IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

21 hours ago, dgrissom said:

His current 9.4 disk image seems to have only EA Option 3 file called INTERNET. How do you directly execute it with FC?  When I tried a "load TIPI.BROWSER.INTERNET"  the program failed to load?

Put the attached program in your TIPI root directory.  Then when you want to load WEB, type "LOAD WEB94"

WEB94

What the hell am I doing wrong?

1) My AUTOCMD works so it's good...

TIPIBEEPS
XBMOD=RXB2015G
XBADDR=32419
COLOR 15 1
CLS
type /ansi ANSI/ans
color 15 1

2) I have AUTO set to ON

3) I have the appropriate files in the FC directory.

4) I have RXB in the FG99's ROOT directory

I load up Force Command type: CD TIPI.WEATHER80.

from that subdirectory I type: XB WEATHER

The system generates a file, but whatever it's doing is not working.

I'm using version 1.6 of the TIPI software if that means anything.

RESULT.thumb.JPG.f792115142ac3fc2ab0454b458606659.JPG

What the hell am I doing wrong?

1) My AUTOCMD works so it's good...
TIPIBEEPSXBMOD=RXB2015GXBADDR=32419COLOR 15 1CLStype /ansi ANSI/anscolor 15 1

2) I have AUTO set to ON
3) I have the appropriate files in the FC directory.
4) I have RXB in the FG99's ROOT directory

I load up Force Command type: CD TIPI.WEATHER80.
from that subdirectory I type: XB WEATHER

The system generates a file, but whatever it's doing is not working.
I'm using version 1.6 of the TIPI software if that means anything.
RESULT.thumb.JPG.f792115142ac3fc2ab0454b458606659.JPG

That only works on 2.4

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, arcadeshopper said:

That only works on 2.4

Arrrrrrgh!  I've been pulling my hair out for the past two days with every free minute I had trying to figure out why it was not working.  I was beginning to suspect my version would not work, so posted the version I was using.  I'm glad that's confirmed, no more frustration.  That's a major bummer because I was going to demo that awesome feature with my sidecar TIPI/32K, but that unit cannot use 2.4.  I guess after I get back, next week I'll have to plug in the P-Box and upgrade.

For Omega's purposes, TIPI.FC.LOAD could just be

1 RUN "TIPI.WEATHER80.WEATHER"

Using older features of Force Command, a script could also have been used, but you don't get the auto-jump into GROM of XB.. 

In this case, that TIPI.WEATHER80 directory could contain a program like the 1 liner above called TIPI.WEATHER80.LOAD

Then the Force Command script would look like:

TIPIMAP DSK1 TIPI.WEATHER80
FG99 TIXB_G

But, you still have to tap the 2 button a couple times to get the weather program in this case. 

10 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Well, phooey!  I'm gonna use this program as intended on the trip come hell or high water, so I just did a quick and dirty edit to the LOAD file...

... go ahead and laugh, it works! ?

I did a quick and dirty version for our local weather.  Here is it's output!XBWeather.jpg.ee91e866528934a1eb115569776a880f.jpg

Sorry, I don't have an F18 to test it's built in 80 column mode!  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/8/2020 at 11:37 PM, jedimatt42 said:

@Omega-TI , as such a Force Command advocate, why are you running TIPICFG regularly? The only thing you should need it for is 'U'pdate... 

[EDIT --> for TIPI used DSK0.  like 1000.DSK0.DISK.FILE)

The DM2KV30 latest version (at ti99-geek.nl) @F.G. Kaal is a great tool to copy multiple files from a directory to a local RAMdisk, it includes the CRU addresses so that it is easier to copy multiple files between all.

Same technique like you do in ForceCMD @jedimatt42 

... now yesterday I upgraded from TIPI 1.63  to 1.65 (using the U option, assuming it included 1.64?)

but now I cannot copy anymore with DM2K out of a TIPI directory (e.g. 1000.TIPI.DISK.DM2K.FILE)

but a pre-assigned disk still works (TIPI DISK2.  e.g. 1000.DISK2.FILE)

Is there a way to "roll back" to v1.63 to see if DM2K still works with the directory?

Also I also saw somewhere that we need to go to a new linux-base image? @arcadeshopper

Update> (just read this at the other forum): 

and tested it... DSK0. works   like 1000.DSK0.DISK.FILE

Edited by globeron

13 minutes ago, globeron said:

The DM2KV30 latest version (at ti99-geek.nl) @F.G. Kaal is a great tool to copy multiple files from a directory to a local RAMdisk, it includes the CRU addresses so that it is easier to copy multiple files between all.

Same technique like you do in ForceCMD @jedimatt42 

... now yesterday I upgraded from TIPI 1.63  to 1.65 (using the U option, assuming it included 1.64?)

but now I cannot copy anymore with DM2K out of a TIPI directory (e.g. 1000.TIPI.DISK.DM2K.FILE)

but a pre-assigned disk still works (TIPI DISK2.  e.g. 1000.DISK2.FILE)

Is there a way to "roll back" to v1.63 to see if DM2K still works with the directory?

Also I also saw somewhere that we need to go to a new linux-base image? @arcadeshopper

oopps you cant use TIPI.. must be DSK#.   so use DSK0. for TIPI.. or map DSK1. ETC

2.xx is out now, and if you aren't already on buster you need to likely reimage your card with the latest.

5 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

can you post your tipi.log when you do that?

2.xx is out now, and if you aren't already on buster you need to likely reimage your card with the latest.

@globeron

I wouldn't expect it to have ever worked. The copy command needs to know that TIPI. is unit # 0.   You can assign any TIPI DSK1-4 to '.' and it will be the same as 'TIPI.', or you can try 'DSK0.'  which is always an alias for 'TIPI.' 

4 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

can you post your tipi.log when you do that?

> okay I will build a new image for 2.xx on another card (as I have several disks and cassette tapes backed-up

and need to check first if those transferred correctly)

Here is the tipi log file.

tipi.log

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

@globeron

I wouldn't expect it to have ever worked. The copy command needs to know that TIPI. is unit # 0.   You can assign any TIPI DSK1-4 to '.' and it will be the same as 'TIPI.', or you can try 'DSK0.'  which is always an alias for 'TIPI.' 

Thank you.  Sorry I was always using DSK0. in the past works like a charm, I am happy now with the setup to transfer

files in all directions (late night testing changed my mind to TIPI ?

(also use now network mapping on the PC to a T:\ drive to use it with TIDIR and look into files directly on the TIPI).

This makes things so much easier than before to transfer files. 

(my last mile is to easily transfer files between TI and Geneve (now hooked up with RS232, but not sure yet how to do it and still use floppies to exchange), or buy another TIPI PEB card for the Geneve, then everything is Wi-Fi networked. 

I still have a spare sidecar TIPI device laying around (was wondering if it could be mounted somewhere in between the TI-99/4A and Speech / PEB Box) I read some pass through options (or splitter), but they were not working for some other  members?

@globeron - so far you cannot use TIPI with MDOS on a Geneve. You can use it in ROMPAGE mode only in GPL... none of my other storage devices work in ROMPAGE, so I cannot transfer files to MDOS through TIPI.. 

You mileage will vary, depending on what storage devices you have in your Geneve. 

---

Splitter's should work fine with sideport TIPIs. I tested most of my TIPI PEB compatibility using a sideport TIPI with a PEB connected downstream. Using this adapter: https://oshpark.com/projects/7y5ux27q

You solder a female-right-angle-2.54mm header connector in, and then this can connect to the right hand header pins on the TIPI board. The PEB 'boot' can connect to it. The edge connector is a little narrow, so you have to make sure it is lined up well in the 'boot' (the flex cable end that plugs into the 4A)

( Someone could refine this design to fit more correctly - I designed it for myself, and it was a 1 and done sort of thing )

2 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

@globeron - so far you cannot use TIPI with MDOS on a Geneve. You can use it in ROMPAGE mode only in GPL... none of my other storage devices work in ROMPAGE, so I cannot transfer files to MDOS through TIPI.. 

You mileage will vary, depending on what storage devices you have in your Geneve. 

---

Splitter's should work fine with sideport TIPIs. I tested most of my TIPI PEB compatibility using a sideport TIPI with a PEB connected downstream. Using this adapter: https://oshpark.com/projects/7y5ux27q

You solder a female-right-angle-2.54mm header connector in, and then this can connect to the right hand header pins on the TIPI board. The PEB 'boot' can connect to it. The edge connector is a little narrow, so you have to make sure it is lined up well in the 'boot' (the flex cable end that plugs into the 4A)

Thank you, can you help to post the link to the adapter again?

@arcadeshopper  can you help to add or link to these two programs DM2K (V30) and TIDIR   (at ti99-geek.nl)

on your website: https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?p=297

In addition to FTP, ForceCMD, Windows Explorer:

> DM2K V30 for mass transfer and easy directory browsing of files from the TIPI to the RAMdisk / normal disks

> like you mentioned to do the network share mapping first in Windows (\\192.168.x.x\tipi  or \\tipi\tipi)

> and mapped it to a Drive letter (e.g. T:\) then with TIDIR you can browse directly on the TIPI device as

> well and for example view directly a TI BASIC program (and other view options). 

• Like 1

TIPI PI software 2.5 - 2020-07-12

- Fix PI Zero W communications issues ( often manifested as the crubase 2000 issue ) 

- This has been tested by @PeteE ( who fixed the issue ) @arcadeshopper and @J-Data ( I tested it too, but I don't count )

- Fix SNEK high score sync issues - some TipiVariables messages are not ascii, but latin1

- Finally correctly fixed unicode file names from the host-os.. ( correct : it shouldn't crash for anyone, and the author agrees with the behavior ) 

- still uses the '`' + crc15 suffix, but the entire unicode name is fed into the crc now, and the 6 character prefix coming from the unicode file name is romanized to single byte characters... using a python library called unidecode. 

- applies to any host os file name that has a character requiring more than one byte to represent in utf-8, or with a name longer than 10 ascii characters.

A new SD Image will be released in a bit... If you are on a PI Zero W, and it works well enough to trigger the upgrade process, then it should get you fixed. If not, you can ssh in as user tipi, and:

sudo /home/tipi/tipi/setup/upgrade.sh --upgrade

• Like 3

I tried upgrading via the TI from version 2.4 to 2.5 but the upgrade just hung and I couldn't access the TIPI subsequently. So I had to SSH into the PI and do a manual upgrade which fixed the issue without any loss of data. I presume this issue should now be solved with 2.5?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep!  I just got done 15 minutes ago myself.  I download 2.5, re-formatted an SD card, used Etcher to put the software on the card, connected to the Pi from the PC, expanded the root, copied all my files over and then tested everything out... SUCCESS!  I did have one small glitch (of my own doing), the WEATHER program did not work at first, then I realized I forgot to turn AUTO to ON!  

YES!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

I tried upgrading via the TI from version 2.4 to 2.5 but the upgrade just hung and I couldn't access the TIPI subsequently. So I had to SSH into the PI and do a manual upgrade which fixed the issue without any loss of data. I presume this issue should now be solved with 2.5?

Hopefully with the intermittent issues out of the way, we will be back to stable. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2020 at 10:53 PM, jedimatt42 said:

Hopefully with the intermittent issues out of the way, we will be back to stable. 

So far in my testing of 2.5, it has been rock-solid.  Only thing I've not yet tested but will later today is the USB mouse connection.  Thank you so much M@, great job Sir!

• Like 3

I went to check out CHESS as I had a game in progress.  My TIPI had been upgraded to 2.4 with a new image.  When I load CHESS, I get a ".003" in the middle of the screen.

Is there something going on with the website or CHESS, or could there have been something not configured since it was a new image I made on the SD card?

Beery