IGNORED

Anyone have a spare "Blinking Light Win" kit for the NES?

Skippy B. Coyote

I've heard these are excellent products that cure the toaster model NES's 72-pin connector woes but I had no luck when I tried ordering from Arcade Works a couple years back. When they hadn't shipped my order after 6 months of waiting I just gave up and got a refund through PayPal, and also gave up on playing the NES for two years or so since I was tired of dealing with random game freezes from the toaster model NES's flakey connector. Now after a couple years away from it I'm interested in playing the NES again, but I sure as heck don't want to deal with random game freezes again and I'd rather not pay $150+ for a composite modded NES-101 top loader that may or may not have jail bars in the picture, so I figured I'd try my luck to see if anyone here happens to have a spare Blinking Light Win kit that they'd part with.

Just shoot me a PM if you happen to have one that you'd be up for selling. :)

• 3 months later...

Yeah, the last time I tried ordering from the manufacturer was when the kit was fairly new; maybe 3 years ago. I checked their site earlier today and at the moment the stock status for the kits says "Pre-Order" so I'm guessing if I tried ordering one right now it would be another situation of waiting for months and maybe or maybe not getting one.

Edited by Jin

Never heard of this product. Interesting. I installed a new 72-pin connector (aftermarket) several years ago and have had zero issues with it. Some people say, "but it's not an OEM product! It will break!" A) The Nintendo product obviously had issues, if we're all trying to repair/replace it; and B) my replacement has been stellar.

Never heard of this product. Interesting. I installed a new 72-pin connector (aftermarket) several years ago and have had zero issues with it. Some people say, "but it's not an OEM product! It will break!" A) The Nintendo product obviously had issues, if we're all trying to repair/replace it; and B) my replacement has been stellar.

yeah and it will eventually fail, just like the originals, and then you spend 5 bucks and replace it again. the nice thing with blinking light win is that it also bypasses security

yeah and it will eventually fail, just like the originals, and then you spend 5 bucks and replace it again. the nice thing with blinking light win is that it also bypasses security

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it if it fails down the road. Easy fix. Yeah I disabled the lockout chip in mine, too.

Was that back when they were first making them? Because they ship them quickly now, last set I bought arrived within a week

Good idea! I just emailed Arcade Works and politely asked what the expected wait time for a Blinking Light Win kit is at the moment.

I wasn't so lucky with my last NES. I went through 4 different replacement 72-pin connectors and could still never get the damn thing to play a game for more than 45 minutes at a time without freezing. There's just nothing worse when it comes to the NES than playing Castlevania and finally getting to Dracula only to have a slight vibration in the floor cause the game to lock up and freeze because of that shitty connecter. Or when you've been grinding in Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior for an hour and you're just about to go save your game and the damn system freezes up.

I rage sold my NES years ago over that stupid connector and I'm still mad about it. :lol: I'd definitely like to start finally playing the NES again, but I wouldn't touch one with a stock or aftermarket connector with a 10 foot pole. A toaster NES with a Blinking Light Win kit or a composite modded NES-101 toploader are the only original hardware options I'd even consider at this point.

I really like the BLW and I too ordered mine like a year ago I guess? And it arrived within a week at least. Only issue I have and most others have with the kit is the semi death grip it has on the carts. And due to angle of the carts now sliding straight in, there isn't a ton of room to get your fingers in there to pull the carts out as easily. Still those pins will wear down a bit in time and make that process easier.

I do wish they would think about extending the cart port connector on the replacement board by another CM or 2 to make removing the games easier. That's all they need to do as there is plenty of clearance from the front loader's door to the back of the cart to do this.

Also I've tried the replacement 72pin connectors as well and they do work...but a bit. But they aren't built as well as the originals and I believe they aren't coated properly either to help with corrosion. I've not had any luck with the boiling method either...so BLW for me!

Good idea! I just emailed Arcade Works and politely asked what the expected wait time for a Blinking Light Win kit is at the moment.

I wasn't so lucky with my last NES. I went through 4 different replacement 72-pin connectors and could still never get the damn thing to play a game for more than 45 minutes at a time without freezing. There's just nothing worse when it comes to the NES than playing Castlevania and finally getting to Dracula only to have a slight vibration in the floor cause the game to lock up and freeze because of that shitty connecter. Or when you've been grinding in Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior for an hour and you're just about to go save your game and the damn system freezes up.

I rage sold my NES years ago over that stupid connector and I'm still mad about it. :lol: I'd definitely like to start finally playing the NES again, but I wouldn't touch one with a stock or aftermarket connector with a 10 foot pole. A toaster NES with a Blinking Light Win kit or a composite modded NES-101 toploader are the only original hardware options I'd even consider at this point.

Yikes sorry you've had to go through all that!

The other option if you can swing the money is to get a top loader with a Hi-DEF NES kit installed. Again not cheap at all, but man what a picture! My toaster has a BLW and the Hi-Def NES kit in it that I installed. I'm still not as jazzed about playing NES games as say Atari, and Sega but it does make it nice to plug in Batman or my flash cart and just fire up something from time to time.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got my BLW about a year or so ago. Arrived pretty quick. Best decision I ever made. Yes, the cart is not easy to get in and out, but the simple solution to that is an Everdrive N8. Put the cart in once, and never have to worry about it ever again. LOVE this combination.