IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

14 minutes ago, RXB said:

Ok I have a brand new PC and how do I get files to my TI99/4A with TIPI PI 3 B  as I do not have a DISK DRIVE on my PC but can make SD cards?

I have a 128Gig SD card in TIPI PI 3 B so tons of space but how do I access and put it on that SD card to use in TI99/4A?

Or do I have to do a SHARE  on PC for the TIPI PI?

Searching for help on this is like looking for a needle in haystack.

How come no videos? Only video I can find was DELETED?

I have been reading Wiki for 3 hours and looking for answers some help please?

You sound like a TI n00b just like me.  You're going to have to read up.

Here's a clue tho - the TIPI will let you mount DSK images, and to do this you'll need to A) get the images on the TIPI and B) mount them as a virtual floppy.

Use the web interface to copy files to the TIPI, you can hit it at http://tipi:9900 if you've got things set up right.  See the wiki for more details.

To mount the DSK files, run CALL TIPI from extended basic (you'll need the cart, or a FGROM with the cart on it) and then you'll be able to set up your virtual floppies there.  It's complex, so you'll need to read up on that too, but basically the path to your floppy image is TIPI.YOURIMAGE or TIPI.YOURDIRECTORY.YOURIMAGE, etc.  That's the pathing scheme the TIPI uses.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Ok I have a brand new PC and how do I get files to my TI99/4A with TIPI PI 3 B  as I do not have a DISK DRIVE on my PC but can make SD cards?
I have a 128Gig SD card in TIPI PI 3 B so tons of space but how do I access and put it on that SD card to use in TI99/4A?

I just made a video for chicago that shows it..

And here is the playlist of tipi videos

Also this article I wrote
https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/the-ti-raspberry-pi-connection/

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Rich,

Not sure at what point you are starting from, so here goes.  If your TI system has a floppy drive, you can copy files from the floppy drive to the TIPI with a program like DM2K.  When I specify the TIPI with DM2K, I use the device name of DSK0.

Now, if you want to say move files from say Atariage to the TIPI, as mentioned earlier, you need to have an IP for your PI so that you can do what I would presume is a wireless connection from your PC to the TIPI.  The login name and pwd are both "tipi" with no quotes.  Once you have logged in, you will either be logged in at the TIPI root directory which is where you would drop your files, or up one level above that that would have two folders, "PDFS" and "TIPI".  The folder PDFS is where files go when you print to PI.PIO.  Click on TIPI to get into that folder.  If you are at the TIPI folder, you can create as many directories as you want, and populate each directory with as many files as you want.  Keep in mind there is a buffer limit for DM2K (~230 maybe) that it will see first.

At one of those two paths, I would map a drive letter to that folder on your PC. That will then allow you to use TIDIR to browse the TIPI.  One screen tag the files you want to move across to the TIPI.  Make sure you set the configuration option so that when you copy files, you drop the files to the TIPI in TIFILES format, and not V9T9 format.

I'm not sure if Matt has on his WIKI has the detailed information for the PI.CONFIG file on the sort order for files on the TIPI.  There are three options for the sort order in a config file.  If you don't like the default sort order, then ask and someone can answer.

• Thanks 1

Hmm Windows 10 does not see the PI on the network?

I think there are some steps you left out on how to see it? 

I set up a share on PC but then how do you get the PI to see the share?

How do you move them from Share to the PI and using tipi:9900/files how did you put anything there as the video never showed how any of them got there?

Also I have to use a Ethernet cable as the PI refuses to see log into WIFI even sitting next to Modem!

My network name was changed back by COMCAST to LeannBennett-2.4 so is the -2.4 the issue?

We can not get it to change to a new name as something is wrong at Comcast that refuses to fix issue!

make sure they're both on the same network. I recommend that you have both machines either on wifi or both on a cable.

Also you're going to have to force it by typing at the top of your browser or file manager:    \\tipi\

To prompt it for a login

Edited by GDMike
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, GDMike said:

make sure they're both on the same network if you have one on Wi-Fi and one on the cable going to a network you're not going to see it, 

Also you're going to have to force it by using at the top of your browser \\tipi\

To prompt it for a login

Ok figured out UPLOAD does move from PC to TIPI!

Video made it sound like everything was all on TIPI only already.

So how do you rename files on TIPI all you get is convert and DELETE on the current tipi:9900/files

• Like 1

Or use RXB 2015 file routines:

CALL RENAME files or programs on disk or hard drive or TIPI

CALL FCOPY files from one directory to another directory or disk or TIPI

CALL PROTECT files or unprotect files on disk or hard disk or TIPI

CALL MKDIR make directories on hard disk or rename disks or folders on TIPI

So keeping RXB 2015 around as I can write XB programs to do all this easy using TIPI

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RXB said:

Hmm Windows 10 does not see the PI on the network?

I think there are some steps you left out on how to see it? 

I set up a share on PC but then how do you get the PI to see the share?

How do you move them from Share to the PI and using tipi:9900/files how did you put anything there as the video never showed how any of them got there?

Also I have to use a Ethernet cable as the PI refuses to see log into WIFI even sitting next to Modem!

My network name was changed back by COMCAST to LeannBennett-2.4 so is the -2.4 the issue?

We can not get it to change to a new name as something is wrong at Comcast that refuses to fix issue!

I hope that I am not muddying the waters with my comments?  If I am just ignore them....

Lately, I've had problems with Windows losing my shares (My Tipi share has been the exception so far.) 

However, other Raspberry Pi shares will simply stop working (being recognized by Windows). 

BTW, I don't really know if it is Windows 10 or my router that is at fault. Since I swapped my NETGEAR router with an older Asus router I've noticed I've had fewer problems.

Also, turning on SMP 1.0 Client helps.  While it is a known security risk you still have to get through my firewall and know my passwords etc. ? 

With that said, I agree with GDMike that the best workaround is to map the Tipi share with its IP address.  (ie. \\192.168.X.X\Tipi ). 

The web interface "tipi:9900" has always worked, but IMO it is somewhat slower and more cumbersome to use.

Related to COMCAST.  Did they fail to provide you with administrator router credentials?   If not, and if it is a standard off the shelf router, you may be able to hard reset it and use the factory default passwords to set it up as you like?  However, I am not a COMCAST customer and really don't know how they set up systems.  If they restricted my network setup as you described.  I would never use them as a my provider.

1009148959_SMB1Clienton.jpg.a31ce26ca25ecbfe37001de6af1a5454.jpg

DG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RXB said:

Once your TIPI is on the network, just go to the Network folder in the file manager in Windows and type \\tipi in the search field. The TIPI folders will magically appear :) If you right-click on the TIPI folder, you can map it to drive letter and that way it will be easier to access.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vorticon said:

Once your TIPI is on the network, just go to the Network folder in the file manager in Windows and type \\tipi in the search field. The TIPI folders will magically appear :) If you right-click on the TIPI folder, you can map it to drive letter and that way it will be easier to access.

Thanks finally got it to work.

Copied bunch of files to TIPI but the TIPI locked up?

Will have to see if I have to start over again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RXB said:

Thanks finally got it to work.

Copied bunch of files to TIPI but the TIPI locked up?

Will have to see if I have to start over again.

There is a daemon that monitors all the stuff inside the tipi share and collects the TI filesystem meta-data so that the web-ui isn't having to open every file as it produces the page. 

This same daemon recognizes .DSK images and explodes them to directories matching the volume name, which creates more files... it subscribes to the filesystem change events... Anyway... 

If you dump a lot of files on at once, a bunch of work gets queued up.  This can 'block' 4A access to the PI while it is being processed. In my experience, it settles down without issue.

But, I probably never use the TIPI the same day that I've restored all the files, as this is usually only something I do when I'm done testing a fresh SD card image.

• Like 4

I've been using my TIpi just fine day after day, but today in TI basic I get an error while calling CALL TIPI.

Subprogram not found.

When I call the command I can see my SAMs card LED light up, but never the tipi.

I tried a second power supply for the pi and nothing changes, but I can get to my shared tipi drive from the laptop.

Any ideas?

Also, extended Basic reports memory as normal.

In basic I get the error, bad name.

Edited by GDMike

Ok, after an hour of swapping out computer and I was looking for a rs232 card to try my easybug program on, because I wasn't sure I was using easybug correctly, I started searching for my rs232 and if course it's no where to be found, but I did have another Peb interface card, so I thought to myself, let's reset that edge connector, Even though extended basic reports size correctly, and I thought this was a good way to test if the PEB was connected correctly so I didn't worry too much about the edge connector to the PEB at the time.

But after seeing the extra interface card in a drawer I said let me go and play with that interface to the computer so I pulled it out I pushed it in and I pulled it out and pushed it in I made sure it was flat by pushing down on the top of it downwards, and I turned everything back on I went back to TI basic and called tipi and it worked. Thank God my resolder of the board didn't screw nothing up but I'm pretty good at soldering so I'm not too worried about that. Dang I revived my tipi.

Shoot I'd be dead in the water if I didn't have that card

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Ok, after an hour of swapping out computer and I was looking for a rs232 card to try my easybug program on, because I wasn't sure I was using easybug correctly, I started searching for my rs232 and if course it's no where to be found, but I did have another Peb interface card, so I thought to myself, let's reset that edge connector, Even though extended basic reports size correctly, and I thought this was a good way to test if the PEB was connected correctly so I didn't worry too much about the edge connector to the PEB at the time.

But after seeing the extra interface card in a drawer I said let me go and play with that interface to the computer so I pulled it out I pushed it in and I pulled it out and pushed it in I made sure it was flat by pushing down on the top of it downwards, and I turned everything back on I went back to TI basic and called tipi and it worked. Thank God my resolder of the board didn't screw nothing up but I'm pretty good at soldering so I'm not too worried about that. Dang I revived my tipi.

Shoot I'd be dead in the water if I didn't have that card

Just dealt with a similar issue.  I pulled my SCSI card out to take pictures the other day, and then the next day, my HFDC was not recognized when cold booted, but would be recognized on a warm boot.  Turns out the HFDC was sitting perfectly in the slot.  As I was trying to rewrite the MDOS version for TIPI for the PFM, I thought I had somehow made the PFM unuseable.  Thankfully, it was just a poorly seated HFDC.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I wonder what it would cost to 3D print cases for cards that need them?  I think the TIPI and other cards are designed not to 'rock' in the case where others are quite susceptible to movement and shorting out. 

But the issue was in the side port adapter to the console for me, this time. I'm sure all these old connectors need rebuilds. Funny as I was troubleshooting, I said to myself, the side that listens, and I said, why don't I remove that speech cart. So even after that, my tipi still wasn't being seen. I had to plug unplug plug unplug and I did that like three times I felt like I was actually scraping dirt that's the feeling I was having, and it worked. 

Got a question to determine if this is possible.

I've got multiple TIPI's, which I will give names as TIPI1 and TIPI4 in this example.  Everything is wireless through the same router.

Is there a way TIPI1 can map to TIPI4 or to a folder on TIPI4?

Right now, I am saving things on TIPI4, using Windows to copy that file and then paste it to TIPI1.

• Like 2

Pretty good video to get Samba up thought that is not quite what I am wanting to do.  I'm anticipating on of two things he did not discuss.  I want to create a share on TIPI-1 that TIPI-4 can see, and vice versa if I am doing a catalog/directory on TIPI.  I would like to be able to use DM2K and CATALOG folder TIPI.TIPI4. on TIPI #1 to see files on TIPI #4.

Beery

1 hour ago, BeeryMiller said:

Got a question to determine if this is possible.

I've got multiple TIPI's, which I will give names as TIPI1 and TIPI4 in this example.  Everything is wireless through the same router.

Is there a way TIPI1 can map to TIPI4 or to a folder on TIPI4?

Right now, I am saving things on TIPI4, using Windows to copy that file and then paste it to TIPI1.

There are TOO many ways you can do this to prescribe one. So... I would use NFS. 

You could delete the /home/tipi/tipi_disk folder on the subordinate PIs. On the primary PI, you can create an NFS export for /home/tipi/tipi_disk, and then back on the subordinate PIs MOUNT the NFS share to /home/tipi/tipi_disk.

You could probably also just mount the existing SMB share from the primary on each of the subordinate PIs. 

Or, you could require that your PC be running when you use your TI, and mount a share from windows... 

You could also mount below /home/tipi/tipi_disk like in a 'COMMON' folder ( so TIPI.COMMON. becomes the distributed folder ) 

This isn't really a one-size-fits-all situation, but you have a full network friendly operating system in linux to enable this in dozens of different ways.

Maybe one of the fine network-admin types on this forum would like to write up a howto-guide for people that don't linux. 

I personally haven't found the need, as when I develop, if I want the binaries distributed to multiple PIs, I just script multiple SCP commands from my desktop as part of my build script, pushing to each PI. But I only have one system with a TIPI running now. 

I use NFS to share between desktop and emulated PI, and in that case the mount command on the PI looks something like:

mount -t nfs ${HOSTIP}:/tipi_disk /home/tipi/tipi_disk

This assumes the 'export' name from the NFS server is 'tipi_disk' and the address of that server is in HOSTIP variable ( that can be replaced with something literal )

I haven't ever tried to export NFS from linux myself... But the raspberry pi org has documentation: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/nfs.md

• Like 1