IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

The 2.16 SD Card image was borked, in that I did not setup wifi on it before archiving it.

It isn't totally DOA. You can use wifi on it by using CALL TIPI, set the wifi SSID and PSK , write, then wait a while... it reboots the pi.. ... then

CALL TIPI("TIPI.NET.TELNET") login to localhost at port 23, and 

sudo cp /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf /boot/

sudo reboot now

wait a while, and then reset the 4A... if thing seem hung... wait a little while longer... 

Then CALL TIPI should show an IP address in the upper right, provided you entered everything correctly.

Or create the wpa_supplicant.conf correctly on the /boot partition of the sd-card before booting the PI with it. This is the official how to get yourself out of WiFi issues technique provided by Raspberry PI .org

But, I'm going to fix it, and produce a new image.

Edited by jedimatt42
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

The 2.16 SD Card image was borked, in that I did not setup wifi on it before archiving it.

It isn't totally DOA. You can use wifi on it by using CALL TIPI, set the wifi SSID and PSK , write, then wait a while... it reboots the pi.. ... then

CALL TIPI("TIPI.NET.TELNET") login to localhost at port 23, and 

sudo cp /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf /boot/

sudo reboot now

wait a while, and then reset the 4A... if thing seem hung... wait a little while longer... 

Then CALL TIPI should show an IP address in the upper right, provided you entered everything correctly.

Or create the wpa_supplicant.conf correctly on the /boot partition of the sd-card before booting the PI with it. This is the official how to get yourself out of WiFi issues technique provided by Raspberry PI .org

But, I'm going to fix it, and produce a new image.

Update 2.17 - fix wifi setup from TIPICFG a.k.a. CALL TIPI

( If you are setup, this offers you nothing significant ) Updated SD-Image available on my downloads site next time you need it. 

Updated INSTALL.md to remind me to check that wifi works when making an image. 

Fixed TipiSuper.py (processes certain changes to PI.CONFIG) to write the wpa_supplicant.conf to /boot/ instead of directly to /etc/wpa_supplicant/ as this allows the Raspberry PI OS to do all the other things it does when detecting that file on bootup.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Still can not get on WIFI? It hung for 3 hours and still no result.

Not surprised we have always had issues getting WIFI set up on devices here since we changed to 1Gig internet.

They moved the Modem upstairs and since then it has been a issue.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RXB said:

Still can not get on WIFI? It hung for 3 hours and still no result.

Not surprised we have always had issues getting WIFI set up on devices here since we changed to 1Gig internet.

They moved the Modem upstairs and since then it has been a issue.

They are likely overstocked on WiFi extenders...

Hi,

today I shutdown my TIPI/RPI the first time since last summer. After the restart I had no connection to the tipi. A CALL TIPI results in a "* SUBPROGRAM NOT FOUND".

The RPI is running and I have access to the shared SD-CARD, so the PC side / RPI side seems to be OK.

The config program of the Horizon 4000B doesn't list the TIPI card.

I had shutdown the RPI again and controlled the cabeling between the RPI and the TIPI-PEB card. --> cabeling are all OK!

I used another slot in the PEB with same result (no CALL TIPI)

Then I changed the TI-Console, put the Speech Synthesizer away and used a standard TI-XB cardridge. All with the same result.

I checked the DSR EPROM of the TIPI card, first time it shows an ERROR, reading a second time all was OK.

So I programmed a new EPROM but only with the same effect (no CALL TIPI)

It seems to me the TIPI DSR is not loaded, because the HRD config and the DU2K doesn't show the device on address >1000.

Could it help to use another RPI? Should the TIPI card load the DSR even the RPI has a problem to connect?

Otherwise I think I need a new TIPI-PEB card?!

If anyone still has an idea, I would appreciate it.

Wolfgang

Just now, Vorticon said:

So what exactly went wrong with your original TIPI-PEB? This would be the first time a failure has been reported as far as I know...

After the power down and restart a CALL TIPI results in "* SUBPROGRAM NOT FOUND"

I tried a lot of things, see post #1282, but without success.

OK, Thank You. So I need a new tipi-peb card. I just placed the order.

Wolfgang
I wouldn't go that far it could be a contact issue on your card or a failed solder joint. If you want to ship it to me I'll see if we can fix it. I have recently had another we repaired pretty easily. I know it's spendy either way shipping from eu. I can see if the guy that was building cards in eu can ship as well

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

I saw that, but was the failure pinpointed to a specific component on the board?

No nothing special, yesterday all went good and today I had to shotdown my PC and my two RPI's for a planned power outage in my office.

After Restarting the PC and my sidecar tippi work both as expected. My main tipi-peb system is working but doesn't access the usualy mapped tipi drive.

1 hour ago, wolhess said:

No nothing special, yesterday all went good and today I had to shotdown my PC and my two RPI's for a planned power outage in my office.

After Restarting the PC and my sidecar tippi work both as expected. My main tipi-peb system is working but doesn't access the usualy mapped tipi drive.

I wonder if it's worth trying to reflow the solder joints on the board...

2 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Yes, I can do it for the normal (not SMD) solder points. but there are SMD parts and this I can't solder. I would short anything!

I think the best is I send the card to arcadeshopper, to his address in USA or maybe to the address he has in the EU.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vorticon said:

They are likely overstocked on WiFi extenders...

Never needed one for my phones or any laptops or even my PC that has WIFI built into my X570 ASUS Motherboard.

I just think the WIFI built into Raspberry PI just SUCKS!

I owned a Chromebook for about 8 hours and took it back due to getting on WIFI required me to be 3 feet from the Modem????

We have a brand new 2 week old Modem from Xfinity and my PC gets 1 Gig internet with a 2.5 Gig network Motherboard.

I took the TIPI upstairs so so I was 20 feet from the Modem, guess what it would not connect, again PI WIFI just sucks!

4 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I saw that, but was the failure pinpointed to a specific component on the board?

Accessing the rom depends on the '138 address decoder working, address buffers working, the databus buffer working, and the CPLD working... oh, and the ROM working. 

2 hours ago, Vorticon said:

This is basically how I fixed Acadiel's board.  You can test if the CRU works, by using easy bug and setting bit 0, and seeing if the light turns on or not... If that is the case, then start with the '245. 

Edit, sorry, reading these posts in reverse order...  

Edited by jedimatt42
  • Like 3

On 1/11/2021 at 6:01 PM, Vorticon said:

Hi @Vorticon,

today I soldered the available solder joints on the back of the board and tried the card in the PEB. 

DU2K told me that the device on CRU >1000 is there again. So all should work.

Thank you for your recommendation!!!

image.thumb.png.bacb57048d4b65e44e087eae19d133f5.png

@jedimatt42

CALL TIPI works again too. I was on tipi v2.16 and it shows me there was an update.

I did the update but the screen was freesing with the message "starting update..."

After about three minutes I tried to quit tipicfg but no reaction of a keypress, so I reseted the console and it seems the update was done.

image.thumb.png.3105c6f81df0a2d7b2c1f66448c59cd7.png

I tried to run my Mega Menu program from the tipi and it works too, so all seems to be OK.

image.thumb.png.976afec6cd93d138f6295d6e1719f176.png

The last two day's I used my TI without the tipi card. 

I've started to set up my installation so that I can run some things from the ramdisk or from floppy.

Working with the TI without a tipi is many times slower. Especially when files have to be transferred from the PC to the floppy or ramdisk.

For me, the tipi card is the best extension currently available for the TI-99/4a!

Thanks a lot for this!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, wolhess said:

For me, the tipi card is the best extension currently available for the TI-99/4a!

Thanks a lot for this!

I wholeheartedly concur as it allows me to move files from whtech, atariage, or my BBS over to a directory on the TIPI by using TIDIR with minimal effort.  Things are a snap now versus what the route to move things around a couple years ago.

Beery

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok I have a brand new PC and how do I get files to my TI99/4A with TIPI PI 3 B  as I do not have a DISK DRIVE on my PC but can make SD cards?

I have a 128Gig SD card in TIPI PI 3 B so tons of space but how do I access and put it on that SD card to use in TI99/4A?

Or do I have to do a SHARE  on PC for the TIPI PI?

Searching for help on this is like looking for a needle in haystack.

How come no videos? Only video I can find was DELETED?

I have been reading Wiki for 3 hours and looking for answers some help please?

• Like 1