IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

Hi @jedimatt42,

today I tried to get access to the internet applications snek, Weather, Stuarts Internet Browser, chatti, Chess, Platoterm and tipi telnet.
I tested the access from my tipipeb (with EVPC2 80 column card) and from my V9929A  system with a sidecar tipi.

Both tipis are upgraded to v2.17.

For SNEK, CHATTI and CHESS I used URI1.progname, URI1 is configured to "URI1=http://myti99.com"

Here are the results:

- Snek program is running on both systems.

- Weather is running on both systems.
- Stuarts Internet Browser runs on both systems (chess application is working)

- chatti: On both systems I have the same issue, it shows a mysterious message from usr/lib/pystatus?
   and the search command doesn't show any user.

- chess is working only from stuarts internet browser. The program from http://myti99.com.chess shows some characters on the screen and a part of the version number.

I can press BLANK and "1" but all screens shows some black blocks and some numbers, but not the chess board.
  During the program is loading it had access more than 20 times to the tipi (tipi led = ON), before it shows the screen with the version #.

- Platoterm is working on the sidecar/V9929 tipi system. On the tipipeb/V9938 system it shows the first title screen and then blocks the TI.

This was the first test of these applications after I added the EVPC2/V9938 card in my tipipeb system a few weeks ago,
so maybe some of my issues are based on the EVPC2 card. Only CHESS and CHATTI show the same behavior on both systems.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong or I have to configure something different.

CHATTI:

image.thumb.png.9005d15b8e794f166b48ce1bab6bca18.png

image.thumb.png.568a990b69c2336970ce9543257593a9.png

image.thumb.png.3e3fa55e95cddaa4b241376b3235bfd6.png

CHESS

image.thumb.png.567d1f06ffa40a39933b6315db21d879.png

image.thumb.png.646fe868e8d2fa7aea70eb3fcd918fcd.png

Platoterm:
image.thumb.png.79da71df9a01919042d0ed40d411f072.png

And I tested Telnet from the tipipeb/V9938 system to my TBOX99 mailbox system on the sidecar/V9929 system in 32, 64 and 80 column.

In 40 column and in 64 column it is working on the tipipeb/V9938 system.
In 80 column mode it shows three times the upper part (about 10 lines) on different locations on the screen:
For this I selected 80 column in the TELNET program and 80 column in the Afterhour BBS program.

image.thumb.png.d5e685d6d82a605ed16baf8a8dcbede5.png

image.thumb.png.14b24332865776a342de4f207e1a3923.png image.thumb.png.b33b84272b93e8196aa72fa6624c0fb9.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolhess said:

Hi @jedimatt42,

today I tried to get access to the internet applications snek, Weather, Stuarts Internet Browser, chatti, Chess, Platoterm and tipi telnet.
I tested the access from my tipipeb (with EVPC2 80 column card) and from my V9929A  system with a sidecar tipi.

Both tipis are upgraded to v2.17.

For SNEK, CHATTI and CHESS I used URI1.progname, URI1 is configured to "URI1=http://myti99.com"

Here are the results:

- Snek program is running on both systems.

- Weather is running on both systems.
- Stuarts Internet Browser runs on both systems (chess application is working)

- chatti: On both systems I have the same issue, it shows a mysterious message from usr/lib/pystatus?
   and the search command doesn't show any user.

- chess is working only from stuarts internet browser. The program from http://myti99.com.chess shows some characters on the screen and a part of the version number.

I can press BLANK and "1" but all screens shows some black blocks and some numbers, but not the chess board.
  During the program is loading it had access more than 20 times to the tipi (tipi led = ON), before it shows the screen with the version #.

- Platoterm is working on the sidecar/V9929 tipi system. On the tipipeb/V9938 system it shows the first title screen and then blocks the TI.

This was the first test of these applications after I added the EVPC2/V9938 card in my tipipeb system a few weeks ago,
so maybe some of my issues are based on the EVPC2 card. Only CHESS and CHATTI show the same behavior on both system

CHESS and CHATTI are probably leftover breakage from the python3 conversion. SNEK was reported, and I was able to fix it. I don't have access to the server or client code, just the TIPI piece in the middle. I will try and fix it this week. I don't run any of these programs unless someone reports an issue. The black blocks might be an error in the way EA5 CHESS loads the character set over the internet.

Platoterm, my guess would be that it suffers from the same alternative VDP interrupt issue that Force Command demonstrated. In force command I fixed it by giving up a feature. 

My TELNET client is poorly labelled... it shouldn't say "80 column", it should say "F18A Full Color 80 column". That mode will not work on the 9938. I have no intention of fixing it to do so. I have some intention of re-writing a new telnet based on Force Command, where I've already abstracted the terminal display out. But this is lower priority than my current project.

Edited by jedimatt42
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Chess and chatti worked fine until just recently so maybe something in your last release or so or he changed something on his server I've let him know as well

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Maybe something changed in a 3rd party dependency...

• Like 1

I noticed that my TiPi is v1.50 for the Piversion.  How long does it take to update it via the TIPICFG typically?

It's been running for about 30 minutes already.  The TIPI LED is just flashing...
A very long time depending on your internet speed and how many files are in your tipi folder. An hour minimum.

The latest version is advisable to be installed in the card to save time and failure possibility due to the internet dropping something in the long process of updating the pi.

You can ssh into the pi and watch the update in /var/log/daemon.log to see if it is still working or stopped

Update time depends on soooo many factors... I'd recommend going back to the IDE controller, and selling the TIPI on ebay. (just kidding)

Going from 1.x to 2.x worked from one user, after they let it go overnight... but depending on what base-os your 1.x was still on, it might not ever make it to 2.x.. So just start over with the latest SD card image.  

Everyone - when you've let it go that long... just start over with the latest SD card image. Clearly there is nothing on the old image you would care about.

(of course, I guess I'm talking to the people that don't follow this thread)

Edited by jedimatt42
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Update time depends on soooo many factors... I'd recommend going back to the IDE controller, and selling the TIPI on ebay. (just kidding)

Going from 1.x to 2.x worked from one user, after they let it go overnight... but depending on what base-os your 1.x was still on, it might not ever make it to 2.x.. So just start over with the latest SD card image.  

Everyone - when you've let it go that long... just start over with the latest SD card image. Clearly there is nothing on the old image you would care about.

(of course, I guess I'm talking to the people that don't follow this thread)

That's what I did.  I started with the latest SD image, downloaded the DSR from JediMatt's site and burned it to a new EPROM.

the CPLD file on your site is the latest from 2019?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shift838 said:

That's what I did.  I started with the latest SD image, downloaded the DSR from JediMatt's site and burned it to a new EPROM.

the CPLD file on your site is the latest from 2019?

There was only ever one CPLD update/download made available. I think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

Nope other than the old screen capture trick with load interrupt

Too bad. All the classic telecom programs have a print spooling facility and it would have been so nifty to have that under telnet to capture screen info when BBSing. 

TIPI's TELNET is a proof of concept/example program so people can see what is possible with the TIPI TCP support... And a PI fixing tool in the event of desperation.

I don't BBS, so it isn't ever going to be a priority for me. But the source is available in the examples section of the github repo.

I've heard Beery has TCP enabled some other term program. Maybe it is more feature rich.

TIPI's TELNET is a proof of concept/example program so people can see what is possible with the TIPI TCP support... And a PI fixing tool in the event of desperation.

I don't BBS, so it isn't ever going to be a priority for me. But the source is available in the examples section of the github repo.

I've heard Beery has TCP enabled some other term program. Maybe it is more feature rich.

It can print but it's 40 column and no ansi

1 hour ago, jedimatt42 said:

The 40 column version of MXT I was working from did not support ANSI.  I believe it has log capture, but can't confirm with certainty as it has been over a year since I updated the program or looked at its features.   MyTerm for the TIPI/Geneve setup does not have any logging capability as I disabled it due to ANSI as I have absolutely no idea how some of the log files would have even looked.  I think @InsaneMultitasker had logging capability in PORT, but again, I do not know how that would look either on a printout with ANSI.

Beery