IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

So, the CRUBASE isn't actually changing... the code in TIPICFG that gets the crubase, opens a file using normal means and uses the side effect that R12 will be left at the crubase value after it succeeds. If the PI is flaking out, it might return to the TIPI DSR a 'skip' result code, and the DSRLNK will move on to see if other cards can handle the file request. If none handle it, then R12 holds 0x2000. I should fix TIPICFG to report the earlier error.

Just a summary:

• It isn't the upgrade process - failure occurs for upgrades as well as fresh SD card users
  • It isn't drive the hardware nuts and actually changing CRUBASE - that was just a reporting error in TIPICFG
  • It only manifests for PI Zero W users.
  • It isn't isolated to the combination 32K/TIPI as we have 1 user on a TipiPEB.
  • It is not all PI Zero W users - 2 users report it works fine - both with the older sideport TIPI. 
  • It isn't obviously power, as reporting users suggest they have Raspberry PI Org approved power supplies.

@arcadeshopper reported seeing the problem on his 32K/TIPI system. We will likely also need a volunteer in the broken state to co-test any potential fixes.

My strategy would start with a quest to eliminate any unnecessary services inherited from the operating system distribution.

I have no idea how long this will take without hands on the problem. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fimbulvetr said:

I reflashed and retried about half a dozen times last week with the same problems, then went back to the old version. I haven’t tried upgrading since then.

I'm wondering.  Is there anyway to turn the update notification off until the problem is resolved?  I'd prefer not to get that reminder popping up on the screen because sure as shooting, if I'm tired, and close to falling asleep at the computer, which does happen, I may press the "U" button without even thinking.  

If someone can make their image available (sans most personal TIPI files and WIFI stuff, I'll be glad to test it?  

I have a 16gb sd available?

I can share my image as well?  It seems to be working correctly on my system.

My setup is Raspberry PI zero W on TIPI/32K.  Stock chrome silver console.

Again, with me not being a programmer, I'm still beginning to suspect a single 'error trapping routine' inserted into a 'single and proper place' (wherever that is) will correct the problem.  It's not my place, but I'm thinking a poll of actual users answering about a dozen questions could speed up and help pinpoint the diagnosis.  And since I have nothing else to offer, I'll bow out of this conversation.

2 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

I'm wondering.  Is there anyway to turn the update notification off until the problem is resolved?  I'd prefer not to get that reminder popping up on the screen because sure as shooting, if I'm tired, and close to falling asleep at the computer, which does happen, I may press the "U" button without even thinking.  

@Omega-TI , as such a Force Command advocate, why are you running TIPICFG regularly? The only thing you should need it for is 'U'pdate... 

10 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

We will likely also need a volunteer in the broken state to co-test any potential fixes.

I'd be happy to help test, although my issues have settled down quite a bit.  "CALL TIPI" issue do still occur but at a much less frequent rate.  (The SNEK high score issue is still 100% of the time.) 

All my testing was with external power using an official RPi power supply. 

1 hour ago, J-Data said:

I'd be happy to help test, although my issues have settled down quite a bit.  "CALL TIPI" issue do still occur but at a much less frequent rate.  (The SNEK high score issue is still 100% of the time.) 

All my testing was with external power using an official RPi power supply. 

I missed the SNEK high score issue... I'll have to try that... I'm assuming a snowflake feature missed by the python3 conversion.

One thing about having to start over, it forces me to remember stuff and it affords me the opportunity to "do things right".  Now I'm using the CALL command to load many of the programs I use.  

I'm seriously going to have to learn how to make an .ISO from my TIPI SD card someday.  That way if things ever get FUBAR'ed again, it'll be a relatively quick fix.

Dunno why the Mouse did not work in 9.4, but fell back to 9.3 and all is well.

Edited by Omega-TI
OUT OF DATE - ISSUE FIXED (sort of)

2 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

I'm seriously going to have to learn how to make an .ISO from my TIPI SD card someday. 

Another easy thing to do is just copy the TIPI disk directory from \\tipi\tipi to a backup folder on your PC.  You can then dump it right back into any new image.  Does not bring all the configs with it, but way faster than creating and burning an ISO. 

Stuart's browser mouse  (9.3) and TI Artist mouse both work for me with TIPI 2.4. 

• Like 2

I don't know what people use on windows to create images of SD cards... Lots of tools to burn an image..   I use the really old dd command from unix to create my images. 

You might get mislead searching for creating an ISO. You just want to create an image of the sd card. Here, a little let me google that for you:  https://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi-tutorials/17789160-backing-up-and-restoring-your-raspberry-pis-sd-card

I guess now I know.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

I don't know what people use on windows to create images of SD cards... Lots of tools to burn an image..   I use the really old dd command from unix to create my images. 

You might get mislead searching for creating an ISO. You just want to create an image of the sd card. Here, a little let me google that for you:  https://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi-tutorials/17789160-backing-up-and-restoring-your-raspberry-pis-sd-card

I guess now I know.

A little google goes a long way...

I use "Win32DiskImager"   to copy / backup my current image.  (It can both read and write the images).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J-Data said:

Stuart's browser mouse  (9.3) and TI Artist mouse both work for me with TIPI 2.4. 

I thought everything was kopescetic, but was having mouse issues with 9.3 not working as well.  A direct load did not work, neither did the call, but once I went back to using the loader, everything worked.

WEB

Edited by Omega-TI
Updated

11 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

I thought everything was kopescetic, but I'm having mouse issues with 9.3 now.  It seems to be intermittent.  I'll go grab the FG99 version and see if that makes a difference.  Maybe I'll try the loader as well. 

I don't know if this is pertinent?

I remembered that to run the browser you have to have the BROWSER.bin on the FG99 and files setup in the TIPI.  See the instructions from Stuart's site:

http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser

from his site:

TIPI Version

The program is on a TiDisk format image which can be downloaded here. Extract the TiDisk file from the zip file, then upload it to the root directory of the TIPI using the TIPI web interface. The TIPI will automatically extract the files into a directory named "BROWSER".

To run the program, boot with the Editor/Assembler cartridge, select E/A option 3 and type the filename TIPI.BROWSER.INTERNET (or DSK.BROWSER.INTERNET). The program will automatically start after loading.

The program is available as a FinalGROM99 image here. The program needs some of the files on the TiDisk image above in order to run, so you still need to download that TiDisk format image and upload it to the TIPI.

If using a mouse (connected to the Raspberry Pi) to control the browser, try using the oldest USB mouse you have available and move the mouse slowly. A newer mouse with a high resolution can make the browser pointer hard to control.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been using it for quite a while, I just forgot how I had set everything up over time.  With the reinstall I'm covering old ground like it's new.  I prefer to use the TIPI version because once I'm done I hit reset and I'm instantly back in Force Command.  

Directory.thumb.PNG.a63f0a8ee645c97c5e3f45d5d533e851.PNG

10 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

Yeah, I've been using it for quite a while, I just forgot how I had set everything up over time.  With the reinstall I'm covering old ground like it's new.  I prefer to use the TIPI version because once I'm done I hit reset and I'm instantly back in Force Command.  

Directory.thumb.PNG.a63f0a8ee645c97c5e3f45d5d533e851.PNG

His current 9.4 disk image seems to have only EA Option 3 file called INTERNET. How do you directly execute it with FC?  When I tried a "load TIPI.BROWSER.INTERNET"  the program failed to load?

His current 9.4 disk image seems to have only EA Option 3 file called INTERNET. How do you directly execute it with FC?  When I tried a "load TIPI.BROWSER.INTERNET"  the program failed to load?
I made a ea5 program image it's posted somewhere I'll send it to you tomorrow if you can't find it

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

I made a ea5 program image it's posted somewhere I'll send it to you tomorrow if you can't find it

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the "heads up".  I found the zip file in the forums..

It currently is for version 9.3 (unless I missed an a newer link/update).  However, not much difference between 9.3 and 9.4.  ?

For me, the EA5 version doesn't play well with my attached nanoPEB.  EA5 INT1 does work - I ended up with file corruption.

The EA3 version started fine with the TI E/A bin.

The FG99 9.4 .bin seems to work well.

Thanks...