IGNORED

Sega Ages Switch: M2's Sega 3D Classics line coming to the Switch.

Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Curious Sofa said:

Panzer Dragoon Remake showed up by surprise today:

https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-26-panzer-dragoon-remake-bravely-default-demo.html

Not an M2 but thought this was the best thread for it...

SWEET. Thanks for the heads up. 

$25, 7GB

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/panzer-dragoon-remake-switch/

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I feel like dirty, really dirty.  I googled panzer dragoon switch physical.  LRG, really?  I bought it. :(

lol

And... Same. Bought the $60 version with the Saturn Longbox, and feel like a dirty, dirty whore.  As Flojomojo said...wait for months?  I am thinking about canceling, very seriously...  But...but...Saturn Longbox....

PanzerDragoon_MockUp_ClassicEdition_SWITCH_460x.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Curious Sofa said:

And... Same. Bought the $60 version with the Saturn Longbox, and feel like a dirty, dirty whore.  As Flojomojo said...wait for months?  I am thinking about canceling, very seriously...  But...but...Saturn Longbox....

OMG I'm glad I don't have whatever you have. Let's keep our social distancing because I don't want to catch it!

Those flimsy Saturn cases were a bad idea the FIRST time around! Ah, nostalgia. 

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/switch-limited-run-67-panzer-dragoon-classic-edition

The Panzer Dragoon Classic Edition includes:

• Limited Run #67: Panzer Dragoon (Switch) with booklet and full-color interior print.
  • Retro Sega Saturn long box jewel case with foam insert to hold the Switch case inside.
  • Long-box format instruction manual and exclusive production booklet.

Everything will be sealed inside the long box jewel case.

There is no purchase limit on this item. 

PLEASE NOTE: This item is currently in manufacturing. Artwork is subject to change, and the product will not ship until 2-4 months after the pre-order window closes. Future production updates will be visible on the product page and your account page. All orders are considered final and can not be canceled.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

OMG I'm glad I don't have whatever you have. Let's keep our social distancing because I don't want to catch it!

Those flimsy Saturn cases were a bad idea the FIRST time around! Ah, nostalgia. 

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/switch-limited-run-67-panzer-dragoon-classic-edition

The Panzer Dragoon Classic Edition includes:

• Limited Run #67: Panzer Dragoon (Switch) with booklet and full-color interior print.
  • Retro Sega Saturn long box jewel case with foam insert to hold the Switch case inside.
  • Long-box format instruction manual and exclusive production booklet.

Everything will be sealed inside the long box jewel case.

There is no purchase limit on this item. 

PLEASE NOTE: This item is currently in manufacturing. Artwork is subject to change, and the product will not ship until 2-4 months after the pre-order window closes. Future production updates will be visible on the product page and your account page. All orders are considered final and can not be canceled.

In my "defense" (really more of self-indictment)... I have, among other things, a nearly NIB Saturn apart from my "Play" Saturn, a NiGHTs pillowcase, a copy of Dragon Force with the Dragon CD art, and a Virtua Stick and Stunner NIB.  But I don't have Panzer Saga or Shining Force III anymore, sadly.  But definitely a severe case of SEGA!  :P

So they had my number when they made the classic edition with the agreed horribly breaky Saturn longbox.

But even so, might cancel, because $, and the fact that they're not even going to have this stuff out until what, June? July?  Redonk.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Curious Sofa said:

lol

YES wait for months.  I don't care.  I'm playing Animal Crossing and it would just get in the way.  Plus, it's ownership, not renting...and playing the LRG collectard abuse scam after the fact I don't think $40 is so bad, but hey $80-100+ as others seem to trend isn't happening either.  Patience, or take it in the ass...gee tough call. (not)

Long box is ultra tasty. If I wasn't buying my friend's MSX2+ and maybe some Neo Geo stuff soon, I'd totally buy this immediately. Good thing they are keeping preorders open until after I get paid again! I've never seen a long box in person and Japanese Mega-CD and Saturn games have standard CD jewel cases, so this will be nice.

5 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

So far it's much prettier than the Saturn original and plays well. Besides the longish loading screens, I haven't seen anything that crashed or seemed bugged. I haven't spent a lot of time with it but it seems yummy so far. 

You'll probably have trouble Google translating this so I will try to sum up:

- the sound mixing and editing are terrible, but the remastered music is not available yet

- you can't switch between cameras anymore, which is sometimes a problem (you can't see some enemies)

- the cursor can sometimes miss enemies with original controls, fortunately there are new controls...

- ...but controls can't be changed in game

- the camera rotation is slower than in the original game, which is a big problem

I also read that the shooting lacks any impact, and makes the whole experience quite dull. :(

Nintendo Life's review mostly confirms all of that: https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/panzer_dragoon_remake

6/10 is quite bad for Nintendo Life... ?

• Like 2

$25 seems like an awful lot for a remaster of a 20+ year old game that didn't sell all that well to begin with...

I was really excited about this too, but that's when I was expecting it to be like a $10 release. Not like $25 is unaffordable or anything, but for $25 I expect it to be not just a perfect remaster, but a clear improvement, and a game that's going to give me $25 worth of entertainment. It doesn't sound like it's any of those things.

I also don't know that I've ever spent $25 on any digital release, much less a remaster of an older game. For that price I expect physical media. There are just too many good games that cost $5-$10 to spend that much on a digital release. Panzer Dragoon Orta for Xbox One, which is clearly a superior game, only costs $9.99...

22 hours ago, spacecadet said:

$25 seems like an awful lot for a remaster of a 20+ year old game that didn't sell all that well to begin with...

I was really excited about this too, but that's when I was expecting it to be like a $10 release. Not like $25 is unaffordable or anything, but for $25 I expect it to be not just a perfect remaster, but a clear improvement, and a game that's going to give me $25 worth of entertainment. It doesn't sound like it's any of those things.

I also don't know that I've ever spent $25 on any digital release, much less a remaster of an older game. For that price I expect physical media. There are just too many good games that cost $5-$10 to spend that much on a digital release. Panzer Dragoon Orta for Xbox One, which is clearly a superior game, only costs $9.99...

I do hear you, and your logic is sound.  I agree about a lot of great games being less, and I get you on the price.  But, PD has a wonder and majesty, and to lots it's worth the $25.  As well, keep in mind they just released Stranger's Wrath HD for $29.99.  Great, great game...but just saying, they price them up there sometimes nowadays.

But just in case you're honestly confused about the hubbub... watch the YT review of this by Sega Lord X.  He goes into more detail about the history of the game and what it meant at the time.  If it didn't sell well at the start, well, neither did the Saturn :D  Another decent review I saw was from, surprisingly enough, Maximillian Dood (he's nearly 100% fighting game guru, but occasionally does other content, and is a very smart guy).  Both basically said it's really good, but not perfect.

For my personal part, Panzer Dragoon was an insane and majestic game to have.  And yes, I'm one of the six crazy people to have bought a Saturn at Launch for $399.  I got Virtua Fighter packed in, and I had Panzer Dragoon, and it blew people away.  I was never great at it, but loved it anyway, mostly for the special world they created in it - really took you into its fantasy in a way 16-bit games couldn't manage.  One of my favorite days in video game history was the day I happened into my local game store (RIP actual non-chain game stores, and for that matter, physical media lol), and they had just received Panzer Dragoon II and Nightwarriors.  It's a wonder I ever left the house again. ;) 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sega Ages Thunder Force AC launches in the US on the 28th, which is actually today. Not sure about Europe, but it's been available in Japan for some time now. Thunder Force is awesome, so if you've never played Thunder Force, now's your chance to fix that with this game and also Sega Ages Thunder Force IV. I've never played Thunder Force AC, but it's the arcade port of Thunder Force III, which is a super awesome game. I do own both on the Saturn thanks to the Thunder Force Gold Packs I got the other day, so I'll definitely play AC when my Saturn arrives.

I think only Herzog Zwei is left now. That's another awesome game that nobody ever talks about. Not sure if I'll get it on the Switch since I have the original Japanese Mega Drive version, but it's really awesome and you should definitely try it.

Only one more Sega Ages release left. :(

I hope we get some news on this front soon. There's no shortage of deserving 2D Sega arcade classics left that could be covered. M2 doesn't seem interested in the golden age stuff (Too bad Hamster couldn't license titles like Turbo for their Arcade Archives line), but lots of Super Scalers and such left in Sega's back catalog that could make wonderful Switch releases.

I suspect if sales have disappointed overall (A year ago the news said the line had underperformed in Japan but that sales were exceeding expectations in the west), I think it's largely due to the game lineup. The home console games have been frequently rereleased and I don't think excite too many people when they can just buy a Genesis compilation for $30 and get solid versions of 30 or 40 16-bit classics. And some of the arcade selections have been a bit bizarre, at least where western tastes are concerned.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

I was quite surprised that they released Gain Ground in this line. I never expected to see it, but I'm glad it did get a release since the game is good. We need more Super Scalers, and without looking, I think the only one in the collection is Out Run. Any of the rest of them would be great, but I think that Sega is killing Sega Ages after Herzog Zwei.

Herzog Zwei is the greatest mystery of the whole collection because it has never been ported or officially emulated before. I am glad it's getting this release and it will be very nice to see this game show up on a different system for the first time since its release. I just checked the back of the box and it says 1989. That's far too long for a game as important as this one to never get a rerelease. It absolutely requires you to read the instruction manual or something, and there is probably no way you can play it without doing that, but it really is a special game.

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Herzog Zwei is the greatest mystery of the whole collection because it has never been ported or officially emulated before. I am glad it's getting this release and it will be very nice to see this game show up on a different system for the first time since its release. 

Well heck they announced it more than a year ago already and we've been waiting this whole time. About time it comes out!