IGNORED

"Pickle" (2K Assembly) W.I.P ?

easmith

This is a bit of a long shot , but here goes....

When I was a kid in the early 80s we used to play a neighborhood game called "Pickle" , or "Hotbox." Basically was 2 bases with two throwers , and 1 or more runners trying to steal bases. I assumed no one else ever played it , but apparently I was wrong!

http://www.gameskidsplay.net/games/ball_games/pickle.htm

Anyway I thought it might make for a simple but possibly fun game ( in the early 2K Atari mold) , although I know Sports -type games are questionable on the 2600. Don't know if there is a game like this exactly anywhere.

Anyway, I thought I would share the Prototype and see if there is any interest at all so I can decide whether or not to pursue it.

One of the things that is difficult is that this is a 2 player only game, so it is difficult for me to test game play . If anyone has someone that they could play with I would appreciate feedback (my wife is not interested !).

Specifically , this is the main challenge:

The speed of the throws and the runner are crucial to get right so that it is neither too hard to steal bases nor too easy . It is impossible to test this by myself.

it is pretty self explanatory except for :

1. The runner must be tagged with the ball while off base. Then the players switch roles AND MUST ALSO SWITCH JOYSTICKS.

2. While throwing, if the joystick is pressed up or down, the top and bottom throwers, respectively , will return to their bases. Otherwise they will stay in place.

3. Throwers cannot cross the midway line.

4. Thrower cannot stall------ must throw every 20 seconds

5. Runner must steal a base every 60 seconds

6. First one to steal 10 bases wins.

7. The throws are directed toward the opposite player but not always accurate and you might need to move slightly to catch them .

A future development could be to add random errant throws .

This is either kinda cool or terrible I can't tell ( but please don't say terrible:) ) . It's cool for me because it reminds me of a childhood game.

post-63151-0-12741300-1523576828.png

Edited by easmith
  • Like 3

Thanks . Yes , 2 player only. That is why it is hard for me to test it.

I fear it will prove very hard to get the timing right if not impossible but it might work out . One idea is that the thrower can opt for a faster throw by pushing toward the target base, but that will have a chance of being “wild “. This will allow the runner to be tagged out even if he has a large lead . For such a graphically simple game the logic is pretty tricky for game play to be interesting .

I think I have it a little better now I think --adjusted the throw speed.

Throwers now return to base vertically as well as horizontally also if joystick pulled toward base while throwing. Still a few bugs ( ball can get "stuck in the gutter!") . Still plan on adding random errant throws also . Last version until if / when more ready for prime time.

Edited by easmith

One of the things that is difficult is that this is a 2 player only game, so it is difficult for me to test game play .

We are currently discussing some controller mapping improvements for Stella. I think it would help if you could control both players with the same keys. Right?

And respect for going Assembler! :thumbsup:

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

We are currently discussing some controller mapping improvements for Stella. I think it would help if you could control both players with the same keys. Right?

And respect for going Assembler! :thumbsup:

I don't think that would help here unless I am misunderstanding what you mean . The problem is that the runner should not know when the throw is about to happen. Need 2 brains I'm afraid.

My "Alien Attack" game was assembly also . i just happened to have taken a course in assembly way back when. I have never investigated Batari Basic but perhaps I should.

Some Updates.

The runner is now limited to a maximum initial lead -off toward the destination base.

There are random "wild" throws.

I think the speeds are getting closer...

Again, first to 20 pts wins. Press toward base while throwing will return thrower towards base.

There is a bug I am having trouble fixing where the ball occasionally gets stuck in a parallel universe and the collision with player is not detected.....

Again, if anyone can test with a second player , any feedback would be appreciated..

ES

post-63151-0-93353400-1524852615_thumb.png

Edited by easmith

My partner and I are having a retro gaming night on Thursday, and we plan on giving your game a try then. I'll post some feedback afterwards.

cool! Here is the latest version. The description of the new features is in the "Homebrew Discussion" forum.

Runner can now "fall" and throws can be wild.

Edited by easmith

Made some additional improvements.

-fixed scoring to increment by 1 and timers to reset to correct value ( missing carry clears were causing timer reset to 13 and 61 instead of 12 and 60 , and score to inc by 2.

- changed throw timer to 12 seconds

- no longer need to swap controllers

- timers don't start until ball is picked up

- first to 11 wins

post-63151-0-79607300-1524678246_thumb.jpg

1. The runner must be tagged with the ball while off base. Then the players switch roles

2. While throwing, if the joystick is pressed up or down, the top and bottom throwers, respectively , will return to their bases after throwing. Otherwise they will stay in place.

3. Throwers cannot cross the midway line.

4. Thrower cannot stall------ must throw every 12 seconds

5. Runner must steal a base every 60 seconds

6. First one to steal 11 bases win

7. runner's initial lead off toward destination base is limited while that base's thrower holds ball

8. Occasional Random throwing errors will happen.

9. Runner will occasionally "fall" ( color will turn black and will be immobilized).

Edited by easmith