IGNORED

Sega Ages Switch: M2's Sega 3D Classics line coming to the Switch.

Atariboy

that's a bummer to hear- i may hold off, then, on purchasing until someone braver than I picks it up.  :)  I was considering grabbing a new game to play a little bit while I'm out-of-state working this weekend.

Thinking about getting 'My Friend Pedro' at some point.

1 hour ago, NE146 said:

When is Herzog Zwei coming out? I have so many ways to play it right now but I'm willing to throw them money if it comes out on the Switch

I would assume soon. Here are some fun retro reviews

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sega-ages-herzog-zwei-announced-switch.108529/

Give me Panzer Dragoon Zwei instead please. ?

• Like 3

Now that I have it, yes, I will shut my pie hole about the colors.  This thing is just glorious, wonderful.  Looks great, plays even better, can't be happier. :)

Been a long time since I got a 1st place finish in a race (I enjoy racing games but am not very good at them); got 1st place on Big forest on my third try - really enjoyed the silly victory animation spot in HD, with the throwing of the baseball cap at the end.

So glad they made this, and so glad they finally released it in the US eShop. 

Banner-Switch-Sega-VirtuaRacing.jpg

Virtua Racing Switch pic.jpg

Virtua Racing Very concerned looking ladies Japanese version.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Good review, enjoyed...and learned!  I didn't know Panzer Dragoon was getting a Switch Remake!  It looks wonderful....but it's not M2 I don't believe.  Should I temper my expectations, even though the trailer had my heart bursting through my chest?

9 minutes ago, Curious Sofa said:

Should I temper my expectations, even though the trailer had my heart bursting through my chest?

Yes. The studio working on it is a bit of an unknown and based on what I've seen and heard from the trailer, the game seems to be lacking a bit of the soul of the original. The new, shiny coat of paint is neat, but if they can't nail the proper feel of the game (the current character movement, cursor movement, sound and visual feedback), then it's a lost cause.

Sorry to come off so negative, but these games are some of my favorites from that era and I still go back to them regularly. I guess the point is, it's wise to temper your expectations. I know I am. :)

• Like 1

Panzer Dragoon was good, but had a ropey frame rate and chunky graphics, in other words, not as good as we remember it. A remake is going to be tough to nail. 

I haven't seen it in a while so I can't speak to "soul," but I have a feeling Orta (on the Xbox) is smoother and more fun than the original, despite not having the 1970s TV theme music soundtrack. 

16 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I haven't seen it in a while so I can't speak to "soul," but I have a feeling Orta (on the Xbox) is smoother and more fun than the original, despite not having the 1970s TV theme music soundtrack. 

Orta is to the first Panzer Dragoon what Super Mario World is to the original Super Mario Bros. It is bigger and better in every way, but due to its added complexity (harder bosses, new mechanics, longer length--three hours as opposed to 30 minutes, etc), it requires a much greater commitment to see it through to the end. It may be the pinnacle of the series, but it doesn't make the previous games obsolete (even with their perceived flaws).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Austin said:

Orta is to the first Panzer Dragoon what Super Mario World is to the original Super Mario Bros. 

I'd say it's more like what Super Mario Bros was to the original Mario Bros.

I consider PD Orta perfect - it is, IMO, the best rail shooter ever made. The earlier games were good of course, but they were a lot simpler. I am very interested in the Switch remake of the original because it'll at least update the visuals, which were kind of chunky even at the time. I remember choosing between the PS1 and Saturn based on games like Panzer Dragoon vs. WipEout, and graphically at least, PD wasn't really the showcase for the Saturn that Sega wanted it to be. PDO definitely was, though, for the original Xbox (not that many people cared at the time; it was no longer a popular genre), and its HD update makes it one of the best looking games even of the current generation. I'm hoping that the Switch version of the original PD gives it the visuals it always deserved.

• Like 4

Fun little bit I just noticed... If you let Virtua Racing on Switch cycle through its short intro a few times, the characters holding up the plain blue card change.  I don't recognize them all, but a couple appear to be the big bald dudes from Golden Axe :)

And another couple appear to be the funny concerned looking polygon Virtua Racing ladies from the pic up above.

• Like 2

Isn't it pretty? I love it when home versions of arcade games are better than the originals. 

M2 stated that they'd love to give Star Wars Arcade (Sega, not Atari) this treatment. All the recent licensing of the old Atari Star Wars coin-op makes me think that maybe Disney is game to try this when the previous owners were not. I like the flat-shaded stuff and would love to see a proper port of this obscure game that I've only played on the 32X. 

Especially if M2 were allowed to make it a little better than the original. ?

• Like 2

barring that, i think a game i'd like to see for the M2 classics is Galaxy Force II (I think this is what it's called), lol.  I think that one was 50 cents(!) to play in the arcade with the crazy moving cockpit- I had it on the 3DS and would love it on the Switch, too.

Out of the box, even on the beginning race I felt like Virtua Racing gave me a run for my money.  I think I had to play like 4 or 5 races until I was consistently coming in 2nd and 1st place.  I haven't even tackled Intermediate or Expert yet.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Oh, such yawn. This is just a placeholder while they work on another big 3D game, right?

Or maybe there's some hidden depth to Columns I'm not able to appreciate?

edit: Shaun put it much better than I did

Seems as if someone at SEGA is passionate about the game:

M2 also seems to want to do arcade games whenever possible (which could certainly help freshen the Sega Ages line itself) and it seems the ST-V is beyond their tech.  I imagine that SEGA arcade games from the late 1980s to the early to mid 1990s is full of untapped games that have never come to console. 

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I'm all for arcade games, I just want some more interesting ones. ?

They've expressed a desire to do the Model 1 (same platform as Virtual Racing) Star Wars game. That would be a great fit for the Switch and I hope they get to it. 

I find it difficult to believe it will happen because of the licence, but it would be a very pleasant surprise. Especially if they can add options to make it easier since I wasn't able to go very far on the 32X port. ? It blew my mind at the time because I think the frame rate wasn't locked. So sometimes a sole TIE-Fighter would cross the screen in 60 fps which was completely surreal for a 3D game on a home system at the time... ?
I would really like an arcade-perfect port of Virtua Fighter, also from Model 1.
But at the top of my most wanted list is Virtual On. It was already disappointing that there was no Virtual On game on the Wii even though a mini-game from Super Monkey Ball used the Wiimote and nunchuk as twin sticks. And I'm convinced that Nintendo created Arms just to remind SEGA that it would be a perfect fit for the Switch! :P 

• Like 3