IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

Quick (silly?) question time:

I bought a new SD so that I can build an updated RPi SD without disrupting the current, working SD.  

Is v2.5 below the most recent full image?   (I assume .13 in post 1148 is meant to convey a higher version than .5)

image.thumb.png.325bd826bb490ac87c70336557f0f62d.png
Yes you install the 2.5 then upgrade to 2.13

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Yes you install the 2.5 then upgrade to 2.13

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Burned fresh image to SD and pressed FCTN-U to get the update for reasons described in this thread.

I also now have the same issue where the monitor is disabled at startup.

I took a video; here is a screenshot of the last line displayed before the monitor is disabled. 

image.png.cda3b2f76b3512aa456d2a737a6603fc.png

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Thanks. Burned fresh image to SD and pressed FCTN-U to get the update for reasons described in this thread.

I also now have the same issue where the monitor is disabled at startup.

I took a video; here is a screenshot of the last line displayed before the monitor is disabled. 

image.png.cda3b2f76b3512aa456d2a737a6603fc.png

Nothing stands out, but I'll have to go through the same steps again and see if it reproduces... 

• Like 1

Making a new full image requires a ton more time than releasing an update via git merge.

I start from fresh Raspberry PI OS, make sure everything 3rd party is updated, then run the part that is automated. Fix a little automation, and do some manual steps, including zeroing the sd card after imaging, before compressing... And then the expensive upload. 

And then when everyone unnecessarily downloads the new image, I get a higher AWS bill.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

Making a new full image requires a ton more time than releasing an update via git merge.

Appreciate the explanation.  The version numbering threw me a bit at first and there was no "Update" notice in TIPICFG, so I wanted to be sure I grabbed the right file.  I'm wondering if would be helpful to add a comment about the FCTN-U option and/or current revision info in the TIPI-PEB installation steps, somewhere after the wifi setup is complete. 

I like the extra and enhanced logging that is available during file IO operations. :)

• Like 2

My pi,(a 3b+, mounted in my PEB hasn't been rebooted in hmm .a month now I guess..im just saying, it's pretty solidly running smoothedly, errorlessly, tirelessly. IT ACTUALLY runs as good as my TI.

I did add an external power driven fan over the top of it, but yeah it needed the fan because it was rebooting on me a couple months ago.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 4:37 PM, InsaneMultitasker said:

Appreciate the explanation.  The version numbering threw me a bit at first and there was no "Update" notice in TIPICFG, so I wanted to be sure I grabbed the right file.  I'm wondering if would be helpful to add a comment about the FCTN-U option and/or current revision info in the TIPI-PEB installation steps, somewhere after the wifi setup is complete. 

I like the extra and enhanced logging that is available during file IO operations. :)

FCTN-U is a super abnormal thing, except that I've been lazy and keep forgetting that there is a version comparison issue with the TIPICFG on the current sd-image.. So once I make a new sd-image, I'm really the only person who should need the FCTN-U.. so I guess it's update the docs or update the image  :) LOL...

There are a couple other reasons to update the image for those PI Zero W users... 

And I'd like to figure out this screen issue... cause that'll be a configuration well outside the TIPI software domain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, GDMike said:

My pi,(a 3b+, mounted in my PEB hasn't been rebooted in hmm .a month now I guess..im just saying, it's pretty solidly running smoothedly, errorlessly, tirelessly. IT ACTUALLY runs as good as my TI.

I did add an external power driven fan over the top of it, but yeah it needed the fan because it was rebooting on me a couple months ago.

I don't run mine inside the PEB, and it is also very rarely rebooted... only if something compels me to change SD cards..

So I'd guess if heat was your issue, running inside the PEB produces heat... I always assumed airflow for cards is pretty poor in there...

• Like 1

Yup. Exactly. I have desktop running on the pi, and added the temp. Was hitting 105,107 most of the time, so added the fan. Brought it down to 98-101 .

I need to throw 12vdc on the fan, instead of 5. (The fan is a 5-12.. just haven't found a 12vdc ps yet) and I won't touch it again unless it's rebooting again.

And so far if it's staying under 100 it is liking it better.

Haha I just thought about this, but I had forgotten I ordered a couple of heat sinks for the pi, and I just haven't received them yet. So when I get those and I'll add one to see how well it does.

Edited by GDMike

Update 2.15 - 2020-12-24

- Fixed some name encoding issues with LVL2 IO

- Added PI.CONFIG option 'DIR_SORT' where the value can be MIXED, FIRST, or LAST.  default's to FIRST, which is a change in behavior from previous 'MIXED' 

This DIR_SORT option controls how files and directories are mixed in the CATALOG file that is returned. Apparently some original devices bringing directory support to the 4A world, produced the directories first before the files. Or was it the other way around... IDK... You get to choose how TIPI behaves... Listing directories first makes it more compatible with some assumptions made by legacy software on the Geneve, I am told. It also naturally changes the order for programs like DM2K, BASIC catalog code, and Force Command.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2020 at 6:13 PM, jedimatt42 said:

And I'd like to figure out this screen issue... cause that'll be a configuration well outside the TIPI software domain.

I don't think I can figure out the screen issue. I don't have the screen issue. I've tried a things to see if I can cause the screen issue... I assume there are probably a couple screen issues, and they are upstream - Raspberry PI OS issues... So If people want the screen issue fixed, you guys are going to have to dig deep into the raspberry-interweb-linuxiverse and offer me the solution to incorporate. Or maybe it will just go away with upstream fixes.

-M@

5 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Update 2.16 - 2020-12-27

- fix a bug with status on PI.STATUS file

- fix a bug in >17 set path operation ( shouldn't care what old path was, & TIPI device ( unit 0 ) shouldn't care about drive mappings )

Tested PI.STATUS status and set path with unit 0 -- both work well so far.  I did not test anything related to setpath units 1-4.  

• Like 2

On 12/29/2020 at 2:10 PM, jedimatt42 said:

I did finally get around to building a new SD-Card image, for TIPI 2.16. So it is there on my website to download when you need it. 

Uses latest Raspberry PI OS lite, plus latest Raspberry PI OS updates.

I am using a RPI3b+. 

But I am having issues. Not sure it is the SD card 8GB. Now tried  another card SanDisk 4Gb. Sometimes it just hangs in the TIPI interface and I am unable to get connected to WiFi  (eg. After a write config it hangs).

(My older image works all fine v10. 1.65)

I can try to overwrite on this SD card to see if the SD card is the issue, but I doubt it.

20210102_154038.thumb.jpg.958b477f65d50e81df0e2ea0558985f5.jpg

40 minutes ago, globeron said:

I am using a RPI3b+. 

But I am having issues. Not sure it is the SD card 8GB. Now tried  another card SanDisk 4Gb. Sometimes it just hangs in the TIPI interface and I am unable to get connected to WiFi  (eg. After a write config it hangs).

(My older image works all fine v10. 1.65)

I can try to overwrite on this SD card to see if the SD card is the issue, but I doubt it.

20210102_154038.thumb.jpg.958b477f65d50e81df0e2ea0558985f5.jpg

First I thought it was Under-voltage detected issue

Connected a screen and keyboard and saw that WiFi was blocked by rfkill.  This website has the solution to copy the wpa_supplicant file to the boot directory.

cd /etc/wpa_supplicant

sudo cp wpa_supplicant.conf /boot

20210102_161759.thumb.jpg.71163806f173d7ce22c2c628e87a0873.jpg

20210102_164248.thumb.jpg.896ceda8b1b041bc26379c9f58642990.jpg

After fix.

Note it complains about the apache HTTP server,

But  http://192.168.1.52:9900  works

And also mapping the network drive works in windows

\\192.168.1.52:9900    

20210102_164231.jpg

• Like 2

Going to throw this out there if anyone has a need.  The website frys.com if you do a search for Raspberry PI have them on clearance at $12.99 for a 3B+ with 1 MB ram.  After you add it to your cart, you will then have to search the stores to find which one has them in stock.  In the California stores, I found only one in stock.  I did not check the other national stores.

There was no description on the accessories like power supply, cables, fans, SD card, heatsinks, etc. that come with it, so it is likely it is a barebones device.

The newer Raspberry PI 4's with 8 GB's ram with all the cables, cards, fans, etc runs between $120 to $150 on Amazon.

Beery

1 hour ago, BeeryMiller said:

Going to throw this out there if anyone has a need.  The website frys.com if you do a search for Raspberry PI have them on clearance at $12.99 for a 3B+ with 1 MB ram.  After you add it to your cart, you will then have to search the stores to find which one has them in stock.  In the California stores, I found only one in stock.  I did not check the other national stores.

There was no description on the accessories like power supply, cables, fans, SD card, heatsinks, etc. that come with it, so it is likely it is a barebones device.

The newer Raspberry PI 4's with 8 GB's ram with all the cables, cards, fans, etc runs between $120 to $150 on Amazon.

Beery

I decided to drop by frys out of the blue last weekend as it's fairly close to me.  Their shelves were bare, only had 3 employees working the entire store.  The excuse they gave me is COVID has stopped them from getting product from China.  I know this is a management decision as if you go to Microcenter and other stores they are fully stocked.  I typically usually drive an extra 45 minutes to go to Microcenter as I get much better service.

I have never been impressed with frys employees or their technical expertise.  many times I have been told they never heard of a connector or something I was looking for and they do not carry it.  Only to find it a couple of isles over.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shift838 said:

I decided to drop by frys out of the blue last weekend as it's fairly close to me.  Their shelves were bare, only had 3 employees working the entire store.  The excuse they gave me is COVID has stopped them from getting product from China.  I know this is a management decision as if you go to Microcenter and other stores they are fully stocked.  I typically usually drive an extra 45 minutes to go to Microcenter as I get much better service.

I have never been impressed with frys employees or their technical expertise.  many times I have been told they never heard of a connector or something I was looking for and they do not carry it.  Only to find it a couple of isles over.

Wow, 5 years ago, the Frys there in the NASA area was my goto place with what seemed like 30 or more employees on duty at any point in time.  I assume that is the store you went too.  Hate to see things so limited.  I continue to check their website for weekly deals which for the last year or more, has not really had anything of interest to me.

Beery

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

Wow, 5 years ago, the Frys there in the NASA area was my goto place with what seemed like 30 or more employees on duty at any point in time.  I assume that is the store you went too.  Hate to see things so limited.  I continue to check their website for weekly deals which for the last year or more, has not really had anything of interest to me.

Beery

yup, that's the store I went to.  They even had 1/2 the store blocked off and moved what inventory they had to the part that's open and it was still bare as hell.

• Like 1

Frys has suffered the same fate as Radio Shack, there isn't much profit from real geek stuff so they expanded into general consumer goods and then laid off all the employees who knew anything because they cost too much. Now no real geek will shop there because none of the employees know anything. Same thing happened to Sears and who knows how many other stores.

• Like 1