rename them!

I noticed @Omega-TI posting in the wrong thread about his issues keeping his TIPI's straight...  He has a 2 part problem... he has to remember the IP address of each... and he needs to use the thing that looks like a Folder on windows to get to the PDFs he generates when printing from his 4A.

First, to rename your PI's on your network, ssh into them with the IP address as user tipi. If you don't know the IP address, use CALL TIPI from BASIC to get TIPICFG loaded, and it will show it to you in the upper right hand corner. You should see this prompt:

tipi@tipi:~ $

run raspi-config:

sudo raspi-config
password for tipi: ****

you should now see a screen like this:

Screenshot_070620_070303_PM.thumb.jpg.031addbefc3b94c06134ef7406a6ec0e.jpg

Arrow down one so you are on item 2, Network Options. Then press ENTER.

Screenshot_070620_070527_PM.thumb.jpg.39a31643ff087242232dc3c52ed0503c.jpg

Now select item N1: Hostname. Press ENTER.

Next screen has a warning that says hostnames can only be a-z 0-9 and the hyphen character.. Press ENTER.

Screenshot_070620_070803_PM.thumb.jpg.11a76ce64315c5a72a7e7ba72af0f72b.jpg

Set a new name... I have 1 PI for my 4A, one for my Geneve, and a PI Zero W for testing, so my main one is named 'tipi4a' 

After typing in the new name, press ENTER, the OK should be highlighted. Press ENTER again.

Screenshot_070620_071046_PM.thumb.jpg.90e15c7c0ac9973b45200cd94935da08.jpg

Press TAB twice, to move the cursor over to the Finish item, and press ENTER.

Screenshot_070620_071158_PM.thumb.jpg.18e71aa56ad14540e6f75a09c955fd47.jpg

Now press ENTER again, to confirm that you want to reboot the PI. 

Your Raspberry PI will now have a different name. You can repeat for each of your PI's and if your network is all nice and friendly, with good DNS, they're names should work.

If the names work from your browser, such as in my case: http://tipi4a:9900/  then skip ahead to the drive mapping section...

----------------------

If their names don't work... you can fix that locally ( MAYBE SOMEONE KNOWS THE CORRECT WAY TO FIX THIS, I ONLY KNOW THE 20 YEARS AGO WAY ) 

On your windows machine, go to the 'Type here to search' thing in the lower left corner ( I don't know how to screen snap menus in windows either... so.. hold on a bit... )

Type in (but don't press ENTER):  Command Prompt

Then the best match at the top should be the application, right click and select Run as Administrator, you'll get challenged, say yes, and you should get a window like the following:

Screenshot_070620_072016_PM.thumb.jpg.04e7105e9440f6bf146b882e17c8ad62.jpg

cd into C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc

run notepad hosts

Screenshot_070620_072303_PM.jpg.a28c4a48001c1a98050d0bc6b59669d7.jpg

Screenshot_070620_072238_PM.thumb.jpg.0b11e1a218b602a0904b3d7cbe65e3c2.jpg

You can edit this file with lines of the form <ip-address> <hostname> 

Save the file... and your windows machine will consult this first when trying to change a name into an ip-address.

---------------

The Drive Mapping Section

---------------

Now... you want to get to the PDFS share... on your tipi.. say, the one you renamed tipi4a...

Screenshot_070620_072755_PM.jpg.5033fb8e84b561010798e5275af7f1bf.jpg

Click on that File Folder looking thing on Windows. A windows file manager thing will open...

Screenshot_070620_072924_PM.thumb.jpg.a7455a682a801c0179a55010644c336a.jpg

To verify that our given hostname works, click on the Quick access field, and enter:

\\tipi4a\pdfs\

and Press ENTER

Screenshot_070620_073207_PM.thumb.jpg.623aabc47936abf692377d7e572af6a7.jpg

Now, click the little down arrow menu-nub to the right of 'Easy access', and select 'Map as drive'

Screenshot_070620_073451_PM.thumb.jpg.310a286066aa777e5ab325547f76ffa2.jpg

Fill the form in as I have above, you may choose different drives, or reconnect options.. anything you like, just get the \\<hostname>\pdfs\ part correct.  Once you click Finish, you'll get a drive on your PC that is that TIPI's pdfs share.

You can repeat for the tipi share one each as well. 

• Like 1

Just did the upgrade.  Oddly, eth0 no longer works.  Managed to get connected via wifi, ssh'd in - eth0 shows with the correct mac address.  However dhclient eth0 returns after some time with no address.  If I manually set the IP using ifconfig and appropriate netmask and router settings - it can't ping anything and instantly knocks down the wifi connection.

Would like eth0 to work again...  ;)   Interestingly, if I turn predictable names on, reboot, then off, reboot - the eth0 interface will come up... but it's a headache to do that on every boot.

Thoughts?  Thank you, Arthur...

My TIPI / PI 3+ would not upgrade beyond 1.65, so I ended up copying the files I had on the PI to a directory on my Windows system.  Then, pulled the SD card and burned a new image, SSH'd in to grow the  image, then copied my files over except for the 4 that were part of the image (Telnet and TIPICFG pgms).

At that point, ran TIPICFG, and upgraded from 2.3 to 2.4.

Now, two more systems to go.

Beery

• Like 3

Just did the upgrade.  Oddly, eth0 no longer works.  Managed to get connected via wifi, ssh'd in - eth0 shows with the correct mac address.  However dhclient eth0 returns after some time with no address.  If I manually set the IP using ifconfig and appropriate netmask and router settings - it can't ping anything and instantly knocks down the wifi connection.

Would like eth0 to work again...  [emoji6]   Interestingly, if I turn predictable names on, reboot, then off, reboot - the eth0 interface will come up... but it's a headache to do that on every boot.

Thoughts?  Thank you, Arthur...
Did you upgrade from stretch or buster?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

ok l will have to set up Ethernet and test here

Ethernet works fine for me in the scenario of starting with the 2.3 image. 

The upgrade process doesn't mess with networking at all, unless OS updates do so.

The only solution I can reasonablly support to any and all upgrade problems is to backup your data files from the TIPI share, and re-flash with the latest image. 

I was too gentle in my earlier attempt to prepare the community for that eventuality.

Ethernet works fine for me in the scenario of starting with the 2.3 image. 

The upgrade process doesn't mess with networking at all, unless OS updates do so.

The only solution I can reasonablly support to any and all upgrade problems is to backup your data files from the TIPI share, and re-flash with the latest image. 

I was too gentle in my earlier attempt to prepare the community for that eventuality.
He did