Jump to content
jedimatt42

TIPI Usage and Support

Recommended Posts

On 10/20/2021 at 8:01 AM, Vorticon said:

A couple of observations on file functions with TIPI and XB.

  • The defaults do not seem to be implemented. For example, OPEN #1:"TIPI.TEST", INPUT does not default to DV80,SEQUENTIAL. These have to be specified.
  • When opening an existing TIPI file for OUTPUT, it is not overwritten by the new data, again not the expected behavior. EDIT: This actually happens, but only after the file is explicitly closed (normally XB will automatically close all open files when an abnormal termination is encountered, but this is not happening with TIPI files for some reason).

 

 

I cannot reproduce this first bullet...  could this have been a symptom of the second bullet? 

 

The default record length is actually 0 if not specified for input modes, and only 80 if the file doesn't already exist and it is an output/append mode. 0 is the value of the bit for DISPLAY, and 0 is the value of the bit for SEQUENTIAL.  Other than the record length of 0, there is no way for the recipient of a PAB to know the difference between a default and an intentional mode. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update 2.26 - 2021-11-04

 

Respect PROTECT flag on a TIFILE for OPEN(append, output), SAVE, DELETE, and level 2 direct-output operations. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jedimatt42 said:

 

I cannot reproduce this first bullet...  could this have been a symptom of the second bullet? 

 

The default record length is actually 0 if not specified for input modes, and only 80 if the file doesn't already exist and it is an output/append mode. 0 is the value of the bit for DISPLAY, and 0 is the value of the bit for SEQUENTIAL.  Other than the record length of 0, there is no way for the recipient of a PAB to know the difference between a default and an intentional mode. 

 

 

I'll try to do some additional testing, but yes, it might have been related to the second bullet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jedimatt42 said:

updated sdimage for 2.26 is also up on my downloads page. In case someone is starting from scratch. 

At jedimatt42.com ?  Downloads?  I see older version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got my TIPI! It's so impressive! And it's so confusing. I wish there was a full user's manual. I've looked all through the wiki and can't find an answer to my first problem:

 

I connected to my wifi and set up my drive mappings in TIPICFG (ver. 2.26, CRUBASE 1100). But they don't show up when I look at My TIPI in my Linux browser. All I ever see are the NET and TMOUSE directories and two files, TIPICFG and TIPICFH, even after rebooting the PI and refreshing the file list in the browser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, so my drive mappings in TIPICFG are DSK1=DEV, DSK2=GAMES, DSK3=TOOLS, DSK4=MISC. So how do I copy files into one of those from my browser, which shows only NET and TMOUSE directories? (Thank you in advance for helping a confused newbie!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You create a directory in there with the name that matches...  This is probably the best overview video around... 

 

 

 

so if you mapped DSK1=DEV

then the directory TIPI.DEV. can be referenced as DSK1. 

From the tipi:9900 web interface, there is a new directory icon in the upper right row... 

The TI filesystem is case-sensative... so make a directory called 'DEV' there... then you can 

access it from your TI with that mapping you have, as DSK1.

 

repeat.. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is 'surface' level video... I don't know what your 4A background is... the 4A doesn't disk drive in the same ways as it's contemporaries... 

 

I hardly ever use DSK1-4 devices myself as I generally don't run software that needs them... for tooling around in BASIC or XB... or your own development, or just loading a Tunnels of Doom module or something... you can just use the TIPI. device, and directories within... You can find on here somewhere (or in Arcadeshopper's FAQ) the DM2K file management tool, that can work with these things directly on the 4A... there is also ForceCommand for managing files on the 4A.  

 

There is a file share hosted by the PI, called 'TIPI'... so smb://tipi/TIPI/ you can mount on your linux system and copy DSK images onto it, or just make directories and copy TIFILES files to... TIFILES is an format for individual files on a foreign filesystem as apposed to a disk image.   Weird things happen if you copy a DSK image over... TIPI will look at the volume name, and extract the individual files into TIFILES in a directory matching the image's volume name.  TIPI doesn't do sectors or spinny disk emulation. 

 

I have to get back to the day job... but clearly we need more howto material 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OKAY!!! Slowly but surely I'm getting it. I just managed to copy a TIFILE into DEV and was able to OLD and RUN it! Whew! I'm taking a break now. Thank you jedimatt42!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: the smb://tipi/TIPI thing. For cryin' out loud! I had that configured already and hadn't taken a look at it. And you're right: there the directories are! I feel stupid. Anyway, thank you again immensely. I'm getting the hang of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

did you watch this video? look at this faq?

I think I've watched every YouTube video there is on the TIPI. Maybe that's the problem. I need to take my time and absorb it all. But I just had a breakthrough, thanks to JediMatt, so I'm further on than I was before! My old brain matter isn't as absorbent as it used to be!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RykGroff said:

OKAY!!! Slowly but surely I'm getting it. I just managed to copy a TIFILE into DEV and was able to OLD and RUN it! Whew! I'm taking a break now. Thank you jedimatt42!!!

I use TIDIR for handling files on the TIPI from My Windows 10 system.  Often, I will click on a file that is still on my Windows system that may be a zip file.  Depending upon the origination of the file, the files in that system may be v9t9 or TIFILES format.  TIPI needs to have the files in TIFILES format.  The program TIDIR on a Windows system can make the conversion for you.  I do not use the web interface to the TIPI that Matt referenced.

 

Several different ways to skin the cat, you use the one that works best for you and the tools at hand.


Beery

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Several different ways to skin the cat, you use the one that works best for you and the tools at hand.

I'm still feeling it out, but getting more familiar with it. I do have TIDIR. But I have no Windows computers here. Just Macs and an HP Notebook running Linux Mint. I'm running TIDIR in DOSBox-X in Linux. It's a little strange, but it does work!

 

After JediMatt's excellent info, I think I'll just be using the TIPI.DIRECTORY.PROGRAM method of loading programs on the TI. It does make a lot more sense than the DSKx method.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RykGroff said:

 

 

After JediMatt's excellent info, I think I'll just be using the TIPI.DIRECTORY.PROGRAM method of loading programs on the TI. It does make a lot more sense than the DSKx method.

You will likely still want to have folders mapped for DSK1, DSK2, DSK3, DSK4 even if you name the directories TIPI.DSKx.

 

That way, if you encounter a program that only allows saving to a DSKx. device name, you can still save the file and not lose something you may be working on.  Some programs have a maximum buffer of DSKx.1234567890 characters (15 characters in that string) and you may not be able to save to a TIPI.NET.1234567890 that is a 19 character string.  It all depends upon how old the program is.

 

Beery

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newbie again! I now understand the directory, disk, and device structures and am successfully able to copy files to and from the TIPI. But most of the XB programs crash with file errors and when I list them I'm finding that spaces are being inserted here and there, causing the program to crash. For example: OPEN #1:"DSK1.DE",INPUT,VARIABLE 254 becomes OPEN #1:"DSK.DE",INPUT ,VARIABLE 254 (space inserted after INPUT). I can rekey these lines and get the programs to run successfully, but this can't be right. What's going on here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, RykGroff said:

Newbie again! I now understand the directory, disk, and device structures and am successfully able to copy files to and from the TIPI. But most of the XB programs crash with file errors and when I list them I'm finding that spaces are being inserted here and there, causing the program to crash. For example: OPEN #1:"DSK1.DE",INPUT,VARIABLE 254 becomes OPEN #1:"DSK.DE",INPUT ,VARIABLE 254 (space inserted after INPUT). I can rekey these lines and get the programs to run successfully, but this can't be right. What's going on here?

 

If your “becomes OPEN #1:"DSK.DE",INPUT ,VARIABLE 254” is not a typo, “DSK.DE” will look for a disk named “DE”. But, now, it has no filename, which, by itself, would cause an error.

 

...lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lee Stewart said:

 

If your “becomes OPEN #1:"DSK.DE",INPUT ,VARIABLE 254” is not a typo, “DSK.DE” will look for a disk named “DE”. But, now, it has no filename, which, by itself, would cause an error.

 

...lee

Adding to what Lee said, confirm you meant "DSK.DE" and not "DSK1.DE" as I started to look to see if the TIPI even supported DSK.DE. (note extra period) to look for an "equivalent disk label" which the TIPI Wiki suggests it does.

 

If you are writing a program, I would have likely just suggested using TIPI.DIRECTORY.FILENAME and skipping the use of DSK device names unless you are tweaking an exisiting program that may have used DSK as a device name.

 

Beery

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...