IGNORED

Question about MaxFlash 1 MB cart

arcade124

A bit of a noob question here, but I've never ordered from the site before and am extremely confused. I recieved the 1 MB MaxFlash today, but I didn't receive the adapter to load roms onto it. From what I've seen, this is supposed to be included and necessary for transferring roms onto it. Is there something I'm missing?

First there was a perl application to build the xex files wanted into an ATR that is used to flash the MaxFlash cart. And now there is a downloadable file called Maxflash Cartridge Studio used to build the xex files into cartridge form ATR flashable with the Atari and a SIO2PC (SIO2SD,SDRIVE) and others..

You can program the cart right in the computer. You just plug it in and boot a pre-built ATR that contains the flashing program and the image to be flashed. You can download some from the Atarimax forum, or you can build your own with the studio software rdea6 mentioned. One way to boot your computer from ATR images is with an SIO2PC or SIO2USB cable.

You program the cartridge using your Atari computer! How cool is that!! You need a SIO2PC to program it, or you can also create an ATR disk image to write to a real disk and do it that way, but you need a way to copy the ATR to disk so might as well use the SIO2PC way!

Edited by tjlazer

So is the USB programmer device only optional, not necessary?

I have a cart (SIC or maybe xegs ramcart) that you use software on your PC to create a list of games and then it compiles it into an .atr file. You then reboot with the cart in the slot, boot this new .atr file and it flashes the 'creation' to the cart

Is the maxflash a similar system?

So is the USB programmer device only optional, not necessary?

I have a cart (SIC or maybe xegs ramcart) that you use software on your PC to create a list of games and then it compiles it into an .atr file. You then reboot with the cart in the slot, boot this new .atr file and it flashes the 'creation' to the cart

Is the maxflash a similar system?

Exactly. As the .atr file is larger than any common "old" Atari storage medium you need some kind of "modern" storage solution (such as a SIO2SD or SIO2PC) for that .atr file.

I'm confused. The only reason I can think of to own one of these carts, is to use it to run programs on a real Atari computer. How are you planning to use it?

What I'm asking is: I have an XEGS. I bought the MaxFlash to play roms on it. Do I need the programmer to get the roms onto it, and if not, what other methods are there?

What I'm asking is: I have an XEGS. I bought the MaxFlash to play roms on it. Do I need the programmer to get the roms onto it, and if not, what other methods are there?

You have two options

1) buy the optional programer

2) use an SIO2PC to program the cart via the XEGS

Read the information on the ATARIMAX website

A bit of a noob question here, but I've never ordered from the site before and am extremely confused. I recieved the 1 MB MaxFlash today, but I didn't receive the adapter to load roms onto it. From what I've seen, this is supposed to be included and necessary for transferring roms onto it. Is there something I'm missing?

You should read this post. The first couple topics will be very helpful.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/176545-topic-for-newbies/?do=findComment&comment=2199612

You have two options

1) buy the optional programer

2) use an SIO2PC to program the cart via the XEGS

Read the information on the ATARIMAX website

What I mean is, where can I buy the programmer by itself? I don't see it listed anywhere.

The XEGS IS a real Atari computer and can be used to program the cart. You'd probably need the optional keyboard though. Do you have the keyboard?

Unfortunately, no.

The XEGS IS a real Atari computer and can be used to program the cart. You'd probably need the optional keyboard though. Do you have the keyboard?

Is the keyboard needed to boot an ATR to flash the cart? To keep things simple he should just get the Atarimax programmer. Once programmed, he can navigate the cartridge menu with the joystick. But then a lot of games do use the keyboard for various functions, so it's not a bad idea to get one eventually.

Is the keyboard needed to boot an ATR to flash the cart? To keep things simple he should just get the Atarimax programmer. Once programmed, he can navigate the cartridge menu with the joystick. But then a lot of games do use the keyboard for various functions, so it's not a bad idea to get one eventually.

You need to verify that you want to proceed, so yes. All you really need is Y, N and Enter, so it would probably be easy enough to modify the flasher to use left, right and fire as alternative inputs, for XEGS owners without a keyboard.