IGNORED

Sega Ages Switch: M2's Sega 3D Classics line coming to the Switch.

Atariboy

Here you go, sweetheart. This one is just for you:

6000198484042.jpg

You're in such a good mood lately, Austin.

Anywho, I don't mind bars...strip bars. Guffaw.

But seriously I have no issue with bars as long as the picture size is good and ratio is close enough to the original. And like everyone else, the marquee art is just a huge hell no. Namco ruined many a classic complilotion with those..and the lack of an option to turn them off.

The Switch is looking closer and closer to finding its way to my house this Christmas.

• Like 2

Virtua Racing :)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-22-sega-and-m2-are-bringing-virtua-racing-to-the-switch

Not too big of a surprise with this one. M2 had started work on this for the 3DS and gotten quite a ways through it when it was a leading candidate for winning one of their fan polls, before it ultimately lost out. So not only was it familiar territory for them, but it also probably was nagging at them a bit that they hadn't wrapped it up.

Hopefully this doesn't mean that Turbo Outrun has to wait in the hope that there's a 2nd round of these (Another game they're familiar with thanks to a Japanese exclusive 3DS release). As neat as Outrun with all the M2 bells and whistles and the first truly arcade perfect home conversion of Virtua Racing are, it's really fresh territory like Turbo Outrun that I want to see the most.

Three racers out of 15 releases in wave 1 doesn't seem inordinate to me when they're such a big part of Sega's arcade heritage, so I'm crossing my fingers we belatedly get a M2 port of Turbo Outrun sooner rather than later. Still four more games left to announce out of wave 1.

• Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Master System)
  • Columns II (Arcade)
  • Gain Ground (Arcade)
  • Outrun (Arcade)
  • Phantasy Star (Master System)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
  • Space Harrier (Arcade)
  • Thunder Force III (Genesis)
  • Thunder Force IV (Genesis)
  • Virtua Racing (Arcade)
Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

I'm wondering about the added content from the various home ports, too.

If it was anyone else other than M2, I'd automatically dismiss such a notion. But with M2 behind the reigns, it really wouldn't shock me to see a selection of tracks included here that were lifted from old console versions.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Incidentally, I believe Virtua Fighter 1 was also started by M2 when it was a top 3 candidate in an old poll that Sega ran in Japan.

As I recall, it started lagging behind early on so didn't progress as far as Virtua Racing did (Perhaps 15% instead of VR's 50%). But it's a possible look into what's around the corner considering that it rates well in fan polls, Virtua Racing runs on the same hardware, and M2 has some familiarity with its inner workings thanks to starting on a 3DS conversion of it.

While I personally would skip it, I imagine it would be a popular choice (We've never had an arcade perfect home port) and a somewhat easier one for M2 compared to some other in-demand games.

Edited by Atariboy

I really hope we'll see more arcade versions such as Virtua Fighter, SEGA Rally, The House of the Dead and Virtual-On - Joy-cons would be perfect for the latter! :love:
And it's also time for some Saturn games to be finally re-released: Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Die Hard Arcade (one of my all-time favorites) minus the licensing... And I know Guardian Heroes was released on the Xbox 360 but I never got that system.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a bit confused by the lack of Golden Axe or Streets of Rage titles, personally... but then, I have a million versions of these on various consoles.

Still waiting for the day that Sega finally releases Golden Axe: The Return of Death Adder for a home system. And the first HOTD (the Saturn one is too expensive). And why not, Dragon Force.

• Like 1

Golden Axe 1,2,3 and Streets of Rage 1,2,3 are in the Genesis Collection. Only one of those was an arcade game.

We might was well ask for Golden Axe The Duel if we want to see some rarities, though I'm not super excited about that or Death Adder except to complete the set.

Dragon Force would be easy to reimagine as a free to play character collector game like Fire Emblem Heroes, so be careful what you wish for. :-)

• Like 1

Golden Axe 1,2,3 and Streets of Rage 1,2,3 are in the Genesis Collection. Only one of those was an arcade game.

We might was well ask for Golden Axe The Duel if we want to see some rarities, though I'm not super excited about that or Death Adder except to complete the set.

Dragon Force would be easy to reimagine as a free to play character collector game like Fire Emblem Heroes, so be careful what you wish for. :-)

My bad, I missed the Genesis Collection, that looks like a very good pack. I still enjoy Gunstar Heroes and the Sega Vintage Collection packs on Xb360 / Xbone, but am very glad they're available on Switch also, hopefully the options are plentiful on this collection. Nice that they included Landstalker, Beyond Oasis, Ristar, etc, good list.

As to GA...Ohh man, if you wouldn't be excited about Death Adder... you and I have VERY different tastes in Brawlers! The graphics, the character choices, the sound effects on this, just love this game. Play it on Mame often, love finding it at arcades, loved watching people play it all the way through back when I worked at an arcade (wonderful ending battles!). The Duel, I kind of enjoyed on Saturn, very nice animations. But it kind of plays (to me) like Galaxy Fight in that I end up only winning by employing a strategy of severe turtle-ing, which isn't all that fun. Practically any chances you take are punished too severely, rewarding only defense and conservative play, at least for me. OTOH, it is possible if not outright likely that I just suck at them. :P

• Like 1

As to GA...Ohh man, if you wouldn't be excited about Death Adder... you and I have VERY different tastes in Brawlers! The graphics, the character choices, the sound effects on this, just love this game. Play it on Mame often, love finding it at arcades, loved watching people play it all the way through back when I worked at an arcade (wonderful ending battles!). The Duel, I kind of enjoyed on Saturn, very nice animations. But it kind of plays (to me) like Galaxy Fight in that I end up only winning by employing a strategy of severe turtle-ing, which isn't all that fun. Practically any chances you take are punished too severely, rewarding only defense and conservative play, at least for me. OTOH, it is possible if not outright likely that I just suck at them. :P

Both Death Adder and The Duel are so cookie-cutter, similar to many many other very similar games, that even if they were awesome, I don't think I'd be able to appreciate them. Sounds like I should try Death Adder to see if I can find the appeal though; I don't think I've ever given it a real chance. Thanks for the recommendation.

The Genesis Collection on Switch is a no-brainer, I bought it sight unseen, just like I will with the upcoming Atari collection. Switch is a great retrogame toy.

Both Death Adder and The Duel are so cookie-cutter, similar to many many other very similar games, that even if they were awesome, I don't think I'd be able to appreciate them. Sounds like I should try Death Adder to see if I can find the appeal though; I don't think I've ever given it a real chance. Thanks for the recommendation.

Most welcome! You may not be in the "I heart Brawlers" camp then, and you're not alone. I personally find most platformers (hop & bop) to be similar & they're not games I tend to buy; since they're not my bag I kind of see them all in the same light (and as such I realize I'm missing out on a lot of great games, c'est la vie). I recognize the repetitiveness of a lot of these brawler games, and their similarities, but I still love them. I completely heart Die Hard Arcade, every game on the Capcom Beat 'em up Bundle, Double Dragon / Double Dragon Neon, Castle Crashers, Alien vs Predator (Capcom Arcade), Final Fight, Final Fight 3, Renegade, Combatribes, all the Streets of Rages and Golden Axes, Gaia Warriors, Sengoku series, TMNT, Battletoads, the Simpsons, I just eat all of them up. That said... Golden Axe: Return of Death Adder might be my actual favorite of them all. Partly because I've always loved Golden Axe, partly because I love brawlers...but partly because it's completely awesome :) YMMV of course, but definitely at least worth a few minutes of your time.

It's up there on a level with Streets of Rage Remake, Castle Crashers, AvP, Die Hard Arcade, and Double Dragon Neon in my books. If Sega continues to forsake me and if I come into a windfall, I may well end up with the full arcade cabinet in my house someday (to my gf's horror). :)

Edited by Curious Sofa
  • Like 1