IGNORED

Would this stepdown voltage converter work in the UK?

Spector

If I were to buy a USA Colecovision power supply with the intention of using it in Britain, would this stepdown converter make it safe to operate in the UK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stepdown-voltage-converter-version-240V/dp/B000H9HU5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523517373&sr=8-1&keywords=voltage+converter+us+to+uk&dpID=41ULDTS0rPL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

If you have a better stepdown converter to recommend, then let me know :)

Edited by Spector

As far as I understand, the US Colecovision supply is rated at 120 VAC, 0.25 A on the primary side which equals 30 VA. The first stepdown converter you linked to is rather at max 45 VA which should be enough. The second one you linked to is rated to a maximum of 100W which is more than enough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

why not just mod your colecovision to use a more useful power supply rather than that useless brick that is the legit thing. i dont know about us power supplies but i had a colecovision power supply that died which i wanted to repair. upon getting the thing apart it was filled with grey epoxy, so ended up throwing it out.

i have since modded mine to use a internal powersupply that outputs 5v 1A, to do that though you need 5v ram and a F18A failing that you can get a replacement one that uses a din sicket that is adiquate, someone is selling them on ebay for an inflated price i cant recall the part number at the moment but if you look up the part number it is a fraction of the cost that guy is selling them for.

if that is of interest i could look the part number out for you?

no that would be a 3d print job which i could do for you i guess, the proper coleco plug is not manufactured any more. the power supply i was mentioning was a din socket so would require a hole drilling in the case

the power supply part number is AP12UV-01

it outputs +5, +33 (not needed), +12, -5

ther does not appear to be any on ebay at the moment though but you will probably get one under £10 however, google it, ther are some pictures

it does 100 - 240 ac input so your good whatever voltage

• Like 1

For that matter if Spector buys a Colecovision from the US with power supply, he could cut off the cable and wire a modern power supply like the one you mention or any other that outputs +5V, -5V and +12V, without needing to drill holes for new power connections. Actually if using the old brick with a step-down is not recommended, I would probably try the cut off and rewire approach.