IGNORED

Billy Mitchell TG Banned, Scores Removed

VectorGamer

4 hours ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

Some of us jump barrels. Some of us blast aliens. Some of us munch pellets. Some of us get carpel tunnel at 40. It's what we do... ?️

Fair point, and there's nothing wrong with gaming to the grave.  If I'm buried, please let it be in a Cube Quest cabinet.

But when you've based practically your entire adult life around them...  Well, there's more to life out there.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Fair point, and there's nothing wrong with gaming to the grave.  If I'm buried, please let it be in a Cube Quest cabinet.

But when you've based practically your entire adult life around them...  Well, there's more to life out there.

Yeah but somebody's gotta do it

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 10:44 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

I know. I been doing a lot more living life lately. ????

It's like every now and then I'll get some downtime and plug in the Atari. Switch is still my favorite system, but I haven't played i in like six months... ?

I just dumped my entire PS3 collection and a fat stack of Wii-U games off at Game X Change last night. Though I could have probably gotten a better deal for it at a crack house! ?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Billy Mitchell’s Old Website Now Debunks His Controversial Pac-Man High Scores

Perfectpacman.com, Mitchell’s old domain name, is now being used to debunk the Pac-Man and Donkey Kong player’s contentious records

https://kotaku.com/billy-mitchell-s-old-website-now-debunks-his-controvers-1847712280

This piece of shit is now suing Karl Jobst down in his own country for his so called hit piece on his amazing character that he has supposedly smirched.  This as we know is that major youtuber who broke the WATA fraud and other big stories.  He did a very well researched, reviewed, and pulled story on this asswipe and made it clear what was what, and baby billy didn't like it.  I imagine with all the suits he has against him looking to end in financial losses he's looking to sue anyone hoping to get some dent of his future financial ass pounding to come.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

This piece of shit is now suing Karl Jobst down in his own country for his so called hit piece on his amazing character that he has supposedly smirched.  This as we know is that major youtuber who broke the WATA fraud and other big stories.  He did a very well researched, reviewed, and pulled story on this asswipe and made it clear what was what, and baby billy didn't like it.  I imagine with all the suits he has against him looking to end in financial losses he's looking to sue anyone hoping to get some dent of his future financial ass pounding to come.

you, um... not a fan, I gather?  ?

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Nope, I don't even follow the guys bs in general, but when it does pop up it seems like one more disgusting level of stupidity deeper than the next.  Just fed up with hearing about the clown.

This is about where I am with his antics, but I do have to admit to having finally watched the following video on the advice of someone who, when I stated my reticence towards doing so, said, "no, really - you gotta watch this; he's failing spectacularly at brownnosing the judge."

I honestly cannot recall the last time I saw such an obviously-insincere, obsequious little shit try something like this.  With a judge, no less.  What a complete pud.

• Like 2

@x=usr(1536) I'm familiar, I watched that clip before making that comment.  The fact that judged handled him like that was magnificent, wasn't rude, but totally shut down every avenue of BS and Billy couldn't even control himself you could see the melt down in his mind brewing and he couldn't do a thing about it.  That clip will be good ammo for further abuses that come up in courts.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

update, looks like Billy won:

https://portersimon.com/its-on-like-donkey-kong/

https://www.sierrasun.com/opinion/columns/law-review-its-on-like-donkey-kong/

By ruling in favor of Mr. Mitchell, the court of appeal issued an apropos affirmation that defamatory speech recklessly devoid of truth will find no shelter under the First Amendment. 

later

clarification of the above post:

For slightly more balanced information about this Appellate Court decision from October, I'd recommend reading the decision yourself instead of just the rather one-sided "opinion" article above.  You can find the full decision at: https://law.justia.com/cases/california/court-of-appeal/2021/b308889.html

In particular note, that while the article posted above is not clear on it, this was not an actual final judgement on the facts of the case itself.  Instead this was an affirmation by the court of appeal of the trial court's denial of Twin Galaxies’ special motion to strike under the strategic lawsuits against public participation statute (anti-SLAPP motion).  Basically it means the case can continue towards trial instead of immediately being struck down as essentially meritless with no chance to succeed.

later

Not a lawyer or Holiday Inn Express guy here, but I feel like, on the legal merits, Mitchell will eventually "win."  What that win is, I'm not really sure.  I suspect he will be able to successfully claim that TG cannot simply brand him a cheater in public, given that for a number of reasons, the very hobby they all have is entirely contrived, with contrived rules and regulations, and they have no proof that would hold up in a court of law to disprove Mitchell's claims just as much as he cannot prove them.  You'd think they would just settle this already.

• 1 month later...

There are so many others, more deserving of recognition. I understand they were young guys and no one really cared about scores back then. Well, gamers cared and some of us looked up to these guys. Frauds. that's all I can say.

That's why I'll never understand all the hooplah for dk scores. "Donkey Kong Sucks!" And his buddy with Dragster times, Dragster? LMMFAO. One of the worst games ever.

I choose to instead think that the real MVPs of competitive video games are the fighting game players. Human vs Human, no BS. Alex Valle and Ben Cureton were a couple of class act people if you need someone to look up to. The whole early West Coast FGC of the 90s had a few players. Just steer clear of Mr Wizard. I never liked that dude anyways. He was super arrogant. turns out he was super pedo as well.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Slikatel said:

There are so many others, more deserving of recognition. I understand they were young guys and no one really cared about scores back then. Well, gamers cared and some of us looked up to these guys. Frauds. that's all I can say.

That's why I'll never understand all the hooplah for dk scores. "Donkey Kong Sucks!" And his buddy with Dragster times, Dragster? LMMFAO. One of the worst games ever.

I choose to instead think that the real MVPs of competitive video games are the fighting game players. Human vs Human, no BS. Alex Valle and Ben Cureton were a couple of class act people if you need someone to look up to. The whole early West Coast FGC of the 90s had a few players. Just steer clear of Mr Wizard. I never liked that dude anyways. He was super arrogant. turns out he was super pedo as well.

Largely in agreement.  I feel like the true record-setting didn't begin until the fad exploded (mainly thanks to King of Kong), but who even knows about most of those? 

Mitchell is unhinged, for sure, but the damage to the spirit of these scores IMO was done unnecessarily by the new Twin Galaxies owners.  I mean, let's be serious here, MOST of the old scoreboard's scores, even if legit, were very difficult to fully prove.  Especially once emulation entered the picture 20+ years ago.  The in person competitions, record runs were legit, but obviously those were few and far between.  Not to mention how many potentially record setting runs were done in not by the player's failures but the aged electronics.  When it came to TG, "referees" such as Robert M were tasked with reviewing nonsensical numbers of submitted videos, from which none could be verified as having been unaided by modern electronics.  Even further back, records achieved at the nascent of the industry were usually completely unverifiable and undocumented.  Infamously Steve Saunders submitted phony scores and I'm sure he wasn't alone. 

Back to my point, I kinda wished they just decided to "retire" the old scorebook rather than basically dump anything without "concrete" evidence.  Sadly, this whole brawl has pretty well made a mockery of the entire niche community, a cruel irony as the new TG owners were seeking to restore and preserve it.  Maybe the old guard were a bunch of frauds?  But they fostered something that did not exist.  Moreover, competitive gamers have largely vanquished their original records anyway, so throwing them out really has little affect.

• Like 3

I agree with all that. Again, thats just why I prefer tournament setup. Who is the best here this year, right now. 

I realize people will still play games for high scores and over all records and fastest times, I just think we put too much glory behind those records. And you could never set up and organize tournaments for every game ever made. Also, I'm not taking anything away from all of the truly amazing, rule bending and game breaking feats people have accomplished in speed runs and high scoring, Im just saying tournaments are hard to use save states in, lol. Or even worry about different setups if everyone is playing on the same thing its fair. Ive been in tournaments with subpar controls or even older revisions where attacks were not the same as I knew them (Ahem, GGA's MK4). But, if everyone is playing on that its fair. There was also the "Professional" element of being prepared to play any version with any possible control problems, its just part of the game.

Like right now, have a DK tournament. whoever has the highest score for their run wins. Would Mitchell even show up? no? then who gives a shit about his high score set at home on video. There is an element to traveling, doing it live, under pressure and possible head games from other players, man. Doing it at home over and over and over and over until you get it is kind of not the same thing, IMHO. To me, its just practice, and doesn't really matter. Thats why that whole TG referee shit was nonsense. Should have had tournaments. Not random "referees" coming from outta nowhere like parakeet skeet to verify stuff.

The FGC equivalent is the juggle combo artist. They have very awesome and intricate juggle combo vids that they make that are truly impressive and beautiful to watch, pure "amaze-balls". but that doesn't mean they would win a tournament, because it not the same as doing it in a live match against another person.

Edited by Slikatel
  • Like 1

I agree, the 80's arcade games usually don't make for great competitive tournaments, unless you artificially construct them to score in time runs or whatever.  Record runs take, in some cases, 24+ hours, nobody wants to watch that.  You are correct, as most classic arcades and small conventions prefer to have tournaments involving high scores within a reasonably short time limit, to make a competition of it.  I personally loathe fighting games, and watching a tournament for them, like those for sports games, is a painful watch for me.  But many local game stores do them, and I support their efforts.  They are certainly the most popular among the target age group.

The "old" Mitchell era records from the old TG scoreboard were in reality followed by next to nobody.  Sure there is a sub culture and whatnot but it's tiny, so so tiny.  Chasing Ghosts was a great film, but I felt King of Kong was dumb yet it was a big hit and literally brought widespread attention to high scores overnight.  Nobody cared before that.  Billy Mitchell was basically unknown before that movie.  I don't think the records were ever really glorified beyond the faint marketing of Walter Day, who like the Richie Knucklez, Joel West, Billy Mitchell, Steve Wiebe, etc. only did so to get a bit of notoriety.  Maybe they were not fully truthful, but that's Americana.  If you go back to the 18th and early 19th centuries, that was what America was, built often on "legends" in popular culture which usually bent the truth.  Look at Todd Rogers, who by most accounts, is someone that classic game fans enjoyed to have around.  He is friendly, and whether his scores/records were entirely accurate, all who knew him 40 years ago as now must admit the guy could play those games better than nearly anyone they met.  Sadly, Todd has been "canceled" and vilified by the cancel culturalists on-line, many of whom do not show up to classic game expos. 

Again, I just find what the "truth seekers" have done to be hypocritical and flat out detrimental to classic gaming.  No good has come of it whatsoever.  Congrats to them. 

• Like 1