IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

Is it possible, or are there plans to make an rs232 redirect similar to PI.PIO so we could use programs like Term80, Telco, FastTerm, and VT4?
Like the included telnet and tipi-mxt? Wouldn't it be better to patch the existing software to support TIPI

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, stagemanbob said:

Is it possible, or are there plans to make an rs232 redirect similar to PI.PIO so we could use programs like Term80, Telco, FastTerm, and VT4?

A 'redirect' isn't really possible. 99.999% of the software that uses RS232 uses it at a low level, poking crubits and memory addresses directly, skipping the DSR based IO.  So as @arcadeshopper said, you'd really have to patch the programs. 

If you find ANY rs232 software that uses the DSR "RS232" device, it would be interesting to try using the PI.TCP device. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I'm not sure how @thebf accesses his cartridge port from rs232 using Camel 99. But he's also controls a clock sitting at  >6000 through rs232.

Yep totally different and incompatible with old software that uses Texas Instruments RS232 hardware

• Like 2

Update 2.35 - 2022-03-20

some improvements to configuring for use with emulators... a few options configured through /home/tipi/tipi/emulation/emu-setup.sh - I need to update documentation, and make a fresh image to normalize this, hopefully soon. 

Due to unpopular demand, but something I've meant to enable since the beginning... the webui now allows setting the drive mappings. Thank @pixelpedant for kicking this from an old idea to request. 

image.thumb.png.72c9cbfd501100ceff5bbacc8fe714f1.png

The mapped directories will be indicated as illustrated here:

image.thumb.png.10b1dc453e8033bbfdbb7b0d451932b6.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

On 3/19/2022 at 1:20 PM, jedimatt42 said:

Update 2.34 - 2022-03-19

Fix the rename operation to set the new name in the TIFILES header ( it is now really a load, modify, write, delete )

Fix bounds checking on lvl2 direct-input and direct-output to respect the declared limit in the header.

Thank you.  Awesome support.  I updated to v2.35 today and did some more testing. The results have been inconclusive here, as there are times where I can write a program image file with opcode >06, read the additional info block to obtain the total sector count, and then read the file one block at a time until I reach the final block, and reading the final block generates an error.  Copying the file created with opcode >06 from the TIPI to a spinning device via direct read/write, then back to TIPI, the same block read loop generates an error when I read past the file (last block + 1).   This makes little sense to me how opcode 6 would make a difference here.

I certainly will not rule out a Geneve OS problem but the inconsistent results have me completely baffled.   I'll pick this up again next weekend with a 'fresh' mind and am sharing here just to cover the bases.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Keneg said:

I am trying to use the web ui to transfer a game, legends, to the TIPI.  I know I have done this before, but I don't remember how.  Please help.  

so.. more information is required, what is your source for the game? a DSK file?  if so just upload that file and it will unpack to a folder automatically (the easiest way)  if you don't have the dsk file it's easy to find on https://ftp.whtech.com/emulators/pc99/pc99 dsk collection/Vendors/Asgard/Legends 

• Like 1

While you didn’t tell me how to access the TIPI through the UI, the information you provided did let me get the game running on my TI.  THANKS!
Yes well it seemed to me that you already had it open based on your question.. it's pretty intuitive once you get going as you found out

On 3/24/2022 at 6:24 PM, stagemanbob said:

I like the inclusion of TIPI's drive mapping status in the web gui that came with the latest update. Well done!

I also appreciate this! And all the other updates and improvements! I just got my TIPI-PEB up and running, and the possibilities are endless (my wife rolls her eyes). I’m scouring this thread, YouTube, and websites for hints, and between those and messing around on my own, I’ve been able to do a lot, including copying TurboForth and fbForth “blocks” files to floppy disk (I remain very old school, I know… I could just use Classic99). 

Someone wished for a user manual, and this slide show from the German TI group has a lot of really good information, especially when combined with the GitHub wiki and the videos from arcadeshopper and Wagner’s TechTalk. And this thread, of course, but 74 pages is a lot!

My aha moment today (from one of the videos) was to use a Windows or Ubuntu share to tidy up the folders on the TIPI. (Although my windows 10 computer is still stubbornly refusing to map/mount network drives since the last Windows update, but that’s for a different forum).

My next puzzle will be a purely physical one - to figure out if I can plug a mouse into the PI without bending or cutting the metal finger for the PEB slot that the TIPI is in. My PI 3+ has the USB ports on the “rear,” facing that “wall.” But I don’t think I can reverse the PI mounting or else the power cord will keep the lid of the PEB from closing. Anyone who has figured out a nondestructive solution to this, please chime in! I hate to bend or break the chassis of the PEB, maybe still thinking of my estate sale in 2045…

Anyway, hats off to all the very smart inventors and builders here. This thing is pure genius, right up there with FinalGrom99.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Fitzgerald said:

My next puzzle will be a purely physical one - to figure out if I can plug a mouse into the PI without bending or cutting the metal finger for the PEB slot that the TIPI is in. My PI 3+ has the USB ports on the “rear,” facing that “wall.” But I don’t think I can reverse the PI mounting or else the power cord will keep the lid of the PEB from closing. Anyone who has figured out a nondestructive solution to this, please chime in! I hate to bend or break the chassis of the PEB, maybe still thinking of my estate sale in 2045…

I have a very short USB mouse dongle that connects to that spot.  It is perhaps 7 to 8 mm at most in length.  I bent the finger out a bit, and then bent the top back in towards the PEBox so I could shut the list.  You don't want to leave it out as it could come in contact with external connector on the TIPI card.

23 minutes ago, 9640News said:

I have a very short USB mouse dongle that connects to that spot.  It is perhaps 7 to 8 mm at most in length.  I bent the finger out a bit, and then bent the top back in towards the PEBox so I could shut the list.  You don't want to leave it out as it could come in contact with external connector on the TIPI card.

Thanks, beery, I will try to locate one of those. Much appreciated!

2 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

If you have a tall slot PEB I would recommend mounting the PI outside the PEB instead of directly on the TipiPEB board.  

All of my PEBs we're short slotted, so I didn't realize the potential issue.

Not hard to get a fan for the TIPI and there is already to much crap sticking out the back of a P-Box now.

Besides with crap hanging out the back of a P-Box look stupid and like this: 

tadrkzgfo5141.jpg (3264×1836) (redd.it)

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Pictures of both in the FAQ

Thanks! I missed that, even when I was puzzling out the wiring differences. 

Update - Doh! Just looked. My old one is a shorty. I didn’t even realize that as I was rewiring it! Well, that solves my problem - just pull out the old one now that it’s working again. (The “old” one meaning the one I’ve had for 37 years, even though it’s the later model)

Edited by XLERB?
Update
  • Like 1