IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

• 2 weeks later...

I no longer own a Geneve, so I cannot provide Geneve specific support for TIPI or TIPI software going forward. Problems should be reproduced on a TI-99/4A before I will comment or assist. You all, the Geneve community members, are of course free to support the Geneve with more verve than I.

• Like 1

TIPI Update 2.23 - Fix PI-4 support

Updates libraries and dependencies. Slow update ( lots of 3rd party upgrades ) - feels like it took more than 30 minutes to apply.

Primary purpose is to update the RPi.GPIO python library to recognize PI 4 models. Otherwise, tipiwatchdog.service crashes. This is the service responsible for resetting tipi.service whenever console powerup routines are called.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

TIPI Update 2.23 - Fix PI-4 support

Updates libraries and dependencies. Slow update ( lots of 3rd party upgrades ) - feels like it took more than 30 minutes to apply.

Primary purpose is to update the RPi.GPIO python library to recognize PI 4 models. Otherwise, tipiwatchdog.service crashes. This is the service responsible for resetting tipi.service whenever console powerup routines are called.

thanks Matt!

Random power outage in the middle of trying to update ?️?. So when power got back on, TI froze upon selecting TI XB from finalgrom99 and would not let me in. Went in to TI basic, tried Call TIPI, did not work.

Shut down TI, plugged in my keyboard and monitor to Pi, logged in, ran ~/tipi/setup.sh ... Said it needed to finish getting a few mb of files, let it go and do its thing... Came back to check a few minutes later, it was asking me what to do about some pre-existing write-protected file (Python crypto something-or-other) it wanted to overwrite; I answered "Y", (which i think should answer 'yes' to any following prompts too?). It finally finished, shut everything down, now CALL TIPI is showing 2.23, just hope i have not borked anything. Loaded some XB games over TIPI, all looks good, proper memory SIZE results etc.

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

Random power outage in the middle of trying to update ?️?. So when power got back on, TI froze upon selecting TI XB from finalgrom99 and would not let me in. Went in to TI basic, tried Call TIPI, did not work.

Shut down TI, plugged in my keyboard and monitor to Pi, logged in, ran ~/tipi/setup.sh ... Said it needed to finish getting a few mb of files, let it go and do its thing... Came back to check a few minutes later, it was asking me what to do about some pre-existing write-protected file (Python crypto something-or-other) it wanted to overwrite; I answered "Y", (which i think should answer 'yes' to any following prompts too?). It finally finished, shut everything down, now CALL TIPI is showing 2.23, just hope i have not borked anything. Loaded some XB games over TIPI, all looks good, proper memory SIZE results etc.

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/Troubleshooting

• Like 1

Three of my 4 PI's are updated to 2.23 with the quickest one taking about 34 minutes.  The last one is over 2.5 hours.  Going to leave it running overnight, then may need to troubleshoot if it is stuck and follow the troubleshooting guide above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIm Htown said:

Hi all,

apologies if this was answered previously...

Can you use a TIPI with an IDE controller on a TI-99/4A and are there any potential issues in doing so?

There are no issues, just do not assign them to the same CRU address.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyway to Map TIPI drives to DSK2/3 while having the real iron disk controller be DSK1?  Some legacy programs can't seem to go beyond DSK3 and the disk controller seems to take over for DSK2/3 even if it only has a DSK1 which makes it hard to use both on programs with this limitation.  I think the answer is no.   I did try mapping the CRU address of the TIPI after the disk controller and it didn't seem to help. 

22 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Yes just don't map dsk1

Yup, that worked.  Although I'm seeing an odd behaviour where every time I go into Force command, the TIPI reloads DSK1 with the last path I had loaded, even if I have auto turned off.  Strange. 

Yup, that worked.  Although I'm seeing an odd behaviour where every time I go into Force command, the TIPI reloads DSK1 with the last path I had loaded, even if I have auto turned off.  Strange. 
Hmm I'll see if I can reproduce

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, J-Data said:

Is there a TIPIMAP command in your AUTOEXEC ? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having difficulty getting a game to run from a TIPI directory. It's the newly released Hibernated re-written Infocom game. The LOAD program loads fine from the TIPI directory, but when it comes to launching the game proper from the menu, it keeps insisting on loading from the physical DSK1 even though I have DSK1 pointing to the TIPI game directory and AUTO is on.

Here's the LOAD program listing, and the problem seems to lie in line 1000. Changing DSK1 to anything else including the named TIPI directory hangs the computer. Any insight on this by any chance? (I cannot post the disk image itself unfortunately because this is a commercial release).

100 !@S.Gary 2 North Dr.#216  Scarboro Ont.Canada M1N 1Z2
110 !**********************
120 !*                    *
130 !*    Generated By    *
140 !*    SysTex  V1.0    *
150 !*      (C) 1985      *
160 !*   By Barry Boone   *
170 !*                    *
180 !**********************
190 CALL INIT :: CALL LOAD(8196,254,0)
200 CALL LINK("SLOAD")
210 K,S=0 :: A$="" :: CALL PEEK(-31879,I) :: RANDOMIZE I
220 CALL CLEAR :: CALL SCREEN(5) :: CALL LINK("CHAR") :: CALL CHAR(48,"78848C94A4C48478") :: FOR I=0 TO 14 :: CALL COLOR(I,16,1) :: NEXT I
230 DISPLAY AT(1,1)ERASE ALL:"€‚    PUDDLE SOFT IF    €‚ƒ„…                      ƒ„…†‡ˆ                      †‡ˆ"
240 DISPLAY AT(6,3):"PRESS": :"    8) START GAME 80 COLUMNS": :"    0) EXIT"
250 CALL KEY(0,K,S) :: K=K-48 :: IF S=0 THEN 250 ELSE IF NOT(K=1 OR K=8 OR K=0)THEN CALL SOUND(60,218,0) :: GOTO 250
255 IF K=8 THEN K=3 ELSE K=K+1
260 CALL SOUND(60,1397,4) :: ON K GOTO 290,270,280
270 DISPLAY AT(6,1):"" :: DISPLAY AT(10,1):"": :"" :: CALL EXEC("TERP-I")
280 DISPLAY AT(6,1):"": :"" :: DISPLAY AT(12,1):"" :: CALL EXEC("INF-F18A")
290 CALL CLEAR :: END
1000 SUB EXEC(A$) :: CALL LINK("LOAD","DSK1."&A$) :: SUBEND

These xb embedded EA5 loaders of old used sector io, which TIPI does not do. This never made sense as there is the much easier direct block read operation they could have used without having to decode the directory structure themselves.

Usually you can just skip the xb LOAD program and load the EA5 with any other EA5 loaders. Or use the XB scratchpad loader to replace the SysTex loader... 

CALL TIPI("DSK1.INF-F18A") will probably just work. 

Edited by jedimatt42
  • Like 2

I've noticed that rag assembler for me starts but locks when loading from tipi.

RagasM and RagasN are the two files.

I thought I might have a corrupted file so I found other copies unless those are all corrupted too.. ?

But it's fine because it would take me almost 10 mins to assemble these files, so I just use classic 99. 

Edited by GDMike

3 hours ago, GDMike said:

I've noticed that rag assembler for me starts but locks when loading from tipi.

RagasM and RagasN are the two files.

I thought I might have a corrupted file so I found other copies unless those are all corrupted too.. ?

But it's fine because it would take me almost 10 mins to assemble these files, so I just use classic 99. 

If you can point we at this software I can see what it is doing.. I know I've tested TI's Editor Assembler, but I do all my assembly with xdt99... So I've never tried the RAG stuff.

• Like 2