IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

33 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

I went to check out CHESS as I had a game in progress.  My TIPI had been upgraded to 2.4 with a new image.  When I load CHESS, I get a ".003" in the middle of the screen.

Is there something going on with the website or CHESS, or could there have been something not configured since it was a new image I made on the SD card?

Beery

I was on the chess site last night and it was working fine. I have version 2.4 as well.

Hi @jedimatt42

yesterday I made the new tipi SD card with the version 2.5. Since then my Mega Menu program does not work in some cases.

My investigation today showed that an "I/O Error 37" occurs when writing an empty line L3$="" with PRINT #1:L3$ to a file in the TIPI path.

I made two test programs, the first "TEST1" reads the file "TEST-CFG" and writes it to a new file "TEST-NEW".

All lines are filled in the file TEST-CFG, and this program is running in tipi v2.5, so it is OK!

Test25.zip

image.thumb.png.cecad98f2fff69e662fb3ac54d63f9f2.png

The second test program "TEST2" reads the file "TERR-CFG" and will writing to the file "TERR-NEW".

In the file TERR-CFG, the third line is emty. This program breaks and shows the I/O Error 37.

image.thumb.png.9c19724190d86e69c9d7c559737d1964.png

With the Edit40 editor I can save the file with an empty line in the tipi path, but it doesn't work in RXB or standard XB or XB2.6!

When I save the file to my RAMDISK "DSKA." the test program is working fine too!

Am I doing something wrong?

I tested the second file in the tipi version 1.63 and it is running fine in the older version. 

image.thumb.png.21fc89278cf76bbe2c487eed38e505e8.png

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2020 at 10:54 PM, arcadeshopper said:

so i just hooked up my portable tipi setup with a PIzero...  it was on 1.41 so i did an upgrade to 1.59 and it worked fine.. It took A WHILE.. like 35-40min.. I walked away and came back and it was done.. yay!

So then i tested printing to PI.PIO and that worked fine too just slow, like everything on the zero is.. 

Greg

I am trying to get a feel for how slow is the PI.PIO in printing an Ex BASIC listing of approximately 60 lines.   I used LIST "PI.PIO" and waited 10 minutes with the computer looking like it had crashed.  Am using a PI zero on a TIPI/32K. 

Just wondering?  (I know there are faster ways to get a listing using the TIPI interface, etc.)

I have a program bug that I need to sit down and look at hard copy with a cup of coffee and hope that I have an epiphany.

Off the top of my head, I am not sure if TIDIR can load/display an extended basic program.

I know I can load/display with TIDIR a DIS/VAR 80 program.  I then use the Print Function to print out the files as it is a bit quicker.

I have setup a share on my Windows system to the PI so that "My Computer" can see the files on it and allow loading, etc......

Beery

Off the top of my head, I am not sure if TIDIR can load/display an extended basic program.

I know I can load/display with TIDIR a DIS/VAR 80 program.  I then use the Print Function to print out the files as it is a bit quicker.

I have setup a share on my Windows system to the PI so that "My Computer" can see the files on it and allow loading, etc......

Beery

It can

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

@wolhess nice find! Looks like we severely broke empty record handling... 

It reproduces in emulation as well. 

the PI side code to handle empty messages ( 0 length ) is misbehaving. I'll keep working on it tonight, but it'll probably take a couple days to get an update released.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

@wolhess nice find! Looks like we severely broke empty record handling... 

It reproduces in emulation as well. 

the PI side code to handle empty messages ( 0 length ) is misbehaving. I'll keep working on it tonight, but it'll probably take a couple days to get an update released.

A little quantum entanglement with the "I have a bad internet connection and run a BBS from my TIPI" code.   The good news, It is broken the same in emulation... The bad news, it is broken in 2 places. 

That 'safepoint' feature made this more complicated... and it will require some study... 

11 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

Beery

Yes you can display a BASIC or XB program with TI99DIR. I'm using it to copy/paste parts of XB programs or some other texts.

If the XB program is a IV254 you have to use view from the file menu, normal XB programs are displayed with double click.

Printing is also possible and it is fast.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wolhess said:

Printing is also possible and it is fast.

You got that right!  In fact using TI99Dir with the TIPI over a mapped network drive is the fastest (I believe) method to list off a program using modern equipment.

Below is a real-time example of myself printing off a 9 page listing.  It's a real short video, so you get the idea!

• Like 1

Honestly though, when I play with the TI, I like to do as much as possible on the TI.  To that end, I get a little "greedy" in the want department, something I'm sure a few of you would agree with.   Unfortunately, I'm pre-wired to be full of ideas and see things from different angles.  In this case, I'd still prefer to use PI.PIO, but there are extra time consuming steps that get in the way.  Of course all of this could be eliminated with a single program running in the background on the PC that monitors for PDFS activity.  Say for example once a PDF file is completed, the RPi sends a data blip to the PC and the program would access and print the file out automatically, then delete the file on the TIPI SD card, or even copy the file to a dedicated directory on the PC.. configurable by the user of course. 

20 hours ago, dgrissom said:

I am trying to get a feel for how slow is the PI.PIO in printing an Ex BASIC listing of approximately 60 lines.   I used LIST "PI.PIO" and waited 10 minutes with the computer looking like it had crashed.  Am using a PI zero on a TIPI/32K. 

Just wondering?  (I know there are faster ways to get a listing using the TIPI interface, etc.)

I have a program bug that I need to sit down and look at hard copy with a cup of coffee and hope that I have an epiphany.

Thanks for the Input.  I have used and really like TI99Dir!

I've found TIPI:9900 works well.

• Navigate to the correct folder.  Select the BASIC listing.
  • Right Mouse Click and Select all of the listing.
  • Right Mouse Click and Print it to PDF or Printer.

Done...

I will use the PI.PIO in conjunction with a OPEN.

The main reason I didn't use my NanoPEB RS232 to old my Printer.  Old Printer got cantankerous and would not work (I had to fix it.).

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Honestly though, when I play with the TI, I like to do as much as possible on the TI.  To that end, I get a little "greedy" in the want department, something I'm sure a few of you would agree with.   Unfortunately, I'm pre-wired to be full of ideas and see things from different angles.  In this case, I'd still prefer to use PI.PIO, but there are extra time consuming steps that get in the way.  Of course all of this could be eliminated with a single program running in the background on the PC that monitors for PDFS activity.  Say for example once a PDF file is completed, the RPi sends a data blip to the PC and the program would access and print the file out automatically, then delete the file on the TIPI SD card, or even copy the file to a dedicated directory on the PC.. configurable by the user of course. 

I wouldn't feel right building that program and including it in software I give away. Since the core of the PDF conversion comes from a retro oriented commercial product where their for-pay feature set targets that use case. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

A little quantum entanglement with the "I have a bad internet connection and run a BBS from my TIPI" code.   The good news, It is broken the same in emulation... The bad news, it is broken in 2 places. 

That 'safepoint' feature made this more complicated... and it will require some study... 

PeteE did some debugging and confirmed the problem I saw and identified the solution for the entanglement that was observed using the emulation. 

Update 2.6 is available, and fixes what @wolhess reported for hardware. Your empty records may be written again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, Js99er will need to be updated by @Asmusr to get the zero-length fix in emulation (a separate issue from the on-hardware fix.)

Also also, if your DSR is too old (older than 2018-05-01) there's another zero-length bug that Matt fixed ages ago, and you'll need to update your eprom. Thanks Matt!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeteE said:

Also, Js99er will need to be updated by @Asmusr to get the zero-length fix in emulation (a separate issue from the on-hardware fix.)

Also also, if your DSR is too old (older than 2018-05-01) there's another zero-length bug that Matt fixed ages ago, and you'll need to update your eprom. Thanks Matt!

I have released a new version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@jedimatt42 I just updated to 2.6 from a fresh sd image of 2.5, and i just now noticed that tipicfg's reboot does nothing.

It says its rebooting, and about 5 seconds later says reboot completed.

I hardly ever use the reboot feature, i just turn the pi on with the ti, play around for a few hours, and use tipicfg's halt when i'm done.

Halt from tipicfg is still working for me.

I have a monitor and keyboard on my pi, so i know for a fact it is not rebooting, Just sitting at the command prompt idle.

Edited by jrhodes
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jrhodes said:

@jedimatt42 I just updated to 2.6 from a fresh sd image of 2.5, and i just now noticed that tipicfg's reboot does nothing.

It says its rebooting, and about 5 seconds later says reboot completed.

I hardly ever use the reboot feature, i just turn the pi on with the ti, play around for a few hours, and use tipicfg's halt when i'm done.

Halt from tipicfg is still working for me.

I have a monitor and keyboard on my pi, so i know for a fact it is not rebooting, Just sitting at the command prompt idle.

recorded: https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/issues/138

Not going to rush this out, cause nobody needs reboot anyway.

• Like 2

Not sure if this was a one-off thing or not.  Last night, under 2.5 with Rompage on the Geneve, I loaded a DV80 file into MyWord from TIPI with Rompage active.  Made a couple of changes to the file, and then went to save it.  The system locked up forcing a power cycle on the Geneve.  Never before had problems loading/saving files under Rompage on the Geneve.

I went into TIPICFG and updated to 2.6, and repeated the process.  My old file (unchanged) was what was there on the TIPI.  Made my changes, saved the file, no issue.

Just a note.

Beery

• Thanks 1