IGNORED

Atari 5200 UAV Jail bars

mtarallo

Hi Guys - I just modded my 5200 with Bryan's UAV - worked great - easy install - but I got these jail bars on the right side of the screen - any ideas what is causing that?

(see attached image)

I have another modded 5200 I got on eBay from a guy that uses the same UAV - I have the same issue - so I am assuming it is something with the chip - or something else with the installation?

Thanks

Mike

post-63721-0-29434400-1523410954_thumb.jpg

Yes, I've noticed this as well with the 5200 I modded with Bryan's UAV. I don't have these with the older board I used to use from ElectronicSentimentalities. I hadn't seen them on a CRT yet, but on my LED they aren't that pronounced and I only saw them really when I was using my Atarimax flash cart. That was when I first saw them was in the menu screen.

Is that through S-video or composite?

• Like 1

Which revision of the UAV board is it? And which version of the 5200? I've got the rev D board in my 4-port 5200 and don't have that.

I had them on a 4-port 5200 I modded with the Rev D. but it was the same one that I couldn't get to work without the 4050 still being in circuit. Interesting to see them so strong on his CRT though. Usually when I have something like this happening, it is much less visible on a CRT as opposed to LCD.

Pretty sure that isn't the case. These aren't the only two instances of this happening. Another AA member in the 8-bit forum where the UAV all started, stated he had the same issue with both the UAV and the ElectronicSentimentalities board kits in his 5200. So it could be some 5200s are more prone than others? One thing that is different between the one I did and my own, is that I completely removed the RF modulator from my personal 5200 but left it in and intact on the one I modded with the UAV.

Also everything on the UAV is crazy small SMD parts. If anything were loose and you moving things around causes them to fall off, you're hosed unless you are familiar and skilled with SMD work.

• 3 weeks later...

I get the same jails bars with the ElectronicSentimentalities kit.

you still have the RF modulator installed? Because I have the same ES kit in my 5200 and do NOT have the jailbars on my 4-port unit. But I also power modded it and removed the RF modulator. Oh...I also replaced the original +5 7805s and replaced them with DC-DC converters which, if anything would have made them show up if I didn't seem them before. But, I do NOT have these jailbars. So the fact you have them with the ES kit and I've seen at least 3 instances of them being mentioned with UAV rev D kits leads me to believe it is something with the 5200 itself.

WAIT! Doesn't the 130xe or some other similar Atari 8-bit also have these bars in the same place with older composite and s-video methods prior the UAV?

The 5200 is a mess. The 16Kx1 DRAM pulls a LOT of power during refresh and the power conditioning on the UAV apparently isn't enough to overcome it. I'm planning on coming up with some board mods to further isolate the DRAM from the supply.

The 5200 is a mess. The 16Kx1 DRAM pulls a LOT of power during refresh and the power conditioning on the UAV apparently isn't enough to overcome it. I'm planning on coming up with some board mods to further isolate the DRAM from the supply.

Interesting...as again i replaced both of the 7805s with 1amp output DC-DC converters. So perhaps if it is a power issue, I don't see them on my 5200 because I put beefier regulators in my 5200?

I will have to fire up my 5200 tonight if I can remember and check this in more detail. But I know that if I had the jailbars I would have noticed them long ago and my OCD would not have let me forget it.

I used SHIELDED cables from older RCA audio patch cables.

Keeps signals from getting into the video wires.

Use shielded going IN, one for EACH input if necessary, to the amp then to the video/s-video jack.

BARE wires act as antennas and ampliy ALL the frequencys flying around the 5200.

Remember that buzz sound you get when your audio cables aren't grounded?

I used SHIELDED cables from older RCA audio patch cables.

Keeps signals from getting into the video wires.

Use shielded going IN, one for EACH input if necessary, to the amp then to the video/s-video jack.

BARE wires act as antennas and ampliy ALL the frequencys flying around the 5200.

Remember that buzz sound you get when your audio cables aren't grounded?

I understand what you are saying, but my 5200 doesn't have these jailbars on it and I'm pretty sure I'm just using IDE ribbon cable to attach to my video out connections. I know it isn't shielded wire.