IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

5 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

An example URL for the web browser looks like this:

http://192.168.1.65:9900/

Note "http" and not "https" - in most web browsers if you want no 's' you have to type the 'http:' explicitly.

An example CIFS/Samba path for a windows FILE browser looks like:

\\192.168.1.65\TIPI\

If your router provides local DNS for your home network, then usually you can use tipi.local instead of the IP address. Otherwise run CALL TIPI from TI BASIC and use the IP address it reports on the 4A screen.

Tried both ways without any success.  Today when I attempted it I got a Run Windows Diagnostic box so went ahead and ran it to see what it said. 

First it says: "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection. "

Then when that text is highlighted it says: "The device or resource (IP Address) is not set up to accept connections on port "The file and printer sharing (SMB)".

5 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

on your pc in a cmd prompt can you ping the ip address?  ping x.x.x.x  is the command replacing the x with the ip address numbers

if that works try ping tipi   and ping tipi.local

From the command prompt I get the following when typing in ping (ip address):  reply from (ip address): destination port unreachable

when typing ping tipi: reply from (ip address): destination port unavailable

ping tipi.local gives a "could not find host"

5 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

You can also verify that the service are running by telnetting into the PI from the 4A. The terminal is a little mismatched for Linux so you generally need to type everything perfectly the first time.

From TI BASIC:

CALL TIPI("TIPI.NET.TELNET")

Pick the appropriate screen mode, 80 columns requires an F18A.

For the hostname prompt enter:

localhost

For the port enter:

At the login prompt enter the credentials:

Username: tipi

Password: tipi

Then run:

sudo systemctl status TIPI web.service

What does it show?

After running the sudo systemctl command I received the following:  WARNING: terminal is not fully functional - (press RETURN) Unit TIPI.service could not be found

I feel like it is probably something simple I have overlooked or failed to do, but having gone over things multiple times I am probably missing the forest for the trees so to speak 😅

Thanks for all your help guys!

19 hours ago, stud33heisman said:

Tried both ways without any success.  Today when I attempted it I got a Run Windows Diagnostic box so went ahead and ran it to see what it said. 

First it says: "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection. "

Then when that text is highlighted it says: "The device or resource (IP Address) is not set up to accept connections on port "The file and printer sharing (SMB)".

From the command prompt I get the following when typing in ping (ip address):  reply from (ip address): destination port unreachable

when typing ping tipi: reply from (ip address): destination port unavailable

ping tipi.local gives a "could not find host"

After running the sudo systemctl command I received the following:  WARNING: terminal is not fully functional - (press RETURN) Unit TIPI.service could not be found

I feel like it is probably something simple I have overlooked or failed to do, but having gone over things multiple times I am probably missing the forest for the trees so to speak 😅

Thanks for all your help guys!

Ok this tells me your network is not allowing connections between the devices.. this is either your router/ap settings OR you have done something on the PI to restrict connections like adding a firewall or security settings..

What router do you have?  Is it set to isolate devices?  are you doing this ping on ethernet or wifi?  some routers isolate wifi devices from each other

On 4/19/2024 at 2:01 PM, arcadeshopper said:

Ok this tells me your network is not allowing connections between the devices.. this is either your router/ap settings OR you have done something on the PI to restrict connections like adding a firewall or security settings..

What router do you have?  Is it set to isolate devices?  are you doing this ping on ethernet or wifi?  some routers isolate wifi devices from each other

Yes it has to be some issue with the router.. I went ahead and tinkered with pinging and trying to fiddle with my router settings.  I did finally succeed in getting my TIPI to ping through my ethernet cable after setting my router's firewall settings from medium to low (no off setting)... I was also able to finally access my TIPI's files through a web browser and successfully transferred Stuart's Web Browser to it.  

However, this is only through a physical ethernet connection.  Otherwise I still have the same issues with wifi.  Not only that, but I still cannot access actual webpages like whtech or myti99.com by any means at this point.  When I try to use the web browser and type in a lowercase webpage I get the message "Error - no valid markup found on page."  The weird thing is that when I tried to access the "COMBATTI" page from typing it in through BASIC i was able to access  it but can't go further because I haven't been able to create an account on the main site.  Trying to access the main myti99 page through BASIC actually just reboots the machine... so not sure what to think since some things seem to be working, and some don't.  

My router is an Inseego FG2000-3 provided through US Cellular.  I have not added anything to the TIPI or the Pi except for the image file and the web browser files up to this point and have not added any additional security/firewall settings. 

One other thing to note about my router is that it has a Guest portal as well as the main one.  Silly as it sounds I have some devices that no matter what wont connect to my main portal but will to my Guest one.  I have had this router for a year now and have tolerated it since I have been able to get all my things working on at least one of the wifi ports. 

The TIPI has been the same way but the functionality seems limited.  Connects with guest, won't connect with my main one.  But as stated before being connected to the guest doesn't even ping.  I tried talking with my provider's customer service about this multiple times yesterday and they were unfortunately less than helpful.

At the very least it seems I can now transfer files through my windows computers.

44 minutes ago, stud33heisman said:

One other thing to note about my router is that it has a Guest portal as well as the main one.  Silly as it sounds I have some devices that no matter what wont connect to my main portal but will to my Guest one.  I have had this router for a year now and have tolerated it since I have been able to get all my things working on at least one of the wifi ports. 

The TIPI has been the same way but the functionality seems limited.  Connects with guest, won't connect with my main one.  But as stated before being connected to the guest doesn't even ping.  I tried talking with my provider's customer service about this multiple times yesterday and they were unfortunately less than helpful.

At the very least it seems I can now transfer files through my windows computers.

Grasping at straws here.....

Any chance the configuration of the guest/main portals are configured for IPV4 or IPV6, and not both? Or some devices at 2.4 GHz and others at 5GHz, and not both limiting device connections?

@jedimatt42 It has been a while since i've seen a update available for tipi. Would i be correct in assuming that aside from fixing possible bugs and/or supporting newer Pi models, you don't really intend to update the Pi side software of tipi anytime soon?

Honestly, tipi has pretty much everything i could ask for from a user standpoint, so i'd totally get it if you are "done" with it for a while.

3 hours ago, stud33heisman said:

Yes it has to be some issue with the router.. I went ahead and tinkered with pinging and trying to fiddle with my router settings.  I did finally succeed in getting my TIPI to ping through my ethernet cable after setting my router's firewall settings from medium to low (no off setting)... I was also able to finally access my TIPI's files through a web browser and successfully transferred Stuart's Web Browser to it.  

However, this is only through a physical ethernet connection.  Otherwise I still have the same issues with wifi.  Not only that, but I still cannot access actual webpages like whtech or myti99.com by any means at this point.  When I try to use the web browser and type in a lowercase webpage I get the message "Error - no valid markup found on page."  The weird thing is that when I tried to access the "COMBATTI" page from typing it in through BASIC i was able to access  it but can't go further because I haven't been able to create an account on the main site.  Trying to access the main myti99 page through BASIC actually just reboots the machine... so not sure what to think since some things seem to be working, and some don't.  

My router is an Inseego FG2000-3 provided through US Cellular.  I have not added anything to the TIPI or the Pi except for the image file and the web browser files up to this point and have not added any additional security/firewall settings. 

wow.. Ok so all your issues are your network and have nothing to do with TIPI..  you say something about the guest network vs the lan, the issue there is entirely that guest is isolated from the local equipment

you need to be on the same network for it to work.. you need to be able to connect to the device to use it.. :)

ti browser: myti99.com  - CREATE NEW ACCOUNT.  easy

ti browser:  http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrhodes said:

@jedimatt42 It has been a while since i've seen a update available for tipi. Would i be correct in assuming that aside from fixing possible bugs and/or supporting newer Pi models, you don't really intend to update the Pi side software of tipi anytime soon?

Honestly, tipi has pretty much everything i could ask for from a user standpoint, so i'd totally get it if you are "done" with it for a while.

Updates are usually for reasons.. if you see no issues, there's no reasons :)

Greg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, stud33heisman said:

Things on the guest network are prevented from seeing the things on the main network, this is the point of the guest network. But consequently, the things on guest are typically invisible to the things on the main network as well.

Make sure the main network is set to support the PI's wifi capabilities, which I believe is just 2.4ghz. the TIPI sd card image has the wifi set for the US region. You likey need to attach a keyboard and HDMI to the PI and manually configure the router and PI until they agree on the main network.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jrhodes said:

I think there are many life fables and tails about the dangers in assuming. In this case, it is hard to tell if you are correct or incorrect. Even I don't know if making an assumption is right for you or not. I think you just have to be okay with your assumptions being wrong and allow for the consequences if that proves to be the case. You never know when someone will message me and ask if CS1 is possible...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Another option, if, like me, you don't use the guest network for guests, and the router supports it, you could have the main wifi set to 2.4ghz/5ghz but the guest network set to only 2.4ghz and then allow devices to see each other between main and guest network in settings

All my retro connections go thru my guest network as everything seems happy to work at 2.4ghz and all my other devices connect to main network (mainly at 5ghz)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jedimatt42 said:

This sub-thread of the topic was definitely meant to be humorous...  But seriously, I don't have specific plans right now. But I am open to improvements and suggestions.. 

On a serious note, I wish I had something more for which to advocate.  The ability to SAVE to a website address via HTTP POST is all I needed, and I have yet to really put that to good use.