IGNORED

Billy Mitchell TG Banned, Scores Removed

VectorGamer

• 1 month later...

Mere 5 minutes into it and i found myself being entertained by watching just how bored the bald bloke with a beard, sat by the pillar, looked.

I'm giving it another 5 minutes just to play a similar game when camera pans out to show rest of the audience.

Stuck it out till the 13 minute mark..Camera stayed on Billy...boo!

So far? Billy has some papers next to him which he occasionally picks up and shakes as 'proof' ...

People who doubt Todd are keyboard warriors who don't go to Retro events...

And brief bits of nervous laughter from the group assembled.

Edited by Lost Dragon

I couldn't sleep last night..so ended up watching the entire thing.

Billy rambles on an awful lot,kept picking up those papers and referenced all the evidence he had to prove his case and there had been a lot of things going on that people were not aware of...

Personally...if that's the case, he should of used the presentation to showcase what exactly was in those documents he kept picking up and shaking.

Had them projected onto a big screen, have people discuss what was contained within them.

At the start,he asked people not to record his presentation, just take still shots only, like that was going to happen...

He said people could ask him any questions... yet i sat through over an hour of this and never saw anyone ask him anything.

If this was really his 1st step on the road to clear his name, it was pretty much a massive missed opportunity.

It just came across as Billy Mitchell firmly believes Billy Mitchell...

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 2

What evidence could he have? It seemed like a pretty open and shut case to me.

He kept referencing this evidence he had,everything in his words had been documented and turning to the small pile of documents he had next to him, along with saying if the evidence Todd Rogers had was this big, the evidence Billy had was t-h-i-s big...

So,i'm sat there thinking, right so any minute now, he's going to show all this evidence..the emails etc the general public never saw, engineering reports, etc etc and it'll be open to scrutiny and discussion by the assembled group of people and Billy will let folks make their own minds up,based on what he's now revealed...

Not a damn thing.

Not even a Q+A session...

So why say at the start, you can ask me anything, if nobody got the chance to ask anything?.

For all we know the papers he kept grabbing could be the dry cleaning bills for that white suit :-)

He talked of video footage that was cut and ended up on the cutting room floor would be shown in a future video..why wasn't it part of his presentation?

Edited by Lost Dragon

The other thing i took away from it, Billy talking about no online presence, no Face Book etc...

That line about people hating on Todd Rogers being 'keyboard warriors' who didn't go to Retro events...

Man,that was a comment straight out of so many UK forums over the years.

If i had gone into that video not knowing who Billy was or what the issue in hand was...

And all that was shown was Billy rambling on about how he had all this evidence, but then didn't show any of it and him making that statement..

I would of just assumed he was yet another attention seeking individual from the Retro community, that was making bold claims, yet shed away from backing them up with an credible evidence, despite being given the perfect opportunity to set things straight once and for all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aand is the "Class of '81" not considered official arcade hardware? Because it looks like an official product to me... icon_ponder.gif

Class of 1981 is considered to be arcade hardware, but scores achieved on it for Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man, or Pac-Man are entered as scores achieved on the Class of 1981 versions, not the original standalone games.

It's not so much a question of what's considered official, but rather original (though there is definitely overlap between the two). Kinda like how a Donkey Kong score submitted on videotape that appears to have been performed on an emulator isn't eligible for entry as a record achieved on original arcade hardware.

• Like 2

What is the joke? I don't understand.

Billy Mitchell was judged to have submitted high score record attempts on Donkey Kong that appeared to have been achieved on an emulated version of the game as opposed to the original arcade game hardware. This led to him being banned for life from competitive play within Twin Galaxies.

My comment was in reference to that: he was playing Ms. Pac-Man, but it wasn't on an original Ms. Pac-Man cabinet. This wasn't a record attempt or anything so in a sense it didn't matter, but the chance to point out the non-original hardware he was playing on was too good to pass up.

• Like 1

Galaga from Class of '81 definitely deserves its own entry because there are obvious differences in the way that Galaga plays on an original machine versus the Class of '81 edition. I have never heard of similar play issues with Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-Man as implemented on those machines (except the continue function, which is irrelevant to high scoring), If you compare original Pac or Ms. Pac to Class of '81, the differences are in the physical characteristics of the machines (leaf switch v. micro switch, monitor size).

I can't believe Billy is still trying to stick to his guns on this. I don't think he realizes how airtight the case against him is; if he were caught on video hooking a MAME machine up to a recorder and loading up a save state with his final score just before submitting it, the case against him would only be incrementally stronger than it is right now.

Or, maybe he does know, and he just figures that enough of his sycophants are as immune to evidence as flat earthers, so he can just put up this charade about redeeming himself and continue to reap the benefits of "being Billy Mitchell."

I heard that recently he was streaming DK for several hours straight, but the best he could score was 600k and change. Great score for most mere mortals, but still little more than half of his claimed achievement.

• Like 2

Galaga from Class of '81 definitely deserves its own entry because there are obvious differences in the way that Galaga plays on an original machine versus the Class of '81 edition. I have never heard of similar play issues with Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-Man as implemented on those machines (except the continue function, which is irrelevant to high scoring), If you compare original Pac or Ms. Pac to Class of '81, the differences are in the physical characteristics of the machines (leaf switch v. micro switch, monitor size).

Oh, but it is. The high score entry screen does not indicate how many creditontinues were used. Pretty much anyone with perseverance and a mild skill level (and tons of jingle in their pockets) can hit a million and roll the score... :evil:

Class of 1981 versions of Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man, and Pac-Man vs. the original releases for the purposes of competition is a moot point as far as Twin Galaxies is concerned, anyway. Each of those games' scores are already tracked independently.

From what I recall hearing, the Class of 1981 games aren't running the original code - the games are essentially ports, and, even if they were, they'd still be doing it on radically different hardware to the originals. Keeping the score tracks separate makes sense in this case, even if I might be wrong about that.

Class of 1981 versions of Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man, and Pac-Man vs. the original releases for the purposes of competition is a moot point as far as Twin Galaxies is concerned, anyway. Each of those games' scores are already tracked independently.

From what I recall hearing, the Class of 1981 games aren't running the original code - the games are essentially ports, and, even if they were, they'd still be doing it on radically different hardware to the originals. Keeping the score tracks separate makes sense in this case, even if I might be wrong about that.

What hardware is actually in the Class of '81 machines? The older tube cabs from the early 2000s before they went lcd look pretty real.

What hardware is actually in the Class of '81 machines? The older tube cabs from the early 2000s before they went lcd look pretty real.

I have to give Namco credit: they did do a very good job with the first iteration of the 'Class of...' games - but Namco didn't actually develop the game. More on that further down.

As for the hardware, the MAME driver lists it as the following:

CPU: Z8S18020VSC ZiLOG Z180 (20MHz part)

Graphics: CY37256P160-83AC x 2 (Ultra37000 CPLD family - 160 pin TQFP, 256 Macrocells, 83MHz speed)

MEMORY: CY7C199-15VC 32K x 8 Static RAM x 3 (or equivalent ISSI IS61C256AH-15J)

OSC: 73.728MHz

EEPROM: 93LC46A 128 x 8-bit 1K microwire compatible Serial EEPROM

(There's more, but from here on down it's getting into things like diodes and volume pots.)

So the hardware is pretty different to the original games - but what's interesting is how it runs the code.

I was wrong about Class of 1981 not emulating the games: it does, but the game code has been reverse-engineered and changed a) to accommodate the menu system, and b) out of necessity to make three games that originally ran on similar-but-not-the-same hardware all run on a single Z180-based platform. There's a good description of some of the major changes from the developer (Cosmodog) here; see this link and click the Ms. Pac-Man icon at the top to view it in its original format.

It's a really interesting approach to how this could have been done almost 20 years ago while keeping to something at least in the lineage of the original hardware.

• Like 1