IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

42 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Call tipi

You cannot call DSR subroutines like "CALL TIPI" from within XB programs. They are only available in immediate mode. 

Doing something like what Arcadeshopper suggested, combined with use of ON ERROR to handle the failure case, should get the job done. 

I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if ON ERROR handled io issues from a CALL LOAD as well .. so you could setup the error handler, attempt to load the tipi mouse driver from the TIPI. drive, and if it succeeds, set a hasTipi variable. Which you could then check to skip the CALL LINKs later.

1 hour ago, jedimatt42 said:

You cannot call DSR subroutines like "CALL TIPI" from within XB programs. They are only available in immediate mode. 

Doing something like what Arcadeshopper suggested, combined with use of ON ERROR to handle the failure case, should get the job done. 

I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if ON ERROR handled io issues from a CALL LOAD as well .. so you could setup the error handler, attempt to load the tipi mouse driver from the TIPI. drive, and if it succeeds, set a hasTipi variable. Which you could then check to skip the CALL LINKs later.

I'll run a quick test.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I apparently lost the ability to access the tipi share on my Win10 machines although I can still access it via Putty. I rebooted the router and the tipi to no avail. I've had no issues with this prior. Any thoughts as to where the problem might lie?

Today I apparently lost the ability to access the tipi share on my Win10 machines although I can still access it via Putty. I rebooted the router and the tipi to no avail. I've had no issues with this prior. Any thoughts as to where the problem might lie?

Try with the ip some routers drop dns entries after a time.. you can also try restarting the pis connection to the network or the pi itself

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Try with the ip some routers drop dns entries after a time.. you can also try restarting the pis connection to the network or the pi itself

I tried using the IP address with no luck. I don't know what a pis connection is...

I can SSH into the PI and also ftp into it using Filezilla. I checked the daemon log and it looks like it's failing to start the Samba server. Isn't that service used for connecting to Windows systems?

22 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Yes sir. It's not that terrible to do. Need a card reader, PC or laptop and follow the directions on matt's site.

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/tipipeb-installation

Yup I've done it several times before. I'll just have to back up all my tipi folders first. I'll give it a shot.

Out of curiosity though, what could have gone wrong on the tipi side?

• Like 1

Yeah if something's not starting then either troubleshoot that service by looking at the log and finding out why it's not starting or you could reimage the SD card like he is suggesting that seems like hitting a fly with a sledgehammer but if you're not up to troubleshooting a service on Linux it is the easiest solution

3 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Yeah if something's not starting then either troubleshoot that service by looking at the log and finding out why it's not starting or you could reimage the SD card like he is suggesting that seems like hitting a fly with a sledgehammer but if you're not up to troubleshooting a service on Linux it is the easiest solution

As long as I have ftp and SSH access it's no big deal. Is was nice however to have TIPI mapped to a drive letter.

Come to think of it, we had an outage about week ago, and I suspect that might have been the culprit.

If someone can tell me what's the likely broken service is on the Rpi, and can try to figure it out. As I stated earlier, the daemon log shows the smb service is not starting correctly. No other errors that I can see. Could that be it? We need input from a linux guru here :)

If you are relying on your router's DNS server, I've found in the last couple years that the convention of <hostname>.local works more consistently... why it might change? Microsoft changes what version of windows you are running every week.. Some of their mechanisms used WINS... Last I looked, samba on linux was trying to find and register with WINS (WINS is a deprecated alternative to DNS) anyway, it is possible nothing changes or broke on your PI... but a patch to Windows changed how network file share access looks for hosts.

Before reflashing, just try \\tipi.local\TIPI

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

As long as I have ftp and SSH access it's no big deal. Is was nice however to have TIPI mapped to a drive letter.

Come to think of it, we had an outage about week ago, and I suspect that might have been the culprit.

If someone can tell me what's the likely broken service is on the Rpi, and can try to figure it out. As I stated earlier, the daemon log shows the smb service is not starting correctly. No other errors that I can see. Could that be it? We need input from a linux guru here :)

Oh, I didn't see that you knew smb wasn't starting... this is necessary for the drive...

let me get some reference material...

TIPI's Samba configuration for /etc/samba/smb.conf:

[TIPI]
comment=TI-99/4A Files
path=/home/tipi/tipi_disk
public=no
browseable=Yes
writeable=Yes
only guest=no
guest ok=Yes
create mask=0644
directory mask=0755
force user=tipi

then, you should be able to force some restarting:

sudo systemctl reenable smbd
sudo systemctl restart smbd

If there are issues, they'll be in the /var/log/daemon.log, I believe... you can also

sudo systemctl status smbd

• Like 3