IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

1 hour ago, Fonzie said:

Success! I finally got TIPI back to running the way it used to for me. PDF’s are no longer blank; I can actually read them

So, what you described as 'the way it used to' including the detail that the web-ui has never worked merits diagnosis in case there is a problem that other users may also run into.

It is on 'http' so if you have a browser plugin forcing https that could be a problem. It is port 9900. And for a lot of home routers, local DNS is 'weird', so if you use the ip address reported by TIPICFG (CALL TIPI command from BASIC) then that might work... If not, I would like to get a peek at the /var/log/daemon.log on the PI.

• Like 1

Today was the first time I did access the web-ui. I did notice that you can shut down the rpi from there. Had I connected here before it might have saved me from all of the re-installation fiasco. You see previously I always went to basic called tipi and pressed H to halt the rpi. But the console screwed up and I wasn't able to get basic going again to properly shut down the rpi. So, I just unplugged it without halting it first. Anyway, the next time I booted I had trouble getting tipi to run and when I did get it running the blank PDFs showed up. I thought I had compromised the sd, and well you know the rest.

Anyway, I opened the tipi log and copied it to a Word file. It is 7 pages long did you want me to try to attach it here in this forum? It's all Greek to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say how much I love the tipi...

I'm trying to track down some boot issues, even with the Geneve off, I was able to pull a couple of files with a click, type bash in win10, and do a diff and strings on each file to find the difference.

Yep.. tipi's are a wonderful gift.

dhe@DESKTOP-TTA01OD:/mnt/d/ti/geneve/scsisys$ strings scs6.sys | grep SCS
SCS6/SYS
No FDR table found&Cannot locate SYSTEM/SYS file on SCS6.
Cannot locate SCSI controller
             SCSI/SYS
  Loading SYSTEM/SYS from SCS6 ...
dhe@DESKTOP-TTA01OD:/mnt/d/ti/geneve/scsisys$ strings scsi.sys | grep SCS
SCSI/SYS
No FDR table found&Cannot locate SYSTEM/SYS file on SCS1.
Cannot locate SCSI controller
             SCSI/SYS
  Loading SYSTEM/SYS from SCSI ...
dhe@DESKTOP-TTA01OD:/mnt/d/ti/geneve/scsisys$

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

TIPI update 2.30

Added PI.LOG file for writing trace data from 4A to /var/log/tipi/tipi.log 

Added Extension-LOG for doing the same, but with the lower overhead of a TIPI message.

Updated PI.CONFIG with new option: EAGER_WRITE=on

EAGER_WRITE=on causes OPEN, and WRITE operations on record based file handling to save changes to the TIFILES FIAD immediately instead of the normal TIPI behavior of waiting until CLOSE. I like lazy write, but there have been 2 or 3 occurrences where this difference has created incompatibility or confusion. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Is this ever a bad way to do the upgrade on either a TI or a Geneve?

Q: If TIPICFG upgrade fails, what should I do?

A: SSH into the PI from a PC (use Putty, or an SSH client you are familiar with). Login as the user 'tipi'. Then execute the following:

cd /home/tipi/tipi/setup
sudo ./upgrade.sh --upgrade

It will prompt again for the tipi user password. Watch what happens, if it errors, feel free to PM me on atariage.com, I am Jedimatt42. Preferrably, have a copy of the information from the failing screen.

38 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

My TIPI has been refusing to upgrade to 2.3. It will just hang during the upgrade. Any cure for that? I tried rebooting as well as shutting down the tipi with similar results.

Assuming you meant 2.30 (not a number, but a set of numbers), if while it hangs you can fetch via ssh the /var/log/daemon.log, there may be a clue in there .. 

@dhe, it's the same code that is triggered by pressing U in TIPICFG.

- Output just goes to the terminal instead of the daemon.log.

- doesn't exercise TIPICFG detecting when the update is complete. 

- undermines my mission to keep it easy and have the user never need to log into the PI.

You can just use the regular mechanism, but ssh in and tail -F /var/log/daemon.log 

2 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Assuming you meant 2.30 (not a number, but a set of numbers), if while it hangs you can fetch via ssh the /var/log/daemon.log, there may be a clue in there .. 

Unfortunately, while I can still access the TIPI as a Windows share, It's refusing connection via ssh directly.

Something is up, and I have a feeling there is an SD card re-image in my near future... Thankfully I had recently backed up the TIPI drive, so not all is lost.

Also, I was thinking it would be really kewl, if you could add the ability to update your tipi drive from repos.

So like apt install a2ps, something like tipi install dm2k - then it would fetch the latest version of dm2k and install it in a directory on the tipi drive!

57 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Unfortunately, while I can still access the TIPI as a Windows share, It's refusing connection via ssh directly.

Something is up, and I have a feeling there is an SD card re-image in my near future... Thankfully I had recently backed up the TIPI drive, so not all is lost.

if the webui is still accessible, you might be able to get the logs from it... but YEP, the re-image hammer sounds applicable.

Also, I was thinking it would be really kewl, if you could add the ability to update your tipi drive from repos.
So like apt install a2ps, something like tipi install dm2k - then it would fetch the latest version of dm2k and install it in a directory on the tipi drive!
Go ahead nobody's stopping you

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

I run gpl and rompage then call TIPI and hit u

Just thought I would check before I leaped.

Visiting Matt's github site, I didn't see the Geneve particularly called out.

I then re-re-read the GeneveOS 7.3 docs, while there are about 7 commands for interacting with the TIPI, nothing was specifically called out for updating the TIPI in the Geneve environment.

Thanks!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

if the webui is still accessible, you might be able to get the logs from it... but YEP, the re-image hammer sounds applicable.

I bit the bullet and re-imaged the SD card which solved the problem. My TIPI seems more susceptible to corruption than others for some reason, likely some power issue. I think I'm going to invest in a small UPS just for it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I bit the bullet and re-imaged the SD card which solved the problem. My TIPI seems more susceptible to corruption than others for some reason, likely some power issue. I think I'm going to invest in a small UPS just for it

yeah are you using a cheap 5v source?  they make nice little pi ups units too depending on your application 

12 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

yeah are you using a cheap 5v source?  they make nice little pi ups units too depending on your application 

Yeah I have the standard wall wart PS for it. The issue though may not be power interruption (really rare where I live) but rather power fluctuations or glitching from the PS itself. Would a UPS kick in if the supply voltage of the PS goes below the standard 5V?

Yeah I have the standard wall wart PS for it. The issue though may not be power interruption (really rare where I live) but rather power fluctuations or glitching from the PS itself. Would a UPS kick in if the supply voltage of the PS goes below the standard 5V?
Yes or you can get one of those UPSs that go outside on the 120 volt source that does power regulation keeping it both at 120 when there's an outage or down to 120 when there's a spike

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vorticon said:

This is interesting

UPS-Lite for Raspberry Pi Zero

I have made quasi-UPSes for some USB-powered lights before using NiMH batteries, a diode, and a resistor.  Four NiMH provide 4.8V, which most devices handle just fine (especially when the input voltage is regulated down to 3.3V.)

APC makes a UPS with USB output (600M1) which provides 1.0A on a USB port which provides power when on battery. So you could provide power to your computer and USB-powered device.  I use this on small networks (eg. 8-port switch with 4 PoE, VDSL modem,) with a Ubiquiti CloudKey.

• Like 4