IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

Uh, yep, I cloned the source, but the installation script doesn't build it if the 'directory' is there, instead of checking for the executable. So I'll need to fix the update script... and build new base images. 

In the mean time, you can ssh into the PI as user tipi and run:

sudo /home/tipi/tipi/setup/printing_setup.sh

After that, your PI.PIO printing pleasantries should proceed to produce. No reboot required.

This will take a while on slower devices. There are some 80-ish 3rd party packages required that it will fetch and download, and then compile the epson converter. I will craft the update fix in a way that this will not repeat if you have done it already.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

I am aware. Just didn't perceive it as a priority.. more of a novelty feature to me. 

In diagnosing it just now, it looks like the conversion tool didn't compile during one of my image creations... hopefully just something I forgot to do/document

Actually being able to print to the TIPI is super useful when developing programs on the TI itself. I will definitely be using that feature quite a bit.

7 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Uh, yep, I cloned the source, but the installation script doesn't build it if the 'directory' is there, instead of checking for the executable. So I'll need to fix the update script... and build new base images. 

In the mean time, you can ssh into the PI as user tipi and run:

sudo /home/tipi/tipi/setup/printing_setup.sh

After that, your PI.PIO printing pleasantries should proceed to produce. No reboot required.

This will take a while on slower devices. There are some 80-ish 3rd party packages required that it will fetch and download, and then compile the epson converter. I will craft the update fix in a way that this will not repeat if you have done it already.

It worked.

It took a couple of times as I had an internet "brown out" in the middle of the first install.

It's still slow to print (probably the pi zero).  However, it works well!

Thanks!

If it is BASIC that you are messing with, you can open the source files in the TIPI browser UI. 

Or, you can use a properly named PC text file and just let the TIPI transform it to BASIC when loading. This takes discipline though, which can be remarkably hard in the face of 35 year old habits.

2 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

If it is BASIC that you are messing with, you can open the source files in the TIPI browser UI. 

Yeah, I've done that for small alterations here and there, but like you say, "old habits".  I prefer doing my programming on the TI for nostalgic reasons, but have also been known to use Classic 99 since it can share the same files over the network with TIPI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omega-TI said:

Yeah, I've done that for small alterations here and there, but like you say, "old habits".  I prefer doing my programming on the TI for nostalgic reasons, but have also been known to use Classic 99 since it can share the same files over the network with TIPI.

Did not think of doing that! Pretty nifty and saves the trouble of transferring the files to the TI subsequently.

1 hour ago, ElectricLab said:

Are you able to log in to myti99.com? If you're not, the scores won't be read or written.

I am able to log in, so that's not the issue. Also there is a problem with the chess program display. It just shows some lines but nothing else.

Can anyone else here try these 2 programs and report back? Perhaps it's local to me only...

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

I am able to log in, so that's not the issue. Also there is a problem with the chess program display. It just shows some lines but nothing else.

Can anyone else here try these 2 programs and report back? Perhaps it's local to me only...

I just logged in.  (Took me a while as I had to remember my password - Silver hair moment.

I tested the Chess program.  The screen looked OK.  

DG

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I saw very similar issue a while back, but it cleared up with a Tipi update, I think to 2.5.  Does not seem to be misbehaving for me now.   I had to reenter my password but I do get the top score list, and chess is not getting scrambled anymore for me. 

What version comes up in tipicfg?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Update ver 2.8 - 2020-10-05

- Fix name handling to strip trailing whitespace when translating to the local unix filename.

- Fix encoding type for native files, and suppressed encoding errors while counting lines when generated the CATALOG file.

- Fix PI.PIO epson to PDF converter installation check on upgrade

If you don't have the PI.PIO fix discussed a few weeks back, then this may look like a pretty slow upgrade.  If the print converter is already installed, it'll skip this work. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Update ver 2.8 - 2020-10-05

- Fix name handling to strip trailing whitespace when translating to the local unix filename.

- Fix encoding type for native files, and suppressed encoding errors while counting lines when generated the CATALOG file.

- Fix PI.PIO epson to PDF converter installation check on upgrade

If you don't have the PI.PIO fix discussed a few weeks back, then this may look like a pretty slow upgrade.  If the print converter is already installed, it'll skip this work. 

Referenced in the Force Command Thread...  But comments on the TIPI 2.8 update.

Force command is working better with this version update!  Still working through understanding the changes in both TIPI and Force Command 1.0.

BTW. I had already done the PI.PIO fix.  However, my TIPI update was still spinning at >8 hours.  I shut everything down and did another CALL TIPI and restarted the update.  It completed in < 5 minutes.  After rebooting the version is now 2.8. 

(It could have been my system configuration with the attached nanoPEB.  I pulled it off the chain before the final upgrade.)

26 minutes ago, dgrissom said:

Referenced in the Force Command Thread...  But comments on the TIPI 2.8 update.

Force command is working better with this version update!  Still working through understanding the changes in both TIPI and Force Command 1.0.

BTW. I had already done the PI.PIO fix.  However, my TIPI update was still spinning at >8 hours.  I shut everything down and did another CALL TIPI and restarted the update.  It completed in < 5 minutes.  After rebooting the version is now 2.8. 

(It could have been my system configuration with the attached nanoPEB.  I pulled it off the chain before the final upgrade.)

Thanks, I'll test on a PI Zero again sometime this week. The PrinterToPDF software looks like it has productized fixes for my custom changes, so I plan to switch us to his code. The pre-requisites are what take forever, cause it drags in a bunch of XWindows stuff. :(  So at least that should already be there. 

After that, I'll probably / plan to / build an updated SD Image, so those prerequisites are preinstalled. 

• Like 1

Yep, I wuz fixin' to use the 2.5 image and start over (after backing up my TIPI directories) when the update said done!.

I've tested the PI.PIO and its working fine.

Thanks again for your efforts in creating this great new hardware and software for our TI's!

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 8:44 AM, J-Data said:

I saw very similar issue a while back, but it cleared up with a Tipi update, I think to 2.5.  Does not seem to be misbehaving for me now.   I had to reenter my password but I do get the top score list, and chess is not getting scrambled anymore for me. 

Update 2.8 went without a hitch, but unfortunately I still have the same issues with Chess and Snek. Weird...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...