IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

On 11/8/2020 at 9:16 AM, jedimatt42 said:

@pcoderdude14 - I hooked my TIPI PI up to a display today, and only see a little trouble, easily fixed in raspi-config

The default display mode is 'monitor default' so it detects what the monitor can do, and tries to do that. On my monitor, this partially fails... ( I see this sometimes on my MiSTer as well ) - My symptom is simply the screen image is cut off a bit on 3 of four sides. Going into raspi-config, under the advanced options, and selecting a fixed display mode seems to fix that for me. I've tried 640x480, and 1920x1080 - after that, it doesn't do screen detection, and just uses what it was told, and my issues go away.

This isn't exactly your symptom, but it does indicate there can be display specific quirks, that can be cured by using raspi-config -- there is also a screen blanking feature that can be disabled in there.

( I've been exploring this on the PI 3B )

Ok, Matt.  I got my setup back at home (my apartment instead of G/f's) and sure enough...everything works on the RasPI - with - the TIPI and 1MSams(sidecar) - and TI 99 console EXCEPT the display on the RasPI.  I will try going into "raspi-config" with SSH (Putty) and see if I can fix that. 

The next I need to try is the UPDATE process. But, even though, I received a IP-address on the TIPI, ...I did NOT receive an "Update" notice ...so, I will try the "FNCT U" process and see what happens.

Thanks for checking this out for me Matt ?

Jt

• Like 3

On 11/7/2020 at 10:33 AM, jedimatt42 said:

Probably a bug in my version string comparison... I'm used to upgrading from an upgraded state, so I didn't think enough of this.

in 'CALL TIPI' / TIPICFG, press FCTN-U to trigger an upgrade even if it isn't detected.

This just worked for Arcadeshopper.

(I'll take some time off from FTP this afternoon, and fix TIPICFG)

I tried the "FCTN-U" ... didn't show "UPDATE COMPLETE" but rebooted and everything was fine.  Now, at
"2.12"  ?

5 hours ago, pcoderdude14 said:

Ok, Matt.  I got my setup back at home (my apartment instead of G/f's) and sure enough...everything works on the RasPI - with - the TIPI and 1MSams(sidecar) - and TI 99 console EXCEPT the display on the RasPI.  I will try going into "raspi-config" with SSH (Putty) and see if I can fix that. 

The next I need to try is the UPDATE process. But, even though, I received a IP-address on the TIPI, ...I did NOT receive an "Update" notice ...so, I will try the "FNCT U" process and see what happens.

Thanks for checking this out for me Matt ?

Jt

Well...even with the TIPI  updated to 2.12, I still get a "black screen" after a certain point of the RasPI booting.  Everything is still working fine; The TIPI - The SAMS1Meg(Sidecar) - The RasPI 3b+. 

I looked at the "raspi-config" functions...The "screen blanking" is for the "xscreensaver" (which isn't even installed)...the "resolution" just makes the text bigger before it "blacks out".  Don't know what else to try?  But, since I am able to get "IP address", and, was able to "UPDATE" , I am not to worried about the "black screen".  For all practical purposes, the TIPI (and peripherals) is running just fine ?

Well...even with the TIPI  updated to 2.12, I still get a "black screen" after a certain point of the RasPI booting.  Everything is still working fine; The TIPI - The SAMS1Meg(Sidecar) - The RasPI 3b+. 
I looked at the "raspi-config" functions...The "screen blanking" is for the "xscreensaver" (which isn't even installed)...the "resolution" just makes the text bigger before it "blacks out".  Don't know what else to try?  But, since I am able to get "IP address", and, was able to "UPDATE" , I am not to worried about the "black screen".  For all practical purposes, the TIPI (and peripherals) is running just fine [emoji846]

Tipi sw has nothing to do with the video setup. Updating in tipicfg wouldn't do anything to change it.

You have a hw config issue with the pi and your display..

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Hello ...

I think this is the right "thread" to ask about this : Here is previous post--->

I am having TIPI "software" issues. 

For one thing, I cannot get the "TIN_A" software (TI Monopoly , written for the SAMS AMS memory card) to "boot"...

I think it is "reading" some of the files, but, I always get "I/O error 0" before it fully loads.   Also, when this happens

it always causes any other programs I try to run with the same "I/O error 0"!?! 

ALSO...I tried running the "Editor/Assembler" EDITOR ---> it loads and runs;

I then try "Editor/Assembler" ASSEMBLER --->it fails with "I/O error 0" then;

I try running EDITOR again--->it fails with (see above).

Does anyone else have this/these problems with TIPI?

>>post the Log file please in the support topic (from arcadeshopper)

Tipi.log>>

2020-11-10 19:40:18,712 TipiService : INFO     physical mode enabled
2020-11-10 19:40:18,713 TipiService : INFO     TIPI Ready
2020-11-10 19:40:22,983 TipiService : INFO     physical mode enabled
2020-11-10 19:40:22,984 TipiService : INFO     TIPI Ready
2020-11-10 19:40:31,232 TipiDisk    : INFO     Opcode 5 LOAD - DSK1.EDIT1
2020-11-10 19:40:31,234 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Load, fileType: Sequential, mode: Update, dataType: Display, recordType: Fixed, recordLength: 0, recordNumber: 8448
2020-11-10 19:40:31,235 tinames.tinames: INFO     DSK1.EDIT1 -> /home/tipi/tipi_disk/EDITASS1/EDIT1
2020-11-10 19:40:31,249 TipiDisk    : INFO     LOAD image size 6144
2020-11-10 19:40:32,272 TipiService : INFO     Request completed.
2020-11-10 19:40:36,548 TipiService : INFO     physical mode enabled
2020-11-10 19:40:36,548 TipiService : INFO     TIPI Ready
2020-11-10 21:31:37,857 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Close, fileType: Sequential, mode: Update, dataType: Display, recordType: Fixed, recordLength: 0, recordNumber: 8448
2020-11-10 21:31:37,857 tinames.tinames: INFO     DSK1.ASSM1 -> /home/tipi/tipi_disk/EDITASS1/ASSM1
2020-11-10 21:31:37,858 TipiDisk    : ERROR    responding with error: 0
NoneType: None
2020-11-10 21:31:37,858 TipiService : INFO     Request completed.
4 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Tipi sw has nothing to do with the video setup. Updating in tipicfg wouldn't do anything to change it.

You have a hw config issue with the pi and your display..

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

I know for a fact that ISN'T true. 

I have used MULTIPLE RasPI devices - (One 4B; One 3B; and One 3B+) and all of them have had issues with just THIS version of OS (2.5). 

I have run RASPIAN; RASBERRY OS; And two other (mainstream) Linux OS's on all of these ...not once was there a "black screen" on boot.  And, as I've said (multiple posts) "IT RUNS FINE WITH TIPI VERSION 1.43".

So please don't tell me it is a "hardware config issue"...it is a "software issue".

OK...new "development":

I tried running AMS software (program called "AMSTEST4")... the "first" time it ran, it reported "160K" card but ended with no errors.

The "second" time it ran, it reported "1024K" card and ended with no errors.

So, ...could this "black screen boot" be from a faulty SAMS AMS 1 Meg(sidecar) card?

It is the only thing that I have not "confirmed" as "fully-operational hardware".

16 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

@pcoderdude14 Keep your TIPI problem questions in this thread unless directed otherwise by the helpers here.  If I have to clean up because you are cross-posting in unrelated threads WHILE posting in here again, I will make sure it cannot happen again.

Ok. Sorry. Thought I had posted to this "thread" only.

10 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

I looked over the problem, and, tried some of what was suggested, in the article.

No luck.  The screen still "blanked" after starting to boot...I tried the "FKMS line" change without any effect.

I tried the "CLI " boot, and, made sure that it wasn't trying to boot into a "Desktop" ...also no effect.

I am really stumped by this.  But, I am still able to "access" TIPI thru TI99 console, as well as, SSH.

Hey ...can you send me the TIBBS. list that is on the Keep?  I couldn't access it thru telnet

Jt

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, speccery said:

I posted a video of my icy99 FPGA system working with TIPI. At least to the point that my TI-99/4A core can communicate with the TIPI enough to show TIPICFG. I suppose next I would need to learn how to actually use the TIPI, as it's the first time I've done anything with it. The TIPI project is impressive for sure!

nice!  Pretty much if you can load that, the rest will work.. Its basically serial communications and a DSR so if it loads a program (TIPICFG) then it's doing serial communications and the DSR is working.  congrats!

Might watch this video for more things to try:

Greg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

nice!  Pretty much if you can load that, the rest will work.. Its basically serial communications and a DSR so if it loads a program (TIPICFG) then it's doing serial communications and the DSR is working.  congrats!

Thank you and thanks for the list of videos - this is such a great forum as one gets support superfast and to the point!

I am well aware of how the TIPI interface works on the hardware side, as I needed to modify the Verilog code designed for the CPLD chip somewhat to interface properly to my FPGA core. But software side not so much yet. I have written a DSR for my previous FPGA design, so I know how those work. The CPU core in the FPGA runs much faster than the normal TMS9900, so I was ready to see some problems, but like you say, once the serial communications works, it pretty much just works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speccery said:

Thank you and thanks for the list of videos - this is such a great forum as one gets support superfast and to the point!

I am well aware of how the TIPI interface works on the hardware side, as I needed to modify the Verilog code designed for the CPLD chip somewhat to interface properly to my FPGA core. But software side not so much yet. I have written a DSR for my previous FPGA design, so I know how those work. The CPU core in the FPGA runs much faster than the normal TMS9900, so I was ready to see some problems, but like you say, once the serial communications works, it pretty much just works.

The serial communication magic is described here. https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/TIPI-Protocol

Being 100% agnostic to the speed of the 4A CPU and the PI is a cornerstone of the design.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update - 2.13 - 2020-12-12

- added Internal/Fixed 146 type catalog with modification timestamps.

This follows the format outlined by Fred Kaal in ti99-geek.nl -> Documents -> reading directories.

If a catalog file is opened with record length 0 or 146, you get timestamps from TIPI. 

Directories have 0 values for timestamps.

Creation time is 0 for all situations.

Files have last modified timestamps.

Like IDE and HDX, the year is complete and not offset from something. 

I do not know of any software for the 4A that uses this. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1