IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

On 6/13/2020 at 11:36 AM, ElectricLab said:

If someone messaged me on myti99.com using their browser, please re-send here on AA. There was (and still is) a bug in that webpage that munges the data and I got a garbled email instead.

I think it may have been about a password reset, but I couldn't tell.

I am bringing this up again since recently a couple of garbled messages have been sent to me via the contact form on myti99.com, and I have no idea who sent them. I have disabled the form and have instead suggested that people use a modern browser and visit myti99.com and use the contact form.

One person complained about not being able to log in and neglected to tell me who they were. If it's you and you're reading this, please use the contact form on myti99.com with your modern computer and browser.

Another asked about SNEK availability on myti99.com. It's still there at: http://myti99.com/SNEK  and http://myti99.com/SNEL

18 hours ago, ElectricLab said:

I am bringing this up again since recently a couple of garbled messages have been sent to me via the contact form on myti99.com, and I have no idea who sent them. I have disabled the form and have instead suggested that people use a modern browser and visit myti99.com and use the contact form.

One person complained about not being able to log in and neglected to tell me who they were. If it's you and you're reading this, please use the contact form on myti99.com with your modern computer and browser.

Another asked about SNEK availability on myti99.com. It's still there at: http://myti99.com/SNEK  and http://myti99.com/SNEL

I've sent you a message a couple of days ago. 

It appears that SNEK has lost all the high scores and is not registering new ones. Not sure what happened... 

I have an idea for a new feature for the TIPIs.  I find myself changing the disk mapping depending on what I am trying to do.  The auto feature helps a little, but doesn’t always do what I want.  So I was wondering if a feature to have multiple config files could be implemented.  So I could have say “TP99.cfg” for when running Turbo Pasc’99 , “FB4TH.cfg” for when I am running FBFORTH, etc.  So call TIPI, load config, reset and go.  What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

I have an idea for a new feature for the TIPIs.  I find myself changing the disk mapping depending on what I am trying to do.  The auto feature helps a little, but doesn’t always do what I want.  So I was wondering if a feature to have multiple config files could be implemented.  So I could have say “TP99.cfg” for when running Turbo Pasc’99 , “FB4TH.cfg” for when I am running FBFORTH, etc.  So call TIPI, load config, reset and go.  What are your thoughts?
This exists have you looked at the docs on the config file for folders?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keneg said:

Ok, I think I understand that.  I will try it and see how well it works.  Thanks for the information.

You can also write code to change the configs using simple high level file record writing routines. Or use "Force Command" to create 'batch' files to configure things before loading the 'thing you are going to do' cartridge in the FinalGROM99... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

You can also write code to change the configs using simple high level file record writing routines. Or use "Force Command" to create 'batch' files to configure things before loading the 'thing you are going to do' cartridge in the FinalGROM99... 

I intend to install ForceCommand once I figure some of this stuff out.  I know this all probably seems easy to most of you, but to me coming from a Commodore and PC background, it is very strange.  I think I see why the VIC 20 sold better.  It really isn’t as powerful, but much easier to use.

12 hours ago, Keneg said:

I intend to install ForceCommand once I figure some of this stuff out.  I know this all probably seems easy to most of you, but to me coming from a Commodore and PC background, it is very strange.  I think I see why the VIC 20 sold better.  It really isn’t as powerful, but much easier to use.

I had the opposite experience.  I had the TI 99/4A first, and then a Commodore 128, which spent 98% of its time in 64 mode.  After all the commands that TI BASIC has that the 64’s BASIC 2.0 does not, I felt the Commodore had a steeper learning curve.  But I love both platforms.

All that said - TIPI and Force Command, and many of the newer things are things that no one who designed the TI could have envisioned.  The fact that the TI’s operating system allows for devices that were never pictured to just work when designed properly is a really powerful thing.

One nice thing about the TIPI is that the config file can be changed easily within TI BASIC using the normal file processing commands.  I suspect if someone ever designed a VICPI, it would be similar though - either with its own device number on the serial bus, or accessed via a SYS if it plugged into the cartridge port.

While exploring Platoterm with my TIPI set up, I came across a great planetarium program as part of an astronomy lesson. Really cool!

1909148978_PlatoSky.thumb.jpg.302bbc67a48303a49d69ddfec26f2e7b.jpg

Compare that to my primitive planetarium program from 2007 (Sky Chart) :)

1499559116_SkyChart.jpg.6c481e3d87aa1eae20b93e2648bb8ab9.jpg

If you have not already done so, you should really give Platoterm a good look. It has vast amounts of knowledge on all sorts of topics and was quite advanced for its time.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Keneg said:

The stock format TI was actually really easy to use back in the day, however in the past few years some the gurus here have made the TI sit up do things it was never designed, intended or even contemplated ever doing.  Force Command is a prime example of this.  Take it in steps and don't rush it.  Doing things from the command prompt is the simplest way at first, then you can work your way into scripts, and then weave together things that were never imagined back then, like jumping into and out of BASIC is one example and one of my favorite.  Once you get it all customized it'll be as freaking easy to use as a PC. (My opinion)  @jedimatt42, with his Force Command and TIPI combo it's like a whole new, and better machine.  

PI.PIO - Blank?

All...

Maybe, I am just doing this wrong?  ?

I've tried to list an Extended BASIC program using the 

LIST "PI.PIO" command.

when I check the pdfs directory.  I find pdf files that are 3kb in length.  When I open the files they are blank.

I tried a simple:  

Open #1..., Print and Close program.  A 3kb pdf file was generated.  It was blank as well.

I've reviewed the wiki.  However, I know that I've used this in the past and it worked.