IGNORED

Sega Ages Switch: M2's Sega 3D Classics line coming to the Switch.

Atariboy

8 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I find it difficult to believe it will happen because of the licence, but it would be a very pleasant surprise. Especially if they can add options to make it easier since I wasn't able to go very far on the 32X port. ? It blew my mind at the time because I think the frame rate wasn't locked. So sometimes a sole TIE-Fighter would cross the screen in 60 fps which was completely surreal for a 3D game on a home system at the time... ?
I would really like an arcade-perfect port of Virtua Fighter, also from Model 1.
But at the top of my most wanted list is Virtual On. It was already disappointing that there was no Virtual On game on the Wii even though a mini-game from Super Monkey Ball used the Wiimote and nunchuk as twin sticks. And I'm convinced that Nintendo created Arms just to remind SEGA that it would be a perfect fit for the Switch! :P 

I agree fully on all your points.

I would almost think, for Virtua Fighter, they could just take what's on VF4:EVO as the 10th Anniversary special.  It's amazing if you haven't played it.  Basically, high resolution flat shaded polygon characters from VF4 (in the VF1 style!) with the VF1 stages but all the moves from VF4.  It's a treat and one of my favorite PS2 games.  I play the anniversary extra game more than VF4 Evo :P

And yes, Arms feels nearly EXACTLY like Virtual On!  You nailed that one, I couldn't place why the experience was so familar. :D

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

im one of the whaliest whales of em all, lol.  i think Virtua Fighter would be awesome, but also still holding out for Galaxy Force 2 (which i've said like a hundred times)

I don't think Virtua Fighter has ever had a truly faithful arcade adaptation. The Saturn version is good but the characters are smaller and simplified and the frame rate is slow. Remix might actually be better than the arcade original. 32X was good for the hardware but that's not enough. I can't remember the PC version, maybe it was close? And the version that came with VF4 on PS2 was more of a remake than a straight port. I join you in wishing VF would get the M2 treatment. They'd probably want some AM2 help because fighting games seem like they'd be extra tricky to convert.  

11 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I don't think Virtua Fighter has ever had a truly faithful arcade adaptation. The Saturn version is good but the characters are smaller and simplified and the frame rate is slow. Remix might actually be better than the arcade original. 32X was good for the hardware but that's not enough. I can't remember the PC version, maybe it was close? And the version that came with VF4 on PS2 was more of a remake than a straight port. I join you in wishing VF would get the M2 treatment. They'd probably want some AM2 help because fighting games seem like they'd be extra tricky to convert.  

True all that.  But with all that said, it is so awesome that we got an Arcade perfect VF2 (and Fighting Vipers, and Sonic: The Fighters) on PS3 / 360 / Xb1.  The Bridge stage!  :)  Going to play that today, just for the sake of it.

And then go back to the Wishful thinking part and throw out Last Bronx.  That would be a fun M2 remake, even if it wasn't that popular or commonly found.  Ooh, or...M2 should make a Fighter's MegaMix!!  Maybe a pseudo sequel, a huge love letter to all the Sega fighting games, including stupid stuff like Golden Axe: the Duel.  Throw in random characters like Ristar and Dynamite Headdy.  

• Like 2

I love Virtua Fighter 2 and Last Bronx but the Saturn ports were pretty solid, so (if I had to choose) I'd prefer the first Virtua Fighter or any game that has not been ported 'properly'. Or never ported, like Scud Race. ? My top 5 (arcade games) would be:

1. Virtual On
  2. Crack Down (I wish they ported this hi-res game rather than Gain Ground, but it could be a way to reuse part of their work)
  3. Scud Race
  4. Virtua Fighter
  5. Die Hard Arcade (one of my favorite games ever, but I rank it last because the Saturn port is already great)

There's also the true sequel to Golden Axe, but I was slightly disappointed when I tried it a few years ago. It has a lot of nice details, but it is clearly not as good as Die Hard Arcade as far as beat 'em ups go - then again, what is? :P

Also I probably realize in five minutes I forgot like 10 terrific other games I want even more. ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I love Virtua Fighter 2 and Last Bronx but the Saturn ports were pretty solid, so (if I had to choose) I'd prefer the first Virtua Fighter or any game that has not been ported 'properly'. Or never ported, like Scud Race. ? My top 5 (arcade games) would be:

1. Virtual On
  2. Crack Down (I wish they ported this hi-res game rather than Gain Ground, but it could be a way to reuse part of their work)
  3. Scud Race
  4. Virtua Fighter
  5. Die Hard Arcade (one of my favorite games ever, but I rank it last because the Saturn port is already great)

There's also the true sequel to Golden Axe, but I was slightly disappointed when I tried it a few years ago. It has a lot of nice details, but it is clearly not as good as Die Hard Arcade as far as beat 'em ups go - then again, what is? :P

Also I probably realize in five minutes I forgot like 10 terrific other games I want even more. ?

Planet Harriers, Scud Race, Daytona 2, Golden Axe and the ambulance game that I can't quite remember the name the name of all spring to mind as stuff I only got to play a couple of times that I'd like to see come home. Actually, I'm not sure I ever played the Golden Axe sequel in the arcade.

1 hour ago, dj_convoy said:

Planet Harriers, Scud Race, Daytona 2, Golden Axe and the ambulance game that I can't quite remember the name the name of all spring to mind as stuff I only got to play a couple of times that I'd like to see come home. Actually, I'm not sure I ever played the Golden Axe sequel in the arcade.

I've never played Planet Harriers so of course I didn't remember it but it would be a good opportunity to revive it indeed, even though it might be too advanced like Scud Race and Daytona 2 for standard emulation.

13 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

1. Virtual On
  3. Scud Race
  4. Virtua Fighter

Couldn't agree more on DHA, just love it, one of my top two or three Saturn titles, one of my favorite all time games for any system.  Combination of goofy polygons, heavy artillery, pro wrestling moves, and the ability to hit an opponent with a grandfather clock!  Or a bazooka, the choice is yours. :P  Remake would be huge on my list.

Disagree just as strongly as I agreed with the previously mentioned if you're talking about Golden Axe: The Return of Death Adder.  I just LOVE that arcade game and have been just dying for a home release for decades now.  I love the animation, the branching paths, the controls, the art style, the ability to team up for special moves, the Centaur, the Ogre, the way the bad tree guys crunch when you smash them.  If you're talking about GA: The Duel for Saturn, well, that's a middling effort at best (though has some positives).  I would just LOVE to see any home version of GA:TRODA.  And would lose my mind if M2 gave it their shine, polish, and magic touch.

On the Wishful thinking branch...going to throw out Slashout, as well as the crazy Japanese editions of Dynamite Deka 2.  Never got to play Slashout but people seemed to love it & it looks great.  Also still waiting for a home port of Daytona 2.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

There was supposed to be a new "90's Arcade Racer" for Wii U and later Switch in the same style as Daytona or Scud Race that never came along, despite Nicalis getting involved. 

This looks amazing, and I can't spin this is a very positive way...it's such a shame that it never got release in any capacity.  It's like...Speed Devils meets Daytona 2 or something.  Dang.

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

I've never played Planet Harriers so of course I didn't remember it but it would be a good opportunity to revive it indeed, even though it might be too advanced like Scud Race and Daytona 2 for standard emulation.

Yeah, I doubt those will be Switch bound anytime soon, certainly.

9 hours ago, Curious Sofa said:

Disagree just as strongly as I agreed with the previously mentioned if you're talking about Golden Axe: The Return of Death Adder.  I just LOVE that arcade game and have been just dying for a home release for decades now.  I love the animation, the branching paths, the controls, the art style, the ability to team up for special moves, the Centaur, the Ogre, the way the bad tree guys crunch when you smash them.

Yes, I was talking about Golden Axe: The Return of Death Adder but, like I said, I don't think it's a bad game; I was probably expecting too much. Plus I was playing alone so I never had the opportunity to try 'the ability to team up for special moves'. It's (audio)visually outstanding, but I had the feeling there were not that many moves - maybe I missed some.

In terms of beat 'em ups, my favorites are Die Hard Arcade, Streets of Rage 2 and Double Dragon Advance, three games in which there are A LOT of different moves. Dynamite Deka 2 was a huge letdown for me because it had less moves than DHA; for some reason they were dispatched between the three characters (or between the normal and berzerk mode), which makes it a lot more repetitive alas. I got so 'spoiled' by the three games above that I find most other brawlers uninteresting, including the ones by Capcom (Final Fight, the D&D games, etc.) - I'll definitely buy the Capcom compilation one day, however.

And if Golden Axe: The Return of Death Adder is released as a SEGA AGES game, I'll be the first in line to buy it! I'm a Makoto Uchida fanboy anyway (I must have bought Altered Beast at least 6 times ^^).

• Like 3

22 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Yes, I was talking about Golden Axe: The Return of Death Adder but, like I said, I don't think it's a bad game; I was probably expecting too much. Plus I was playing alone so I never had the opportunity to try 'the ability to team up for special moves'. It's (audio)visually outstanding, but I had the feeling there were not that many moves - maybe I missed some.

In terms of beat 'em ups, my favorites are Die Hard Arcade, Streets of Rage 2 and Double Dragon Advance, three games in which there are A LOT of different moves. Dynamite Deka 2 was a huge letdown for me because it had less moves than DHA; for some reason they were dispatched between the three characters (or between the normal and berzerk mode), which makes it a lot more repetitive alas. I got so 'spoiled' by the three games above that I find most other brawlers uninteresting, including the ones by Capcom (Final Fight, the D&D games, etc.) - I'll definitely buy the Capcom compilation one day, however.

And if Golden Axe: The Return of Death Adder is released as a SEGA AGES game, I'll be the first in line to buy it! I'm a Makoto Uchida fanboy anyway (I must have bought Altered Beast at least 6 times ^^).

I hear you on the different moves; it's what ruined Fighting Force and several other brawlers for me.  No combos, no different moves, etc.

I will have to give it a run through again but I liked what GA:TRODA had to offer there.  The creatures you can ride were a huge plus just like in the other GA games; in GA:TRODA, you can do jumping combo attacks with creatures, or in some cases you can pick up artillery weapons like the ballista or cannonball hurler and launch them from your steed.  It's a pretty crazy game in lots of ways.  Some of the air attack combos with steeds are really fun, as are the dash attacks.  

All that said I do see your point though; it doesn't have the variety of options that DHA does, where you have so many different combos or throws available in branching option paths once you begin.  It's got more than the GA games on Genesis had by good measure, and more than I would say Captain Commando had (though I do love that game too), but definitely fewer than DHA or Dynamite Deka.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 8:47 AM, Flojomojo said:

There was supposed to be a new "90's Arcade Racer" for Wii U and later Switch in the same style as Daytona or Scud Race that never came along, despite Nicalis getting involved. 

That project allegedly is still alive.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/09/90s_super_gp_is_still_alive_and_will_now_include_online_play

It's hard to believe after years of similar updates every year or so about how it's not dead yet, but who knows. That physical copy of Axiom Verge for the Wii U on my shelf suggests that anything is possible. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 4:08 PM, roots.genoa said:

But at the top of my most wanted list is Virtual On. It was already disappointing that there was no Virtual On game on the Wii even though a mini-game from Super Monkey Ball used the Wiimote and nunchuk as twin sticks. And I'm convinced that Nintendo created Arms just to remind SEGA that it would be a perfect fit for the Switch! :P 

A Virtual-On collection for the PS4 in Japan is coming on November 27.   How knows if it will come West or to the Switch, but at least some off-topic good news for you

https://gematsu.com/2019/09/cyber-troopers-virtual-on-masterpiece-19952001-for-ps4-launches-november-27-in-japan

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Masterpiece 1995~2001 will launch for PlayStation 4 via the PlayStation Store on November 27 in Japan for 4,500 yen, Sega announced during a Tokyo Game Show 2019 stage event.

The collection will include the following three titles:

• Cyber Troopers Virtual-On (1995)
  • Cyber Troopers Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram M.S.B.S. Ver. 5.66 (2000)
  • Cyber Troopers: Virtual-On Force (2001)

• Like 3

On 8/21/2019 at 2:56 PM, Abzeronow said:

First details on SEGA Ages Ichidant-R, "coming soon" to Japanese eShop.  Includes Arcade Mode (international version) and Mega Drive Mode.  Probably a September release in Japan.

https://gematsu.com/2019/08/sega-ages-puzzle-action-ichidant-r-first-details-screenshots

Ichidant-R comes to Japan on September 26.

https://gematsu.com/2019/09/sega-ages-puzzle-action-ichidant-r-launches-september-26-in-japan

SEGA also showed gameplay for the Ages versions of Shinobi (with the Marilyn posters replaced by the Altered Beast werewolf); Puyo Puyo 2; and Thunder Force AC.  Those three might be the October, November and December entries for Japan (if Sonic 2 isn't in there somewhere).  M2 is currently working on G-Loc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shinobi appears to be the next Sega Ages title for Japan.  "Coming soon" (November release likely)

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10/17/sega-ages-shinobi-is-dropping-soon-in-japan/

Will include an Arcade Mode and an Ages Mode(which is an Easy Mode that uses Joe Musashi from The Revenge of Shinobi).  I'll probably buy it when it comes to the West.

• 2 weeks later...