IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

21 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Hard to tell in your pics what I'd do is separate the two 5 pin wire bundles from each other and use a sharpie to mark one side as pin 1 to make it easier to determine orientation.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Here are two new photos. 

The marked cable is closest to the circuit board on the tipi.

RPI.jpg

tipi.jpg

Here are two new photos. 

The marked cable is closest to the circuit board on the tipi.

RPI.thumb.jpg.8b979c45dee2976d6b9a6d0cb1ec948d.jpg

tipi.thumb.jpg.94ef1a45f688dbda7ce3a003d797aef3.jpg

you marked the entire cable with the sharpie instead of one wire on one end. You need to mark pin one so it can be determined which side pin one was. So you need to mark pin one instead of the whole cable. Mark it on both cables so that way pin one on both cables is in the same orientation on both sides do is that make sense?

With colored cables it's easier but of course I ran out of those.

You can see in the attached photo that cable orientation is important.

95304619e813555459973a89ace08d0e.jpg

I'd make pin one on the cable the one closest to the top of the tipi plug then make the pi side the orientation with pin 1 on top the same as the diagram.

3 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

Matt,

I think I may have asked this question in the past, however I can not find my original inquiry.  At the time, your response indicated it was not possible to see an inbound connection.

I've been playing with some BBS software lately, and I am questioning if there may be another method I can use.

My router, I can port forward to the particular Raspberry PI for an inbound connection.

If the PI has a inbound port open, how does the PI delegate to the TIPI the specific socket?

What I am wondering is if I poll socket "0" with a "Press any key to continue", will I be able to then see/know a connection is present?  Or, does an inbound connection get routed to a random socket?  Or, is there something else?

Beery

Sockets on any computer just don't work that way. You are describing connecting 2 client sockets to each other. Client sockets only connect to server sockets.  The internet makes it seem more flexible because there are proxy servers that accept 2 clients and echo the traffic between them (usually at a higher application layer) 

I would rather see an extension to TIPI services that provides a server socket API. 

This wouldn't be hard, I just don't have a use case to vet the API against. 

I'm working on print to pdf today via PI.PIO[.LF][.CR][.NU] using. 

Our previous conversation is probably in the TIPI dev thread, or one of the several one off threads you created... 

When I am done with PIO, I'll look at server sockets. But I am not going to tell people how to port forward or set up dynamic dns. Or even why they might want or need to do that.

-M@

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

you marked the entire cable with the sharpie instead of one wire on one end. You need to mark pin one so it can be determined which side pin one was. So you need to mark pin one instead of the whole cable. Mark it on both cables so that way pin one on both cables is in the same orientation on both sides do is that make sense?

With colored cables it's easier but of course I ran out of those.

You can see in the attached photo that cable orientation is important.

95304619e813555459973a89ace08d0e.jpg

I'd make pin one on the cable the one closest to the top of the tipi plug then make the pi side the orientation with pin 1 on top the same as the diagram.

To state another way, check the numbering as documented : https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/TIPI-to-PI-Wiring

You might have them on the correct side, but each of your ends can be backwards.

-M@

Now I have marked the cables as mentioned, it showed that it was connected correct from the start (have also made a verification with the Jedimatts description on GitHub of the connection numbering).

I reinstalled the sdimage on the SD card (tipi image buster 1.41) and changed hostname to tipi2 and rebooted, typed the login and password.

Started my Geneve and in GPL pressed F5 (have also tried to change the gal speed to 1) and in to basic, typed CALL TIPI and still the computer freezes when the green led lights up.

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

so nick99 have you confirmed the pi is on the network? If so can you ssh into it? And if so can you view the /var/log/tipi/tipi.log?

Greg

Sounds like if Nick99 was changing host names, then he must have been able to SSH, or had a monitor and keyboard attached to the PI. 

So, yes, Nick, we need to know what /var/log/tipi/tipi.log contains, and while you are fetching files, grab /var/log/daemon.log

Really early service failures will be in that daemon.log

If you can ssh in, you should also be able to sftp in... 

-M@

On 1/1/2020 at 7:33 AM, Nick99 said:

So, now I have GPL 6.50 working with MDOS 1.14F, I press F5 and TI-Basic turns up. I can make programs and they run fine.

When I make a CALL TIPI I see the green led light up and the Geneve freezes.

Please be aware that all GPL versions with ROMPAGE functionality rely upon internal information not present in MDOS 1.14F.   If you are using a standard Geneve without the 32K SRAM, you should locate and download MDOS version 2.21 as it is the most current non-SCSI, non-32K-required release.  I am not saying MDOS 2.21 will fix the problem, only that you are potentially compounding it by using a very old OS.   If there is someone with a similar setup, it would be prudent to test MDOS 2.21 / GPL 6.50 / TIPI together to confirm they play well together.  (And I suppose you could test MDOS 1.14F but I don't really see the point.) 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

If there is someone with a similar setup, it would be prudent to test MDOS 2.21 / GPL 6.50 / TIPI together to confirm they play well together.  (And I suppose you could test MDOS 1.14F but I don't really see the point.) 

Tim, MDOS V2.21 and GPL V6.50 pull up the TIPI.TIPICFG program without issue using ROMPAGE.

FYI, I used the TESTH program to load a copy of V2.21 and then used my existing copy of GPL on my hard drive.

Beery

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TIPI update 1.43 has been pushed to release!

This update brings printing to "PI.PIO" device - just like TI's PIO, but with attached Epson printer emulation direct to PDF.

Documentation on the feature is here: https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/PI.PIO 

This update will take at least 7 minutes to install. If you are on a PI-Zero-W, I'd expect more like 30 minutes. It also depends on the speed of your PI's overall network access.  

As always, it is a good idea to utilize that \\TIPI\TIPI network file share, and back-up the data you have on your PI, before performing an upgrade. 

I will be producing a fresh SD card image also, after lunch ( US-Pacific ) 

Printing on the TI is full of nuance. Please read the project wikihttps://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/PI.PIO 

This update installs software from RWAP, If you don't TIPI, they have a full Centronics port based Epson printer emulator that is based on the software, so I expect it would work great with any TI parallel printer interface.

retroprinter.com

-M@

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

The file APPEARS to be there...

File.JPG.2e64cf231c623e66b905c7eba2794672.JPG

... but when I try to access it, I get...

Bummer.JPG.0ba3a52857c5aebdaeb433559ad1db41.JPG

?? Are you using a web browser to view the file share?  Is that a thing Windows does? 

Anyway, /var/log/daemon.log, /var/log/tipi/pio.log, /var/log/tipi/tipi.log  would be useful to see.

-M@

11 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

?? Are you using a web browser to view the file share?  Is that a thing Windows does? 

Anyway, /var/log/daemon.log, /var/log/tipi/pio.log, /var/log/tipi/tipi.log  would be useful to see.

Yes, I was trying to use my browser.  

I cannot remember how to access the log. :dunce:

I tired different approach, but...

Hmmm.thumb.JPG.c6bac6597b59dd87352ab08e5f329c63.JPG

Should I set up a different drive?

That was weird!  I cannot click on the file to view it, but I can type in the filename manually in the path (while in the browser) to get it.

Deleting the files is something I'll have to figure out as well.  

A guide for dummies (like me) might be required.

(I noticed my calendar is wrong too), but at least I was able to print the file.  I'm making some progress.

print_2020_01_05_T14_17_30.pdf

For those that may have an interest with Matt's latest release of the TIPI DSR for PI.PIO support.  I loaded a rompage version of MyWord with a path of WDS1 versus HDS1, and did a print to PI.PIO of a 13 page source file.  It took approximately 3.5 minutes to process and then returned to MyWord without issue.

Beery

Within my chrome browser I was able to go directly to the file using file://tipi//PDFS/print_2020_01_05_T14_17_30.pdf

However, just going to the directory: file://tipi//PDFS/ and clicking on the file gives me no joy.  I cannot understand it.

So at this point I have to manually append the filename in the URL line to access the PDF's.

So, what I'll need to learn is how to get there from Windows so I can read and DELETE files.