IGNORED

Thanks and Cheers to A8 coders & creators

Fingolfin

All the names of the coders I know of have been mentioned, but I'd just like to chime in with my thanks as well. I play the heck out of several homebrew titles, and many of the arcade hacks are great as well.

I know well how much work goes into doing something like this. So hats off, and thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply mytek; I tried to answer Philsan's asking this question but it probably got buried in my own replying and quirky formatting! The answer is YES!

Some already asked this, but I didn't see an answer given. Is the term 'Creator' and this topic only to be applied to software, or is this also in reference to new hardware design?

The answer is absolutely YES!

And so more folks need to be added like Lotharek and yourself!

Though when you choose to capitalize 'Creator' it makes me a little uncomfortable! :P

Only coders and creators (note the small c's ;) ) being thanked and honored here! :thumbsup:

No Creator's being acknowledged or thanked here; that'd be pretty weird of me to start a proselytistic post here, especially in the A8 forum! :-o

That would be a total AtariAge noob mistake! :lol:

Am I in the wrong place/website/multiverse?

Of course if I did start a proselytistic thread acknowledging and thanking Creators -- with a capital C -- I'd at least have the decency to do so in either Introductions or Marketplace! :grin:

Or just as a general update for all to share in! :o

Sorry mytek and everyone else, I got carried away and needed a good laugh at my own expense! :)

• Like 1

Though when you choose to capitalize 'Creator' it makes me a little uncomfortable! :P

Only coders and creators (note the small c's ;) ) being thanked and honored here! :thumbsup:

That was my tablet's auto capitalization fault ;) . Thanks for the confirmation :) .

• Like 1

Update Monday 4/16/18

Thank you rdea6 for adding several more names (both posts)! :thumbsup:

They've all been added to the updated master list.

Thank you Xuel for adding a few more names! :thumbsup:

Thank you MaPa for the clarification regarding PG and pseudografix being one and the same! :thumbsup:

This has been noted on the updated master list.

Thank you playsoft for clarifying that you're Paul Lay and for mentioning darryl1970 (thanks also for the cheers). :thumbsup:

Sorry for my confusion over you and kiwlove/Harvey being the same person! Glad to know you both. :)

This fact has been noted on the updated master list; darryl1970 has been added too.

Thank you Fox-1 / mmx for adding several more names! :thumbsup:

Thank you Wrathchild for adding R0ger - Bad Apple / Rescue! :thumbsup:

He's been added to the updated master list.

Thanks for your replies Heaven/TQA and Rybags! :thumbsup:

All new A8 coders and creators are to be thanked and recognized! Thanks for what you've done and continue to do! :)

Thanks mytek for your question! :thumbsup:

It's been answered in the affirmative and you and Lotharek have been added to the updated master list.

Who else needs to be added?

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful reply and for adding thanks and expressing appreciation Mclaneinc! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your thanks and appreciation Lord Thag! :thumbsup:

Thank you to all who have replied and added thanks, appreciation and recognition to those who are coding and creating for A8!

Best Regards

Fingolfin

If someone has the inclination and energy, it would be nice to have "Giant List" exclusively for Atari 8 bits like the one that James Hague built for multiple developers of the 8 bit era: http://dadgum.com/giantlist/. I would expect several individuals are in both lists but I didn't spend a lot of time looking. For example, Paul Lay is in your list and James Hague's list but Hague's list doesn't include Paul's work that is more recent than 1991:

Lay, Paul

[TB] Freeway Ace (1985, 800, Page 6) Sprong (1985, 800, Red Rat) [T] Freeway Ace (1986, 800, Page 6) [T] Floyd the Droid Goes Blastin' (1986, 800, ANALOG) [TB] Revenger (1986, 800, Page 6) Floyd The Droid On The Run (1986, ST, ANALOG) Missing...One Droid (1986, 800, Bug-Byte) [T] Munchy Madness (1986, 800, Page 6) Boulder Dash-like [T] Heavy Metal (1988, 800, Page 6) Mad (ST, Page 6) Boulder Dash-like Crossland (1988, ST, Soundware) [T] Star Rider (1989, 800, Page 6) Pogotron (1989, 800, Artronic) [T] Hot Blocks (1990, 800, New Atari User) Tetris-like Spaced Out (1991, ST, New Atari User)

• Like 1

Thank you so much Fingolfin. It is amazing to be mentioned within people who are so much more talented than I am. You had great courage naming this list, as there would always be other people adding to the list, no one individual would get a full list, but it's fantastic that you recognised those that you knew off hand.

I just think, contribute whatever you can. I hold the likes of Phaeron and Flashjazzcat up really high (amongst many others may I say) and I cannot do what they do, but I do what I can.

I am amazed and at the same time incredibly thankful to those who contribute to this scene. I have to feel for the programmers somewhat, in that they put so so many hours in, yet depending on what is being worked on, it may or may not be appreciated. Not everybody likes every game. But I can say that I appreciate that each game is produced for our Atari systems.

It is very touching that at least two (that I know of) that are in your list have passed away. Not many of us will get to our final years still doing work for the Atari, they did. May they rest in peace.

• Like 1

To long list of programmers I mentioned in post #5 (where I didn't mention people already named in previous posts) I would like to add

Gury

Homesoft

nosty

I don't deserve a thank you for my programming skills but I made some demos and two games. Now I am working on another one.

People I mentioned are programmers with an AtariAge account.

There are tens of programmers without AA account, especially friends from Eastern Europe.

If someone has the inclination and energy, it would be nice to have "Giant List" exclusively for Atari 8 bits like the one that James Hague built for multiple developers of the 8 bit era: http://dadgum.com/giantlist/. I would expect several individuals are in both lists but I didn't spend a lot of time looking. For example, Paul Lay is in your list and James Hague's list but Hague's list doesn't include Paul's work that is more recent than 1991:

Lay, Paul

[TB] Freeway Ace (1985, 800, Page 6) Sprong (1985, 800, Red Rat) [T] Freeway Ace (1986, 800, Page 6) [T] Floyd the Droid Goes Blastin' (1986, 800, ANALOG) [TB] Revenger (1986, 800, Page 6) Floyd The Droid On The Run (1986, ST, ANALOG) Missing...One Droid (1986, 800, Bug-Byte) [T] Munchy Madness (1986, 800, Page 6) Boulder Dash-like [T] Heavy Metal (1988, 800, Page 6) Mad (ST, Page 6) Boulder Dash-like Crossland (1988, ST, Soundware) [T] Star Rider (1989, 800, Page 6) Pogotron (1989, 800, Artronic) [T] Hot Blocks (1990, 800, New Atari User) Tetris-like Spaced Out (1991, ST, New Atari User)

Huge giant list!

In A8 world, Fandal's website has a complete database of homebrew games and demos programmers and a good database of old games programmers.

Atarimania has a good list too and searches are easier than on previous website; but the database is less complete on demos/homebrews side.

Many demos coders/musicians/graphic artists are on Demozoo or Pouët but I don't know if it is possible to search by platform.

• Like 2

Update: getting caught up this morning for the last day or so's posts.

Thank you for clarifying that Bad Apple and Rescue are examples of R0ger's work, Wrathchild.

I hadn't seen those demos until this morning; I watched YouTube samples for both: cool stuff! :cool:

Thanks for sharing that information again and for adding R0ger to the list! :thumbsup:

Great suggestion Schlortt!

I hadn't seen James Hague's "Giant List" before: very impressive database and most extensive resource. :o

Thank you for sharing that here! :thumbsup:

Thank you for the thanks back snicklin! ;)

Even more than that thank you for your very kind and thoughtful words regarding coders and creators who are now deceased. |:)

Thank you for your reply and for what you do in coding and creating for the A8 scene, mgr_inz_rafal! :thumbsup:

Thank you for adding to the list Philsan! :thumbsup:

Please let's add any of the folks you think deserve credit here who are from Eastern Europe!

I don't think we should limit acknowledgement and thanks to those who are only AtariAge members: to my way of thinking, if any AtariAge members benefit from the coding and creating work of others, regardless of where they live or to what online communities they belong, those coders and creators should be recognized and thanked here too!

As far as I'm concerned all of the guys listed need/needed to be recognized and thanked! Thanks again and cheers to you all! :)

Best Regards

Fingolfin

Don't hate me :D but listing all A8 programmers/graphic artists/musicians who made a game or demo since the release of the A8 will create a list of thousands of people.... Is that what we want to create here? There are already loads of sites where you can find the names of the people who created for the A8.

Just a suggestion, I think it would be nice to thank everyone who created something for the A8 in the last (for example) 5 years? Thanks to the people who are still creating new stuff for the A8?

Just a thought ;)

• Like 3

How could anyone hate you Fred_M? And I'm eternally in your debt for helping me with my SIO2SD connectivity issue(s)! :grin:

No way my friend! And you're absolutely correct: this post is/was aimed at thanking current/recent A8 coders and creators -- not all A8 coders and creators who ever lived.

Don't hate me :D but listing all A8 programmers/graphic artists/musicians who made a game or demo since the release of the A8 will create a list of thousands of people.... Is that what we want to create here? There are already loads of sites where you can find the names of the people who created for the A8.

Just a suggestion, I think it would be nice to thank everyone who created something for the A8 in the last (for example) 5 years? Thanks to the people who are still creating new stuff for the A8?

Just a thought ;)

I am glad you brought this up because in spite of all the words I've used in this post :-o I've not been specific enough: this thread is/was intended to acknowledge and thank all of those who have contributed to the contemporary A8 scene as a coder or creator of software or hardware.

So to be clear: all current/recent A8 coders and creators of software and hardware are to be acknowledged and thanked. :thumbsup:
My original intent in starting this thread was to name and thank as many current/recent A8 coders and creators as possible.
Current and contemporary coders and creators meaning going back the last 10 years (or so); this is obviously subjective but 10 years or so seems fair, reasonable and proper for the spirit of the thread (I hope!).
And yes, absolutely anyone and everyone who is still creating new stuff for the A8. :thumbsup:
I completely agree with Fred_M that not all coders and creators who ever made software and hardware for the Atari 8 bits should be thanked and acknowledged; that would be very cumbersome and would be a different post altogether. ;)
Best Regards
Fingolfin
edit/addition
cleaning up; making different fonts one/uniform :)
Edited by Fingolfin
  • Like 1

This sounds like an ideal task for someone who feels - that they're not able to contribute - in the way of assisting to create software/hardware for the A8 scene - but like to contribute anyway...

To create (or at least start to create) - hmmmm, at least 2 giant lists - of those who created stuff back in the day - Atari at that time did not make known who were the programmers behind their noteworthy computer videogames - but since then - some of the programmers have been named though I have a bad memory as to who they were and what games they worked on... And another list of so-called homebrews post 1990? or 2000?

Anyone who created stuff in the early days of vintage home computing - did inspire others to follow suit - and especially those who provided hardware assistance - so that we can do without disk drives. And I think the emulators were pivotal in helping to revive interest in the old A8 hardware - and proved invaluable in testing of new software development.

It will be a lot of work to create these lists - and to recheck details to ensure accuracy. Probably partial lists are around already?

Harvey

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply Harvey! :thumbsup:

Your points are well considered and most apt in connecting past A8 coding and creating with current and contemporary A8 coding and creating.

However, I only intended to acknowledge and thank contemporary and current/recent coders and creators here in this thread.

It would seem best if an effort were to be made to catalog and archive all of the work of all A8 coders and creators since the first 400/800s, that such an undertaking would be attempted by a couple or few experienced Atari archivists or perhaps a group of highly motivated individuals including some experienced, active Atari archivists as they have access to the type of info that would be necessary for two such giant lists, one of past coders and creators and another with new coders and creators.

And maybe it would be possible to get permission to access James Hague's "Giant List" database/archive for the purpose of trying to create a master list of original coders and creators for A8. That could certainly help a lot with the list of early A8 coders and creators.

Hope this reply makes sense!

Thank you for making and sharing AtariBlast! :jango:

Best Regards

Fingolfin

edit/addition

fixed misspelled AtariBlast! :-o

Edited by Fingolfin

This sounds like an ideal task for someone who feels - that they're not able to contribute - in the way of assisting to create software/hardware for the A8 scene - but like to contribute anyway...

To create (or at least start to create) - hmmmm, at least 2 giant lists - of those who created stuff back in the day - Atari at that time did not make known who were the programmers behind their noteworthy computer videogames - but since then - some of the programmers have been named though I have a bad memory as to who they were and what games they worked on... And another list of so-called homebrews post 1990? or 2000?

Anyone who created stuff in the early days of vintage home computing - did inspire others to follow suit - and especially those who provided hardware assistance - so that we can do without disk drives. And I think the emulators were pivotal in helping to revive interest in the old A8 hardware - and proved invaluable in testing of new software development.

It will be a lot of work to create these lists - and to recheck details to ensure accuracy. Probably partial lists are around already?

Harvey

Regarding homebrew programmers, as written in post #34, Fandal's website has a complete database of homebrew games/demos with programmers/musicians/artists names.

It's a very good source not only because it is complete but also because people mentioned have real names (many games have nicknames in titlescreen).

• Like 1

Hello and thanks for the name updates Sikor: glad to know you Pawel Sikorski! Gotta love the classic Godzilla too!

Thanks again for coding and creating for the A8! :thumbsup:

Hello R0ger. Thank you for your reply; I enjoyed watching YouTube video's of your A8 demos Bad Apple and Rescue.

Thanks again for coding and creating for the A8! :thumbsup:

Thanks for thanks I guess :-)

But what do the colors mean !?

Of what colors do you speak? Not sure what you mean.

Hello Gury and thanks for your reply. I have had your Atari 8 bit Forever site bookmarked for a while now ;) ; I use it as one of my primary A8 resources!

Thank you for all you do coding, creating, documenting and archiving for the A8! :thumbsup:

Best Regards

Fingolfin

Edited by Fingolfin

Thank you very much for adding to the list voy! :thumbsup:

Please continue to add any and all current, recent or contemporary coders and creators, folks who make A8 software and hardware.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post and considering adding to acknowledging and thanking all current/recent A8 coders and creators of software and hardware. :)

Best Regards

Fingolfin

Edited by Fingolfin

Thank you very much rdea6 for adding pajero and RAF (ABBUC) to the list of coders and creators to be acknowledged and thanked! :thumbsup:

Overdue adding Philsan as well!

Thank you for coding and creating for the A8 and for all you do for the A8 scene and AtariAge! :thumbsup:

And everyone let's please keep names coming of current/recent coders and creators of software and hardware that need to still be added to the list! :)

Thank you!

Best Regards

Fingolfin

Edited by Fingolfin
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for adding Rob Schlortt and Eric Henneke therealbountybob! :thumbsup:

I have to try Rain of Terror! :grin:

Thanks Rob and Eric for making and sharing Rain of Terror! :thumbsup:

Don't stop now: please keep current, contemporary and recent coders and creators still not acknowledged and thanked coming! :)

Best Regards and Happy Earth Day!

Fingolfin

Edited by Fingolfin