IGNORED

Flying Shark

Asmusr

No guarantees for the 9938 emulation (and no money back). :-D I never really looked deeper into its implementation, and some issues are already known (like unrealistic command performance).

I found this in the EVPC2 hardawware manual:

The built in interrupt Register of the cards allows the DSR to detect if the VDP was the source or not. This feature now allows the card to use the EXTNIT-line of the P-BOX-buss instead of the VDPINT (LCP) we used for SGCPU (“snug-CPU”).

Could this mean that it's not possible to poll for VDP interrupt using CRU bit 2?

Could this mean that it's not possible to poll for VDP interrupt using CRU bit 2?

I did not implement EVPC2 in MAME but EVPC. Accordingly, it uses the extra wire to route the interrupt into the console. The interrupt should still be at CRU bit 2 ... if you are using an EVPC.

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/devices/bus/ti99/internal/evpcconn.cpp

The description indeed sounds as if EXTINT signals the video interrupt.

I did not implement EVPC2 in MAME but EVPC. Accordingly, it uses the extra wire to route the interrupt into the console. The interrupt should still be at CRU bit 2 ... if you are using an EVPC.

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/devices/bus/ti99/internal/evpcconn.cpp

The description indeed sounds as if EXTINT signals the video interrupt.

The problem is indeed that you cannot poll the VDP interrupt from CRU bit 2 using an EVPC2 card. So I changed to status polling and it worked for atrax.

• Like 2

Actually, I have an AVPC Card but it still uses a v9938 chip so I would imagine it is the same for the AVPC, EVPC, and EVPC2. It is also most probably the same for the v9958 as well. Many thanks, Rasmus. That problem has been bugging me ever since SABRE WULF came out! Now I can play both of them, Where is the template for Ciro's label?

Actually, I have an AVPC Card but it still uses a v9938 chip so I would imagine it is the same for the AVPC, EVPC, and EVPC2. It is also most probably the same for the v9958 as well. Many thanks, Rasmus. That problem has been bugging me ever since SABRE WULF came out! Now I can play both of them, Where is the template for Ciro's label?

The v9938 doesn't seem to be the issue but rather how the interrupt is wired to the console. Do you have the AVPC card wired up to the 9918A as described here?

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/hardware/peb/avpc.html

• 2 weeks later...

Not that any of Rasmus' games are slouches by any means, I could have expected a game looking exactly like this in the arcade. Yes, I know this is a conversion of an arcade game but the quality is certainly arcade-quality.

BTW, I had several people at VCF ask if Super Mario Bros. would ever be completed.

• Like 1

Not that any of Rasmus' games are slouches by any means, I could have expected a game looking exactly like this in the arcade. Yes, I know this is a conversion of an arcade game but the quality is certainly arcade-quality.

BTW, I had several people at VCF ask if Super Mario Bros. would ever be completed.

Same to me at the Vintage Computer Festival the past weekend in Rome. lot of people Asked about Super Mario Bros if it is still in developing and i've explained about difficult on this but also if SPORTS can have the possibility to be completed, it could be very nice too have a Track and Field on TI99 i must admit.
it was nice to see the approach from Younger people that taken the Joystick to play SPORTS and didn't know how to run with the Athlete, after i explained to them how-to, after all was more funny, nice moments i seen among fathers and children.

Flying Shark also has been praised from lot enthusiasts 99ers... now more people know the power of Rasmus :)

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 3

The cartridge available from arcadeshopper contains a little bonus: If you hold down shift and press SKYWAY on the title screen you will load the Skyway game.

Another secret, which exists in all recent versions, is that if you press EVIGTLIV (with shift, from the title screen) the border will flash and you have infinite lives. This is good for practice, but note that you will never return to the high score page, even if you complete all 4 levels.

• Like 6

Another secret, which exists in all recent versions, is that if you press EVIGTLIV (with shift, from the title screen) the border will flash and you have infinite lives. This is good for practice, but note that you will never return to the high score page, even if you complete all 4 levels.

Oh yeah! I've always liked 'practice mode', 'god mode', 'cheat mode' or whatever you call it. When ones playing 'skills' are below par like mine, I wish every game had this option. Now you know why I don't show up it the High Score Competition thread much... it would be too embarrassing.

• 2 years later...

Gaming History Source on YouTube is premiering this right now.  I tuned in late just in time to see Rasmus' TI version playing among official home computer releases.  Will be 17:09 in the playback.

• Like 10

Relevant chat comments:

the best 8-bit version. Truly impressive for the TI-99. the sysyem was from 1979!

gotta say, the color separation and palette is impressive for a late 70s home computer

(Speaking of the Atari ST version)

the music and visuals are very underwhelming for a 16 bit game. The Texas and NES versions looked more pleasing, IMO

Not a lot of people in the chat for the premier.  Will have to see what happens in the comments section later.

• Like 7