IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

Here's the program I'm trying to run. I wrote it in 1984. The Italian TI-99 user group posted it recently with screen captures showing it running successfully.

I've mapped DSK1 to TOOLS.WS, where I copied the folder containing the files, so the calls to DSK1 in the program will be able to find the other files needed to run it. (At least I believe this is the correct thing to do.) But it always crashes on line 220.

WS.zip

1 hour ago, RykGroff said:

Here's the program I'm trying to run. I wrote it in 1984. The Italian TI-99 user group posted it recently with screen captures showing it running successfully.

I've mapped DSK1 to TOOLS.WS, where I copied the folder containing the files, so the calls to DSK1 in the program will be able to find the other files needed to run it. (At least I believe this is the correct thing to do.) But it always crashes on line 220.

WS.zip 24.84 kB · 3 downloads

I'll help if I can.  Which probably very little  ?

I am testing it.  It runs fine on Classic99.  (BTW, Nice looking program.)

Fails using my TIPI on my console.  I've mapped the WS directory to DSK1.  (DEV.WS)  - Tried with AUTO=ON & AUTO=OFF

Fails with screen:

WordSmith 1.3      BOOTING

* FILE ERROR IN 220

Line:

220 CALL INIT :: CALL LOAD(-

31878,0):: CALL LOAD(-31806,

16):: CALL LOAD("DSK1.LD")::

OPEN #1:"DSK1.DE",INPUT , VA

RIABLE 254

(Hope no typos on my part.)

For fun I tested with TI EXTENDED BASIC Cart as well as FG99 images.  Also tried loading it with Force Command.

Always errors out.?... with a TIPI directory.

I copied the files to a NanoPEB volume through by TIPI with Force Command.

The program RUNS.

Contents of "LOAD"

100 !LOAD1.3/10.17.84
110 ON BREAK NEXT :: CALL KEY(0,K,S) :: IF S THEN RUN "DSK1.CN"
120 ON ERROR 130 :: OPEN #1:"DSK1.CF",INPUT ,INTERNAL,FIXED 40 :: INPUT #1:P$,C,D :: CLOSE #1 :: GOTO 140
130 C=16 :: D=5
140 CALL CLEAR :: CALL SCREEN(D) :: FOR I=0 TO 14 :: CALL COLOR(I,C,1) :: NEXT I :: !CALL COLOR(13,16,1,14,16,1)
150 CALL CHAR(123,"C3C3C3C3DBFF6624",124,"7EFFC17C3E83FF7E",125,"3E08080808",126,"88D8A88888")
160 CALL CHAR(127,"FF",128,"0102040913274F9F",129,"4F271309040201",130,"0080402090C8E4F2",131,"E4C89020408",132,"3C30303C30303C")
170 CALL CHAR(133,"C3E7E7BBBB9393",134,"7C66666C786C66",135,"181C2C267E4343",136,"3030303030303C",137,"7C66636363667C",138,"18245A525A2418")
180 DISPLAY AT(1,1)ERASE ALL :"„…„†‡ˆ‰":"GRAPHIC":"SYSTEMS"&RPT$(" ",18)&"€‚":RPT$("",25)&"ƒ"
190 DISPLAY AT(8,1):"{ORD|MITH}~": : :"Word Processing":"for the TI-99/4A": : : : :"by Ryk Groff": : :"1984 Emerald Graphic Systems"
200 CALL HCHAR(20,2,138) :: DISPLAY AT(24,1):"WordSmith 1.3        LOADING" :: CALL INIT :: CALL LOAD("DSK1.CG")
210 DISPLAY AT(24,1)ERASE ALL :"WordSmith 1.3        BOOTING" :: CALL LINK("CHAR40")
220 CALL INIT :: CALL LOAD(-31878,0) :: CALL LOAD(-31806,16) :: CALL LOAD("DSK1.LD") :: OPEN #1:"DSK1.DE",INPUT ,VARIABLE 254
230 FOR I=1 TO 33 :: LINPUT #1:Q$ :: CALL LINK("LOAD",Q$) :: NEXT I :: CLOSE #1
240 CALL LOAD(9778,2,6,27,180,2,5,0,128,4,96,40,142) :: RUN "DSK1.WS"

The "DE" file is a 34 sector Display/Variable 254

Edited by dgrissom

17 minutes ago, dgrissom said:

I am testing it.  It runs fine on Classic99.  (BTW, Nice looking program.)

Yes! Works for me in Classic99 as well. I thought it would be very cool to see it run on a real TI again. That's what led me to buy one, add a FinalGROM, and then the TIPI/32k. And thanks for the prop! I designed the font used throughout. I think that's primarily what makes it look good.

Now if I could only figure out this problem.

Thank you for giving it a whirl!

5 minutes ago, RykGroff said:

Yes! Works for me in Classic99 as well. I thought it would be very cool to see it run on a real TI again. That's what led me to buy one, add a FinalGROM, and then the TIPI/32k. And thanks for the prop! I designed the font used throughout. I think that's primarily what makes it look good.

Now if I could only figure out this problem.

Thank you for giving it a whirl!

It could be a bug or some sort of memory conflict.  See the list below for know incompatible programs.

(While there are not many.  You program does seem to push the envelop a bit.  ?

The fact that it will run on my NanoPEB through my TIPI/32K seems to say...  Hell, I'd rather let Jedimatt42 answer.

Stuff to look at:

Known incompatible software · jedimatt42/tipi Wiki · GitHub

also:

Troubleshooting · jedimatt42/tipi Wiki · GitHub

4 minutes ago, dgrissom said:

I'm going to take a look at the logs in the morning. I'm sure there must be something that can be done. Still gotta say that I'm blown away by the TIPI. It's genius! But for now I'm taking a break! Thank you, dgrissom!!!

3 minutes ago, RykGroff said:

I'm going to take a look at the logs in the morning. I'm sure there must be something that can be done. Still gotta say that I'm blown away by the TIPI. It's genius! But for now I'm taking a break! Thank you, dgrissom!!!

Yeah,  some of this stuff for our venerable TI borders on science fiction.

Matt always help folks like me figure it out.

Join the Zoom Meetings on the weekend and meet some of the true wizards of the TI 99/4a world.  As a user, I always get a lot of information and help out of these guys!

@RykGroff, I see the same error on my 4A/TIPI system. 

The last thing I see in the /var/log/tipi/tipi.log is it reads records 0-5 of TOOLS/WS/LD, which appears to be an assembly object file.   DE appears to be assembly code as well. the Display Enhancement package from Oak Tree Systems. LD has a 'LOAD' function it defines that it passes a record for DE to... The machinations that things went through is amazing... 

I don't see the TIPI even trying to access the DE file...   So... It's not something you are doing with your TIPI setup that is wrong... Maybe if I look at the debug log on Classic99 it'll shine a light on things... 

If I type in a subset of that loader code, starting with CALL INIT::CALL LOAD("DSK1.LD") ... I can get the program to start up and execute... was able to 'READ' DEMO from Disk 1... :)

But, I skipped the title screen and font and booting screen... Probably loading the font would work... 

Since it never tries to read the DSK1.DE file, it seems more like something subtle...  I don't know what the various CALL LOADs that poke memory do... 

3 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

So, I don't know why it never even asks the TIPI for DSK1.DE... but... if you just run the DSK1.LOAD ( like when XB auto starts it.. ) and when it fails on line 220... if you just type in RUN 220 it resumes and works.  

I don't know if this helps?  But.... Taking what you described above,  I split the LOAD program. 

• Line 220 in the "LOAD" is replaced with RUN "DSK1.LOADER"
  • Rest of the lines after were deleted. 
  • "LOADER" is just lines 220 - 240.

(I had already mapped DSK1. to the TIPI's WS directory with a CALL TIPI.)

It runs and will "READ" the "DEMO".  Everything seems to work.  I did see what appeared to be a error on opening DEMO flash by during the READ.  However, it loads and the program seems to work (best I can tell).

It will run from a Force Command prompt.  However, after the first beep, I get a continuous sound tone.  Again, other than everything seems to work.

It runs best from a FinalGrom99 Extended BASIC or actual TI Extended BASIC Cart.

Zip with modified files attached.

DG

WSModified.zip

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

The last thing I see in the /var/log/tipi/tipi.log is it reads records 0-5 of TOOLS/WS/LD, which appears to be an assembly object file.   DE appears to be assembly code as well. the Display Enhancement package from Oak Tree Systems. LD has a 'LOAD' function it defines that it passes a record for DE to... The machinations that things went through is amazing... 

I remember that it took several months to get the first version working smoothly. I don't even understand a lot of the coding now.

Thank you so much for looking into this, Matt!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dgrissom said:

It runs best from a FinalGrom99 Extended BASIC or actual TI Extended BASIC Cart.

Yup! That's what I'm using. Thanks for tweaking this! You're amazing! For the first time since 1985 I'm able to see my program work again!

I'll definitely check out the Zoom meetings. I'm really getting a kick out of using the TI again after all these years.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Keneg said:

I got my TIPI working with a RP0-2W today.  When I tried it last week, I thought I had messed up when soldering the pin header.  Found that I just had to use a newer image on another SD card.  Is there a way to update the old card for use with the RP0-2W?

Yes and no. For you, No or it would have just worked. :)

Fairly recent raspberry PI OS base already supported the Raspberry PI Zero 2W, as it uses the same MCU as a normal PI 3. 

You could probably have run apt update and apt upgrade on a different PI model first, and then it would have just slotted into the Zero 2W. At least that was my experience.

Migrating to a fresh SD card is just - backup the stuff in your TIPI samba share, flash new image, set network, and restore your TIPI share files... 

Everyone should practice that, cause I can't support upgrade from our current buster based image to the latest Raspberry PI OS based on debian bullseye. (Meaning, the next TIPI update will require a fresh image)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Keneg said:

Thanks for the answer.  I did backup a of the files to my pc using //tipi and then copied them back to the new card once I had the PI0-2W working.  Has anyone tested speed difference between the original zero and this one?

The 4A is a slow computer. There is no speed difference between a PI Zero W and a PI 4. Both ends of the spectrum spend most of their time idle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having problems copying files from IDE to TIPI - The TIPI was just installed.

I can do call tipi - and it looks good, allows me to update my wireless configuration settings.

image.thumb.png.464b1b687bea112c6fbd12d918577bbf.png

So that all looks good to me, but when I go to copy a file from IDE to tipi I get:

image.thumb.png.22906ae0b2b2ad643eb06119477925ce.png

DM2K

Err00: Opendsr

Any hints on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Having problems copying files from IDE to TIPI - The TIPI was just installed.
I can do call tipi - and it looks good, allows me to update my wireless configuration settings.

image.thumb.png.464b1b687bea112c6fbd12d918577bbf.png

So that all looks good to me, but when I go to copy a file from IDE to tipi I get:
image.thumb.png.22906ae0b2b2ad643eb06119477925ce.png

DM2K
Err00: Opendsr

Any hints on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.
Use DSK0 not TIPI dm2k isn't tipi aware for device routines

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that Force Command works with no issues.
correct! Since Matt is the author of both devices, part of the reason he made force command was in response to the fact that most other disk managers can't handle disk devices based on the TI standards they all are looking for DSKx

This is common with most larger drives including the horizon RAM disk which means it's own custom dm to copy files to it..

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk