IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

Dumb question (been out of the loop for a while).  My TIPIs are all stuck at 2.7 and I know the latest is 2.20, but it is not asking to update. Can someone remind me of what the Linux command is to force the update?  Yes, I have updated the EPROM DSR to the new 2021 version. 

1 hour ago, J-Data said:

Dumb question (been out of the loop for a while).  My TIPIs are all stuck at 2.7 and I know the latest is 2.20, but it is not asking to update. Can someone remind me of what the Linux command is to force the update?  Yes, I have updated the EPROM DSR to the new 2021 version. 

What's new with the'21 eprom?

1 hour ago, J-Data said:

Never mind, I found it. "Fctn-U" from the CALL TIPI screen worked fine.  Just didn't tell me the upgrade was needed, and wouldn't take just "U".

There was a bug in TIPICFG for comparing 2.7 to 2.10... thought 1 was less than 7... Oops.

48 minutes ago, GDMike said:

What's new with the'21 eprom?

There is a brief changelog on my downloads page.

The details that matter are here: https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/commit/7e7aec6ae49e80523f9ac2a1ba58b5cf71bc226b#diff-ee2591e3985764a5c59d21d4cd1da24ff9f4668aa76493ae075fa77503efd092

Edited by jedimatt42
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, charlietunaz said:

How come some program files in BASIC or XB show up on the TIPI browser without the edit icon?  They look the same under TI99Dir.  What makes a file editable/non/editable?

a

I did some digging and I created a new empty TI BASIC file on the TIPI web browser and pasted the code directly from Notepad.  When I saved it I got a 

UnicodeEncodeError

UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode character '\u20ac' in position 8586: ordinal not in range(256)

and it didn't save the code.  '\u20ac' is the code for the Euro sign.

This is the suspicious line:

101 CALL BK :: CALL HCHAR(3,1,32,704) :: CALL SPRITE(#17,97,5,184,20,0,10) :: DISPLAY AT(2,1):RPT$("€",14) :: PP,TT=0 :: IF ZZ>17 THEN ZZ=-7

So it's probably a FCTN character interpreted as a Euro that the TIPI is not catching correctly.?  The game runs from the TIPI on real hardware, I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I try to just let bytes be bytes. Multibyte characters aren't supported. :(

So the browser app needs some attention to filter/transcode that correctly or at least in a non-crashing fashion. 

I will log an issue in github. And see what I can do...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Yeah on the real ti that needs to be a real character you redefine anyway. You can't expect a non ascii char to print on a ti..

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

These are actually ASCII characters entered with the function keys between quotes, such as ASCII characters between 128-143 that the TIPI browser doesn't recognize.  One of the programs is Garbage Belly and the other is the loader for Night Mission.  They both run fine on the real TI as is, no big deal, I know that there may be many other programs that do this to avoid having to enter CHR$(xxx) and save some memory.

Edited by charlietunaz

Characters 128 and up are not ASCII.

The important aspect is that if the file has non-ascii characters, TIPI must treat them correctly so they are preserved. If TIPI provides a web interface to view the PROGRAM image of a BASIC program as text, then it needs to render those characters correctly, and if TIPI lets you save text in a browser textbox to a PROGRAM image file, it needs to decode the browser text, and encode it as bytes properly or it will cause undesired changes. 

I've been using 'latin-1' for a 0-255 character range in the python code. I'll have to investigate if this loss occurs during xbas99.py encoding or decoding, as well as browser textbox, and transport from browser to python web service. The error indicates that the issue is from browser to web-service as the webservice reported it was trying to encode in latin-1. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

I worked around it by simply figuring out which special character was being used around quotes and replacing it with the CHR$(xxx) function. Now the file is properly saved and it shows the Edit icon.  The character that was being encoded into a euro sign was 128 on line 101.  All fixed for now.

gbelly1.thumb.PNG.a91acb9239f13b1a434574d25f66e934.PNG 

gbelly2.PNG

• 5 weeks later...